Game freezes at end of turn

agnat86

Warlord
I've encountered a very annoying bug lately, after I hit the End Turn button, the other players all move their units in turn, but after the last one has moved, my new turn never starts.

Instead, it just says "waiting for other players," and the music and sound effects go on normally (though the music stops after a while), but the next turn never starts, and I cannot use any of the buttons or menus either, so the only way to get out of it, is by ending the game in Task Manager.

I've been playing the R&R mod, on Epic speed, on a Gigantic map, and until 1662, I never had any problems, but since then, it happens almost every turn. But I can't figure out what could have happened at that moment that caused this. Sometimes I can get one turn further by randomly placing or deleting units in worldbuilder, and sometimes by simply reloading it, but most often, it will simply freeze again when I try this. I couldn't find any logic behind it.

I've found that other people encountered this same bug in Civ4 BTS, where it was related to the founding/capturing of cities. Does anyone know why this problem occurs?

I've found that other people encountered this same bug in Civ4 BTS, where it was related to the founding/capturing of cities. Does anyone know why this problem occurs ?

The problem is as old as Civ4.
(Actually Civ3 was known for the same issue.)

Since Civ4Col uses the same engine, it also has that problem.
(But of course every mod is a bit different here, depending on its logic, graphics, ...)

Generally the game gets problems with Performance.
(RAM, CPU, graphic card.)

And yes, I have had several reports already like that considering Religion and Revolution.
(Game running excellent for a very long time but at some point it seems to hit a threshold and then turns start freezing. No CTD, simply turn not ending.)

Most of them had a few things in common:

1. Very high turn number (usually players were playing "Marathon" or "Epic")
2. Mapsize Gigantic (which is really enormous)
3. Massive amount of units, cities, ... on the map
4. Nothing specific to be determined as reason

I have gotten savegames from all of those reports.

When loading theses savegames I could continue the games without any problems.
(Usually tried 10 or 20 turns in Autoplay and had no freeze.)

But my machine is a real monster.
(64Bit-System, 64GB RAM, 6-Core-CPU of the newest generation, very strong graphic card, SSD, ...)

Thus my conclusion:
It really is simply a performance issue with Civ4Col or Religion and Revolution (even though we had already done massive performance improvements).

You can do only very little about that.
(Lowering MapSize, Normal GameSpeed, Lowering graphic settings, deactivating all other applications, deactivating virus scanner while playing, ...)

But all of these things will not really be a solution.
You will simply run into the same problem a bit later.

However, the problem is known and some modders have decided to work on it by further improving performance of their mods.
(This will most likely not completely eliminate the problem but it will eventually occur many turns later.)

@agnat86:

Oh, just remembered this one here.
The game freeze in RaR you reported was proably related to a bug in the logic and not to performance.
(The bug is fixed now in Release 1.6)

Top Bottom