Game Journal, Basium

Sephi

Deity
Since Mercurians aren't that popular I thought I share my game with them. Maybe the Basium experts can give me some advice :goodjob:

Basium the Treehugger

Goal - Survive with Arendel long enough to build the Mercurian Gate. Then have fun with Basium. The game is on patch v and uses no modmod.

Difficulty - Deity
Speed - Normal

AI Civilizations - 5 Good and 5 Bad
  • 5 Good: Sabathiel, Garrym, Einion, Cardith, Varn Gossam
  • 5 Evil: Flauros, Keelyn, Faeryl, Sheelba, Auric
Options -
  • Blessing of Amathaon
  • Raging Barbarians
  • Wildlands
  • Living World
  • All Unique Features
Erebus Continent v 2.0 Script -
  • Size - Standard
  • Climate - Temperate
  • See Level - Medium
  • Cohesion - normal
Start location- Since we are elves, Yggdrasil isn't far away :D

Picked a good place to do a Deity game I guess. That location would be a free win on lower. I'd settle on the Cotton to get a coastal city. Shame about the two manas in the fat cross, but what can you do?

Whats the smart tech route here? Agriculture --> Calendar --> Ancient Chants --> Education --> Mysticism (start generating priest) --> 2 choices.

1. Crafting --> Mining --> Archery
2. Hunting --> Fellowship of Leaves --> Lightbulb Hidden Paths with Great Prophet?

On a lower difficulty I'd do #2, but staying with Str3 warriors means you will get invaded by your neighbour. With the high deity tech costs would going route 1 make you take long enough that you can generate 2 Great Prophets so you can Lightbulb both Way of the Forests AND Hidden Paths in 1 turn?

turns 000-232
000: tech agriculture, start worker (no risk no fun)
001: our scouts explore Letum Frigus in the west
002: meet Garrym Gyr. He is my neighbour and hopefully protects me against invasions from the west
004: 26 gold from a hut
005:5 A Giant Spider blocks the path to the north. Our scouts retreat to Evermore
010: The clan casts their worldspell
012: Evermore finishes a worker and starts to build 3 warriors
015: finish agriculture, tech calendar
035: Our military consists now of 4 warrior and 2 scouts, start a palisade in Evermore
036: Auric finishes Samhain, Mokka enters the world (hopefully far far away)
039: Evermore finishes the palisade and starts a settler
041: finish calendar, tech ancient chants, adopt agrarism
042: Our workers have finished to build a road to Garrym. We start to trade Corn for wheat to improve our relations.
043: One of our proud warriors is killed by a frostling wolf rider
047: We loose another warrior to a frostling wolf rider
051: Evermore finishes a settler and starts 3 warriors
053: North of our Capital we found Hyll. Evermore shares on of its corn fields with Hyll so the new city can grow faster. Hyll starts 3 warriors
055: finish ancient chants, tech start Mysticism
057: Evermore has build enough warriors for now and builds workers now so we can build cottages fast once we reach Education.
058: pop Mysticism from a hut north of Hyll, change research to education and adopt God King
061: Evermore stops building workers for a while. The elders in the city demand a council building for their meetings.
062: One of our scouts is Eaten by a Bear in the North and we meet a workboat from Cardith Lorda
067: Archeron enters the world
072: We sign an Open Borders Agreement with Garrym to further improve our relations
075: Garryms Scouts kill a lot of animals. That's good for our future expansion.
076: The mighty Orthus enters the world. Hyll starts an elder council
077: Mokka is killed.
077: We have enough workers by now and start a settler in Evermore
077: finish education, tech crafting
083: Orthus is killed
084: Hyll finishes elder council, builds warriors now
087: finish crafting, start mining Garrym uses his world spell to increase production and gain some weapons for his golems.
089: Evermore finishes a Settler and starts another one
092: one of our 4 guarsmen for the settler is eaten by a spider. That explains the sudden disappearance of Garryms scouts :D
097: finish mining, tech archery.
098: A great sage builds an academy in Evermore.
099: Hyll starts a Granary
100: future Plans: Get archery+gilden. Gilden can capture a Barbarian city in the north. Then Religion FoL+Hidden path. Work on trade+economy. After that go straigth for fanatism
Spoiler Evermore at turn 100 :

101:Evermore finishes a settler and starts the Deruptus Brewing House.
104: We found Yonna to the east, a small village of fishermen at the coast.
106: Garrym has build a city at my border just a turn before my culture expanded. Looks like trouble
Spoiler Situation at the border with Garrym :

