Game files don't match the host's ?

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
If you're getting this message, please tell us what you have installed that could be triggering it.

Also, use this thread to discuss what you think is acceptable and not acceptable.
If anyone thinks we need a rule you can discuss that here too.

When I logged into the game it said my files does not match the host's. I was about to play the turn, but I didn't because I feared it might be against the rules. I was modding yesterday and by accident saved one of the game files, which I then promptly changed back. Everything should be fine, but I wanted to make sure before playing the turn.

I wasn't trying to load it with a mod, but it says my files weren't the same. Like I said I accidentally saved a modded file, but then changed it back. I'm not getting something saying that something is missing (from deleting or adding. It was only one file). Anyway to fix this? I hope you trust me enough not to cheat.

Actually if you care it was the file that sets the difficulty level, so I guess I could raise the happy and health cap, but I didn't. So it is okay if I play with this?

Here is what I've said so far. And if you want to know what I did to that file I added a difficulty above Deity, no other changes!

Difficulty does not affect happiness, but does affect tech costs and maintenance costs. That could potentially be a problem.

You should really try to keep all modded changes in their own separate "Mod" folder. That way there is no chance of them interfering with the normal game. The "Mod" folder in Civ4 is set up specifically so you can make any changes you want without messing up the main game, so there's really no reason not to use it for your modding. ;)

There tend to be quite a few posts in the tech support section from people who change the original game files without taking backups and it stops working. A reinstall is usually the answer in such cases. I echo Lord Parkin's comments, don't change your original files, keep your changes in the Mod folder.

Even when you log into this game with modded files you still play with the files which are on the server

One thing I'd like to be able to do is run with the BUG interface. But I haven't tried...

Suppose the server says someone has modified files, on this end where I can see it but others might not be able to? How would the players / teams like that to be handled?

I tried to open the game up with BUG, but it wouldn't let me. And I try to keep everything in a modded folder, but this one just slipped, but like I said I changed everything back and all I did was add something not change anything.

I have to reinstall civ to play my PBEM anyway. So that will come in a few days. I hope not one minds me play the warm up until then.

Actually I'm just going to see if I can replace the file. Anyone interested in helping me can do so here.

Okay everything's fixed.

Top Bottom