Game engine speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LzPrst

Warlord
I just watched the devs play their Brazil game on youtube and while I find the game to be quite appealing (graphics slightly aside), but one thing I noticed was the wait time between turns. It started at about 10 seconds between turns and as they played for an hour went up to 20-30 seconds per turn, this was still early in the game (BCE). Once it went as far as a minute when the barbarians attacked, but for the most part, it was just loading AI actions.

Now I don't know what rig the devs were playing on, it could have been an ancient laptop, and they were streaming it, but I still feel that so early in the game a 10 second wait between turns is too long. Compare it to Civ4 (which was good), the early game a few seconds, the later game up to 10 seconds maybe. In Civ5, the game was very poorly optimized in terms of turn speed and I suspect that one of the reasons the game lost the active players that Civ4 had was because as the game progressed, it started winding down in terms of progress, both in what happened in the turns, but also what happened (or didn't happen) between turns. If Civ6 has the same issue as 5, then I can't imagine playing into the medieval/renaissance without being horribly bored between long turn waits.

Just to give an illustration, if it takes 1 minute between each turn in the last 90 turns, then that's 1,5 hour of gametime where you're not doing anything. It's like watching a full movie, except that movie is just a small globe spinning. And you're going to play the game many many times. Watching that little globe spin is going to become a very frustrating and boring "movie". Waiting and watching. That is very badly optimized, not to mention quite problematic in terms of game experience. With less than 3 months until release I suspect this is not really changeable at this stage. Will the game kill itself by wasting the player's time?

Well, let's hope and pray that it improves, because avg 18 seconds waits between turns between turns 46-68 is way too much. When I actually have time to play a game, I want to play the game...
(yes I counted)

I agree, the turn times are absolutely unacceptable.

animations can be turned off, but the AI "thought process" cannot be sped up. why cannot the AI "think" during player's turn?

P.S. imo, the last Firaxis's game with near instant turn times is civ2.

I agree, the turn times are absolutely unacceptable.

animations can be turned off, but the AI "thought process" cannot be sped up. why cannot the AI "think" during player's turn?

P.S. imo, the last Firaxis's game with near instant turn times is civ2.

I think that was Microprose not Firaxis.

Civilization 1 was pretty snappy.

This is really horrible.
I always wanted to play huge maps in civ 5, and failed because could not wait my turn after t100

What is sad, that the computer we have is more than 1000x faster then the one run civ1, and the turn times become 10 times slower :(

(I remember however that the original 'colonization' game was also quite slow, I had a x386 and I become quite strong by playing, because I used the turn times for weightlifting, maybe this should be the point :))

This is really horrible.
I always wanted to play huge maps in civ 5, and failed because could not wait my turn after t100

What is sad, that the computer we have is more than 1000x faster then the one run civ1, and the turn times become 10 times slower :(

(I remember however that the original 'colonization' game was also quite slow, I had a x386 and I become quite strong by playing, because I used the turn times for weightlifting, maybe this should be the point :))
Pretty sure a lot more is going on in ai processing than in civ1 lol.

Calm down, don't worry. There's likely two things that were slowing down the turn times for that build that will be fixed in the release version.

Firstly, it's very well possible that, in the background, the game is logging a lot of stuff. This is still a beta build, there are still bugs to iron out, so it's highly likely the game is writing down every thing that is happening to allow developers to debug the game.
By release, logging will either get completely removed, or only more important events are going to be logged. Right now, it's probably in debug mode, where everything is recorded.

Secondly, "premature optimization is the root of all evil". The AI is likely not completely optimized. In fact, the game even looked sluggish at times, so there's still some optimization to do. By release, it's likely the game will have better optimization.

:) So I wouldn't worry about it right now - maybe in a few months, when the game is approaching v1.0, we can re-evaluate the situation.

I become quite strong by playing, because I used the turn times for weightlifting, maybe this should be the point :))

If I was in the late game and there was enough units that it was slowing down the processing, I'd just read a few pages of whatever book I was in the middle of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom