Game died. Can't even reinstall

snoochems

Prince
Guys,

I tried a mod that said to defrag content and check game cache integrity. The "Check game integrity" got stuck at 33% for about 1 hour. So I closed it.

Since then, the game hasn't been able to launch.

Ironically, I've never had any problems with Civ 5 before doing these steps.

So I "deleted local content". I've deleted everything in My Games related to Civ 5, as well as everything in Steamapps.

I go to reinstall, and the install screen ("Creating Local game Cache Files...") seems to get stuck right at the end, for hours!. My CPU is doing squat, and it doesn't seem to be downloading anything.

I've rebooted, re-deleted, etc about 3 times now.

WTF!!!

Have you checked the integrity of the hard drive using software other than steam?

Sounds to me that steam is not your only issue, but your hard drive is failing. If it is ok, then you have a virus?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm quite confident my system is ok, including my HDD's.

I have a RAID0 SSD set up too. I would think if there was an issue, I would have more issues besides a single game refusing to install.

Virus or corrupted registry?

Virus or corrupted registry?

O.M.G.

Figured it out.

About a month ago, I went over my internet download quota because I was downloaded a few new games.

I have an ISP that hosts Steam content, and if downloaded from them, it does not count agaisnt my quota.

But how do I force steam to download from my ISP servers? OH, i'll try this application that starts a service to filter steam! Little did I know this filter stays active once the application closes.

So, the issue seems to be that Civ 5 isn't hosted on my ISP's Steam servers. The game must've been just sitting there waiting to download some files. I've removed the filter service, and wala... it is installing again.

Only after I uninstalled steam several times, and completely deleted the game files.

ugh.

Anyways, thanks very much for taking the time to look into it. It is much appreciated.

Top Bottom