Game freeze after OSX Mavericks

direblade99

Warlord
Hey everyone,

Ever since I got OSX mavericks my game (and whole computer) have been completely freezing during turn numbers 100-150 [(I've tried 3 different games, 2 as Siam, 1 as Austria, none of which have gotten past turn 144 (111 Austria and a bit later for my Siam games)]

What happens is that my computer freezes except for my mouse which i can move around (and becomes spinning beachball of death) and the game music keeps going. I can't quit the game, can't command tab or command h out, can't interact with anything on the screen, can't bring up force quit, can't screen cap and can't command Q out. The only solution is to restart my computer.

Reloading doesn't fix the problem.

My computer is a late 2011 13 inch macbook pro, running OSX mavericks, with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB of ram, running Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 mb.
Software version is OS X 10.9

Up until I got OSX mavericks my computer has run the game with no problems, albeit at lower graphics settings, now my game is unplayable.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any ideas how to fix it?
Thanks

What size and type of map are you playing? I have a similar machine and can try to replicate your issue.

Also, what are your graphics settings? You should make sure they're returned to default.

In any case, you should make a support request here.

*edit* More RAM would likely help. I have 8 GB and this provides 512 MB reserved for graphics.

I generally play standard map size, pangaea, all standard settings except no barbs and quick movement/combat. All my graphics settings are actually lower than default because it doesn't run great on my computer on default. Everything was fine until OSX mavericks so I don't think it's hardware. (Also I'm only 15 and can't afford RAM :) )

Well, I've just played Austria up to turn 114 on a standard continents map. No issues here except the fans going constantly, as I'd expect. I'm going out for a bit but I'll play on when I get some time.

If there's a crash log for Civ in your console, could you copy/paste it into a text file and upload it?

Also, please let Aspyr know what's happening via a support ticket. They're actively gathering data regarding problems in Mavericks.

Aspyr Mavericks support

*edit* OK. I'm seeing the same symptoms as you at turn 149. I'll have a look in my logs.

*edit 2* Just found this. Set terrain tessalation to high. Played up to turn 170 with no further freezes.

Ok thanks I don't have time to do that now but I'll check later :)

I think it helped, I got up to like turn 215 in my Austria game before it froze, so just as I was nearing science victory, still, I would rather it not crash at all than crash rarely :)

I just played from turn 322 to 338 with no freezes in the Austrian game. I was playing it via Steam Cloud on my desktop machine last night, so I haven't gone all the way through with my laptop.

I still suspect a RAM upgrade would help, so you know what to ask for come Xmas!

Could you attach the autosave for turn 210 and I'll try playing that through?

I don't know how to do that, and it's still happening in every game (happened turn 104 with poland yesterday). It's really getting on my nerves now

To attach a file to a post, click Go Advanced under the Quick Reply area. Click Manage Attachments to get a pop-up window. Select the file you want to upload **. Click Upload

** Depending on your Civ5 version, your saved game files may be in:

Steam version: /Users/<your_home_folder>/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Saves/single/

OR

AppStore: /Users/<your_home_folder>/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/Saves/single/

Ok I couldn't work out what was the Austrian autosave, (it's in old autosaves somewhere but can't tell which it is), so I have attached a turn 136 manual save of the same game (that's the last time I saved unfortunately :/)

Attachments

• Maria Theresa_0136 AD-0520.Civ5Save
    933.8 KB · Views: 153
I've played your save up to turn 240 - quite fun actually - with no problems.

In my non-techie way, I guess it's a memory overload problem. I don't seem to get that with 16GB of RAM.

Hopefully one of the smarter folks here can suggest workarounds for your system.

Hey,

I'm having the same issue. Just upgraded to Mavericks, freezes all the time. No freezes beforehand. How did you fix the issue? I have roughly the same mac pro as you.

Have you tried technome's fix in post #4?

I know this post is way late but i was having the same exact issue with my early 2011 macbook pro and i upgraded the ram to 16gb. Im running el capitan. The support website for civ says its a known issue with macbooks with intel HD Graphics 3000 and they are taking the stance to say its officially an unsupported macbook. its 2016 now and the newer OS and any civ updates up until now have not resolved the issue. I love civ 5 and i love my macbook but they don't love each other...oh well life could be worse i suppose.:crazyeye:

What size and type of map are you playing? I have a similar machine and can try to replicate your issue.

Also, what are your graphics settings? You should make sure they're returned to default.

In any case, you should make a support request here.

*edit* More RAM would likely help. I have 8 GB and this provides 512 MB reserved for graphics.

Agreed. This is a classic case of INSERT MORE RAM! Don't beat your head against the wall on bud. Save up and upgrade. You can do it ;) PS: If 16s don't cut it than you just might want to get another computer. 32 should be standard really.

Top Bottom