Game historian

Indiansmoke

Deity
[KC]colonelmustard who is in the editorial staff of civplayers community wanted to do an article on this game.

He has asked for access to this forum so he can follow the game from both sides and be able to write a game history at the end. I have granted access as I know he can be fully trusted to act without bias.

Initially the article will include some interviews from participating players, basically turn players but certainly others that follow the game and want to do this as well.

The interview will be about things like What is your civ bacground? why are you playing/following the game? What do you expect of it? How do you like it so far? etc

So anyone wanting to do this, please post here.

Also if you have any more ideas on what can be included in this and how we can make it more interesting for the people who will read it...please post them here as well. :)

This game series has given me new insight into how much depth you can goto into every single aspect of this game. Worker planning, scouting etc...

Civ is truly a game where, one one extreme, you can blaze through using only 30 seconds per turn even for SP huge map. To the other extreme of almost Chess-like pondering for every single scout movement and worker actions for team pitboss game.

The best part is the game is absolutely enjoyable at both end of the spectrum.

I. LOVE. THIS. GAME.

That's true.
A game that pleases both quick ladder people and people who do deep thoughts and discussions
about each little piece of the game, is amazing.

Thanks git. First things first: I want to stress that our goals in any kind of coverage of this match is to promote interest in the game and cooperation between CFC and C4P. This is my chief goal.

I'd like to start out with a short article introducing the game itself, some of the settings that are being played, a bit about PitBoss games itself, and a very brief introduction of the players for each team. If you could please respond with a few thoughts to any of these questions that inspire you, I'd appreciate it.

Why are you playing this match?
What do you think so far?
What are the things you like about PitBoss games in general?
Why do you think it's important for Civ4 communities to cooperate one with another?

Thank you. I look forward to it and hope to be checking in regularly. I hope we can spark additional interest in our game, pitboss, and our two communities.

So from my part..

I have been playing civilization both online and pitboss for quite a while now and I am fascinated by both formats. War teamers are IMO one of the most enjoyable game types that one can play as you get to cooperate with teamates, plan attacks together and live or die together! I always found team sports more enjoyable than solo sports, I guess the same applies here for me.
Teamers are also the purest form of competition as I have always found diplomacy a bit tedious between humans, too many hard feelings and too many games decided on diplo rather than performance or skill.
So I wanted to try a form of teamer in a pitboss game and see how it works out.
The CFC vs Civplayers format is not of importance as it could have been any 5 players against any other 5. What might be worth seing after the game though is how players that don't play online handled the game, compared to online regulars.
Finnaly what I hope to gain from this game is quality play and entertainent. Online play is usually of not top quality as the timer is pressing and in the heat people make mistakes. Here you have all the time to think and play optimally, so I hope this will bring a good standard of play from both teams.

It is too early to tell, but I feel like we have a team here that will give civplayers a good fight. So far I am enjoying it, hopefully so are the rest of teh people participating in the forum and as turn players.

Most of all I like the fact that I can actually play games against humans that will go through the whole scope of a civilization game from 4.000BC to modern armor units.
The only other format that allows you to do that is Ironman games in ccc competitions of civplayers, but this requires you to sit down for at least 10-12 hours straight and play the game, which is hard for me to do anymore.

Why do you think it's important for Civ4 communities to cooperate one with another?

I don't know if it is important, but I feel that there are players here at civfanatics that might be interested in online multiplayer as there are players at civplayers that like competitions like GOTM that happen here in civfanatics. I think it is important that possibilities that exist thanks to teh communities are made known to each other so that at the end....people have more fun!

I also wanted to mention that I have asked our resident artist to do a rendition of the players in this match. She always does a great job, has a witty style, and likes to do player caricatures. If there are defining characteristics to your online "persona" or something you're reknown for as a player, please be sure to mention these as well so we can do an appropriate job. :eek: thank you.

Right. For me, a single player, the MP is a new, interesting game, with aspects I never had thought
about. Obvious, the opposite is also true.

Indiansmoke post made me to think this: why not can the interested players to decide to play an
Ironman, but x hours in a row, then save and continue the next day or so?

Right. For me, a single player, the MP is a new, interesting game, with aspects I never had thought
about. Obvious, the opposite is also true.

Indiansmoke post made me to think this: why not can the interested players to decide to play an
Ironman, but x hours in a row, then save and continue the next day or so?

Because of real life. When you hve 10 players in a game, getting them all online in the same time more than once has proven impossible in practice.

:lol: I missed this thread... Nice initiative... I'll answer the questions later today hopefully :)

Well as far as my Civ background up until a year ago I was one of the most active players in the CivPlayers ladder. I suspect many of their players know who I am. Played mostly 5v5 ancient/Ren teamers but some epic games and OCC. Really went away from MP about a year ago, because I felt the quality of play was declining and the previous patches/spies, etc. were a disadvantage to the better players.

I play very little single player. Just do not see a challenge there.

I am in this game because I miss MP but find the process of playing them too time consuming now. Also I like the idea of an MP game where I can think and analyze more and not worry about a game being lost due to a mismoved warrior.

A love of civ and especially pitboss. :king:

Representing CFC was also appealing. I've been a member of this site since I started playing Civ a couple of years ago, have learnt a ton here, and enjoyed the community, challenge and competition of events like the CFC game of the month (which I also play regularly - although I rarely finish the games these days due to all the hours I put into pitboss instead).

Great. I like the level of analysis and positive attitude of the other players. It's always good to meet new players (Ras is the only other player I really know from previous games). I'm always learning.

This is also the first always-war teamer I've played and it's been an interesting change of emphasis to focus on early early military - and one I've quite enjoyed. (This is probably how I'd play my other pitboss games if it weren't for the diplomatic consequences).

I think of civ a lot like a game of chess (but with more dimensions and complexity) - I take a lot of time over my moves. I'm also a warmonger at heart so playing against the AI is rather dull. Pitboss is the perfect setup for me.

The always-war teamer format suits me very well too. As Indiansmoke said, diplomacy with humans can get a bit dull. The complexity is interesting at first, but ultimately it's less fun than just getting on and playing the game. It can also be rather unbalancing.

More people to play against and learn from! Especially over time as Civ4 gets older and the pool of players able and interested to play gradually dwindles... for a MP format like pitboss, a healthy mature gaming community is lifeblood. Anything that helps to sustain that is well worthwhile in my book! :cool:

Great stuff guys. Thank you.

If you would like to weigh in on these questions, or if you have some suggestions about your online likeness for the artist, please be sure to pass that along within the next few days. I have started this article and am still trying to shake the slackers out of the trees at over at civplayers. ;)

I knew about it talking with other civfanatics... I thought it would be a great occasion to learn from other players... I am one of those permanoob ;)

Not enough bronze and ivory for us... let's hope we have horse :lol:
Seriously, I like the team atmosphere, I hope it will stay this way till the end of this game :goodjob:

Well, we are not abusing AIs... that's a completly different game from SP... harder/more challenging. And it's the occasion to meet new people!

Euh... honnestly I don't know... I guess it's always important to communicate, that's a first step...

I also wanted to mention that I have asked our resident artist to do a rendition of the players in this match. She always does a great job, has a witty style, and likes to do player caricatures. If there are defining characteristics to your online "persona" or something you're reknown for as a player, please be sure to mention these as well so we can do an appropriate job. :eek: thank you.

I am a goldfish :goodjob: (read 6 secondes memory)... I think she can use that... (together with the fact I am french, it should be easy enough to make a nice caricature ;) )
Oh no, add to that horrible english/spelling skills!

Cheers colonel!
Raskolnikov

Top Bottom