Game is too superficial, too boring, too onesided, too imbalanced

It was. Or don't you remember CiV at launch?

@Adjuvant:

If you can't reply to a simple question without appearing like "the bad guy", there might be a reason for that.

I understand the frustration in buying a product and being disappointed - we can debate endlessly over the quality of the product and ways to improve your enjoyment in that regard. As long as you remember that it's simply your opinion, despite you presenting it as fact (for example, I know people who liked Civ 2 and found Civ 3 to be the disaster of the series).

However, a free weekend has absolutely no cost barring the time (and bandwidth) taken to install the game. As such, I can't understand why you'd make other people avoid a free game, instead of letting them make their own mind up. I just wanted to understand, and all I got in response was some kind of pseudo-insult :/

FaceUnderMask: attitude like yours is what is wrong wtih today's gamer generation. You are willing to wait for a game to "develop" after paying 50 euro for it. CivBE should have been as polished and detailed as Civ 5 BE out of hte box if it will cost so much!
You think the problem with today's generation is that they are too patient and too willing to spend money?

They are too patient.
They are too willing to spend money.

That does not reflect my experience with anyone under the age of 30 who I assume you are referring to. The 99 cents or I pirate it generation.

. I expressed my disdain on 8 other gaming sites in the last 24 hours with scathing reviews and I've been warning my friends not to bother with it, even on the free weekend.
Despite not playing it, your putting a lot of time and effort into a game you don't think is worth any time at all. I only ever hated two games enough to consider reviewing them and I never got around to it. Got other games to play.
Have you played Beyonetta 2 yet? That thing is off the chain. If you haven't I would get one that.

Techweb, orbital layer, trade routes per city, tile improvements that cost maintenance...right, nothing new here...:rolleyes:
To be fair:

Techweb -> New, but doesn't really work as a web past early game because you just beeline affinity techs (at least: if you want to win the game quickly).

Orbital Layer -> Is new, but satellites have little impact on the game

TR per city -> Not a new mechanic, just a revamped CIV5 one

Improvements that cost maintenance -> CIV5 had it (roads)

This game is about making choices to optimize progress depending on your situation.

Many choices are terrible and always wrong.

If you want to discuss this, you can have alot of fun exploring the game and playing "BE forum talk."

If you want a civ game where you plow through optmizal choices to bulldoze your enemies, that game is this as well.

If you want a game like Current Civ5 in space, you need to wait for patches.

The reason satellites don't have a bigger impact in game is because of the beelining affinities for VC so you rarely get satellite based techs.

If you play domination only games i can tell you that satellites are pretty important.

The reason satellites don't have a bigger impact in game is because of the beelining affinities for VC so you rarely get satellite based techs.

If you play domination only games i can tell you that satellites are pretty important.

Very true. I tend to aim for domination most games and usually just work on an affinity alongside that focus as a backup, and indeed I don't usually get any satellite techs like the lasercoms (unless I need it for the affinity victory) or even orbital lasers sometimes. However, expanding on that comment, phasal transport ones are incredibly useful, and if you're playing for supremacy they're often one of the best tools for domination, and really fun to use as well. Satellites can add a lot to the game through the transport alone, in my opinion.

You can also use a number of interesting tactics like miasma creating satellites to cover some of the enemy territory or your own to benefit your units. There's also placing the "boring" satellites to block placement of enemy ones, though that's more of a multiplayer thing which I haven't played yet. Satellites are a really cool mechanic and can be used a lot better than just "place and reap the benefits" like initial use of ones like the holomatrix and solar collectors are. The only downside to them, as has been said, is they usually require a little out of the way research to grab, but for some of them it's pretty worthwhile.

Cheap shot. You're trying to discredit my opinion by insinuating it's petty and baseless. I'm not "angry about a computer game". I'm angry because I've followed this series for over 20 years.
Civ 1, novel game, easy to exploit hitting spacebar on settlers so as to finish multi-turn tasks in one turn, but if you can restrain yourself, pretty novel.
Civ 2, sucked, learning experience.
Civ 3, great game, definitely learned from past mistakes.
Civ 4, started slow but had amazing mod potential, finished strong.
Civ 5, started sucking, but brought a couple new ideas with their own hurdles, like 1upt and disembarked units instead of cargo.

Civ BE, brings nothing new to the table, mistakes from Civ 5, particularly in diplomacy and AI brought no wisdom, somehow less of a game than the predecessor of which it's a cheap doppleganger. Boring. Flavorless. No replayability value. They went backwards, handed us a steaming pile of doo and smiled at us, basically saying "this is what we think of our fans".

I'm offended. I'm disappointed. Now I'm not even allowed to express my opinion in my own thread, just because it's negative, without it being locked, my opinion basically belittled as trolling, so, I took it elsewhere. Saying Civ BE is a garbage money grab is the god's honest truth. Saying it's a big sign of the coming end of the series, particularly in value, is admittedly opinion, but not a huge stretch of truth.

I'm not happy with it, but it's not "the game" that makes me angry, it's the guys who made it.

I'm not even going to grace the person above you with an answer. He likes to prod like you do, and I can't seem to communicate with him without myself appearing the bad guy.

I wasn't trying to discredit your opinion at all. You have done a marvelous job of that all on your own with the manner in which you chose to express yourself here. If you wish people to pay more respect to your opinion here or on the eight other sites where you've posted your 'review', you might want to reconsider the manner in which you are expressing your opinion.

However strongly you feel, you are expressing your own opinion of the game only and it is not 'God's honest truth' except as far as you believe it to be true and that's no different from any of the rest of us when it comes to our opinions. You don't see many folks going around telling people that their opinions are 'God's honest truth'.

For some, it is not 'boring', 'flavourless', a 'steaming pile of doo', a 'garbage money grab' or a 'sign of the coming end of the series' at all. But you can certainly find other folks posting similar opinions to your own here on these boards as well if you take the time to do so.

You ARE allowed to express your negative opinion of the game here. Others have been able to do this without getting infractions because they have managed to express their opinions without directly insulting other posters. However, you have been unnecessarily rude to others while expressing your own opinion. This claim that your opinion is being smothered because it is negative is actually a real cheap shot. :crazyeye: Balderdash! Read some of the threads here and you'll see what a fallacy that is. Especially some of the posts made about the competency and experience of the game developers. :lol:

Yeh, well, simple things amuse simple minds. People take money from simple people all the time.

There you go, mods, a real reason to hand me a couple infractions, dim bastards.

Moderator Action: Please find a way to express your discontent with CivBE without trolling others and baiting staff. This is not acceptable.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

You don't see many folks going around telling people that their opinions are 'God's honest truth'.

We don't say it, we only think it. To do otherwise would be ungentlemanly :hatsoff:

Moderator Action: In future, please report posts that you know are against the rules and do not respond to them. Responding only "feeds" the troll, derails the thread as it makes it about the troll and destroys the discussion.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I find CivBE to be a disappointment, but I can understand how others don't. In the end, this is a subjective judgment. However, I find it interesting, and a comment upon the game, that some of those who have done a number of "let's plays" of Civ5, people like Madjinn and Marbozir, have apparently abandoned CivBE and moved on to other games.

I find CivBE to be a disappointment, but I can understand how others don't. In the end, this is a subjective judgment. However, I find it interesting, and a comment upon the game, that some of those who have done a number of "let's plays" of Civ5, people like Madjinn and Marbozir, have apparently abandoned CivBE and moved on to other games.

I don't know about Mad, but I've watched Marbozir for a long time and am sad I never get to see any more BE games from him after his initial 1 or 2. I think a lot of the obvious issues like the lack of cities telling you what you built when it finishes, etc. put him off of the game. I don't know if he's tried it again since the patch (he hasn't made any videos at least), but perhaps once it gets fixed up more he'll be more inclined to give it another shot.

Are these people known for Let's Plays of Civ. games in particular? That said, their opinion of the game is just an opinion at the end of the day as well. To this end it simply reinforces your statement that this is a subjective judgement.

:goodjob:

Sometimes, people just will try the game and 'quit it' unless a major update or change comes into the game. Will agree with you on it being subjective: it all depends wether you look at graphics, VC, affinties, aliens etc...

Are these people known for Let's Plays of Civ. games in particular? That said, their opinion of the game is just an opinion at the end of the day as well. To this end it simply reinforces your statement that this is a subjective judgement.

They're known. Of course it's just their opinion. But it's pretty clear that CivBE had a rather weak exposition when it comes to known civ let's players. Or Twitch where there are now literally 0 streamers of that game. I think Solar Gamer still plays it once a week. While subjective, the game disappointed many people.

The question is why did it disappoint them. Did they make an informed purchasing decision? BE has got a lot of negative press from a lot of the fanbase, on here and on Steam. However a lot of the complaints are rooted in subjective matters, or predate the Fall patch.

People stream on Twitch for money, most of the time. Very little of it is done for pure enjoyment, because to craft an engaging streaming experience it requires time, practise and often money for the streamer. As such you'll only find popular games that regularly rank on Twitch, because it's a solid return of investment on the amount of viewers you'll accrue.

The question is why did it disappoint them. Did they make an informed purchasing decision? BE has got a lot of negative press from a lot of the fanbase, on here and on Steam. However a lot of the complaints are rooted in subjective matters, or predate the Fall patch.

People stream on Twitch for money, most of the time. Very little of it is done for pure enjoyment, because to craft an engaging streaming experience it requires time, practise and often money for the streamer. As such you'll only find popular games that regularly rank on Twitch, because it's a solid return of investment on the amount of viewers you'll accrue.

Stop white knighting for BE, please. The fall patch just fixed the most broken OP mechanic (internal trade routes) but people are disappointed because BE lacks DEPTH, UNIT VARIETY, ATMOSPHERE (compareD to SMAC), INTERESTING AND VARIED VICTORY CONDITIONS, COMPLEXITY, the tech web is POINTLESS, wonders are UNDERPOWRED, the AI leaders are TWO DIMENSIONAL LEMMINGS, the aliens are SPACE BARBS even when we were promissed they'd be much more, affinities are BROKEN, the unit balance is POOR even post fall patch.

Need I go on? For me there was huge let down with the balnd leaders, very minor differences in bonuses, crap wonders and lack of Sci Fi atmosphere i was epxecting as a SMAC player. Heck, the secret project "videos" are simply some 2D schematics. The Civ5 detailed drawings were MUCH better. SMAC SP videos are on a whole nother level. No atmosphere, lacks polish, no depth. Why would I play it over SMAC or Civ 5?

I regret spending so much damn money on it. Here's to hoping they will fix it with patches and DLC.

Moderator Action: Please show as much respect for the opinions of other members as you wish them to respect yours. "white knighting" is trolling, never mind the obnoxious caps.

Top Bottom