109: finish archery, tech cartography
114: order is founded. Hopefully Basium doesn't join someone else.
115: finish Brewing house in Evermore
116: finish cartography, tech hunting, start archery range in Hyll, discover gems near Evermore, get open borders with all good leaders known so far.
120: The legendary Gilden Silveric joins us. Start an archery range in Evermore.
123: finish an archery range, start archers in Evermore
127: finish hunting, tech way of the forest
133: trade with Garrym writing+fishing+world map for calendar+mysticism+hunting, trade dye for ale with Einion
135: Capture the northern city Deluc from the barbarians
137: found FoL in Hyll, trade way of the forests for sailing with Garrym. start research trade
141: we get a free tech from an event and choose hidden path tech and adopt Guardians of Nature
143: We build a galley so we can spread FoL to our friends in the east (Cardith, Einion)
148: finish trade, tech festivals. get masonry and animal husbandry from Cardith, bronze working from Einion. gift Mysticism to Sabathiel
149:Flauros Empire is destroyed :lol:
150: random event gives golden age :)
150: finish festivals, tech drama
152: gift Mysticism and next turn way of the forest to Cardith Lorda
153: I ask Cardith to adopt FoL and he says he doesn't like me enough. Maybe some free copper will change his mind in the future
154: I meet Faeryl. I ask her to adopt FoL and she wants a tech to do so. No free tech for her.
155: My neighbour Garrym loses a City to the Clan. not good! I send some archers on a mission to find out what's going on.
156: Faeryl wants us to cancel deals with Cardith. nice try
158: finish drama, tech warfare
158: create Song of autumn wonder in Hyll with the free bard from drama
160: finish warfare, tech philosophy
162: finish philosophy, start priesthood. found dendrum, another fisher city
163: I declare war on the Clan, so my archers can help Garrym Gyr
Spoiler Garrym needs our help :

168: research priesthood, tech Code of Laws
169: trade military strategy from Einion
170: Gilden Silveric liberates Tentatio. The City is once again ruled by the Bannor. The mighty Bannor empire has 1 scout and 1 Warrior. Our archers help them in their hour of need.
Spoiler The Bannor Empire doesn't look that powerful :

171: finish Code of Laws, tech Fanatism.
173: Keeyln adopts Ashen Veil. It's time to call Basium for help to save the Erebus.
173: A great sage. settles in Evermore. Esus is founded
176: Gilden catches an elite city defender Orc archer outside the city. Easy xp
Spoiler Legolas, watch and learn :

178: the free bard event happens in bruti. Use the bard to bulb sanitation.
180: Evermore builds Herioc Epic, Hyll builds the Palace
182: finish fanatism, tech way of the earthmother
184: Hyborem enters Erebus.
185: We can build an academy in Hyll. very nice
Spoiler Nice event :

186: finish Way of the earthmother, tech way of the wise and settle another great Sage in Evermore. The City starts the Mercurian Gate
187: finish way of the wise, tech orders of heaven, trade KotE and Honor from Garrym, Stirrups from Einion. Gift religion techs to good leaders
189: After Garrym heavily sieges Vallus, Gilden and his men conquer the clan city.
193: Valin Phanuel is killed, finish order of heaven, tech religios law
195: Great Lighthouse is build in Hyll
202: finish religios law
204: Auric completes the Deepening.
207: Sabathiel is a Vassal of Garrym Gyr now
208: Aanother great sage settles in Evermore
211: The Mercurian Gate is finished. First turn we automatically delcare war on Keelyn who follows AV. After switching to Order we ask Garrym Gyr to adopt Order and he does. Now we can continue the crusade against the Clan. The Clan follows Order but there is no reasen to trust them. We gift Order of heaven to both Cardith and Einion
212: Already got three angels. Gonna be fun now. join the overcouncil and adopt social order and god king
213:another angel. two of our angels have 30+ xp. Time to fight deity Ai with their own weapons :)
Evermore is a bit messed up thanks to our neighbour Garrym and his culture
Spoiler Nice event :

214: another dwarven merchant sells us an iron orb. sweet baby. Rightiousness this time. Rosier the fallen is killed
215: finish iron working, start warhourses
222: after ten turns we already have 22 Angels.
226: Sphener joins Basium
227: Sabathiel capitulates to Sheelba and declares war on us. Bad idea
232: As a Warm-up we start to conquer the Bannor empire
Spoiler Holy Crusade against the Bannor :

Picked a good place to do a Deity game I guess. That location would be a free win on lower.
On my first attempt, i started with nearly no resources (only some fish stuff). But that wasn't the problem, the bigger problem was Mahala's rush on turn 23. Not much you can do against two Lucians and 4 Beastmen. I had build only warriors but since the elves start with no warrior at all I had only 3 or so. So I started a new game without Mahala and got a nice location :D

I'd settle on the Cotton to get a coastal city. Shame about the two manas in the fat cross, but what can you do?
I went 1S. Even though Cotton doesn't give that much commerce, it is a nice boost before you can build elder councils and cottages.
Whats the smart tech route here? Agriculture --> Calendar --> Ancient Chants --> Education --> Mysticism (start generating priest) --> 2 choices.

1. Crafting --> Mining --> Archery
2. Hunting --> Fellowship of Leaves --> Lightbulb Hidden Paths with Great Prophet?
Exactly what I did. only that I used the library event to get Hidden Path and put cartography in somewhere to get open borders with all good leaders.

On a lower difficulty I'd do #2, but staying with Str3 warriors means you will get invaded by your neighbour. With the high deity tech costs would going route 1 make you take long enough that you can generate 2 Great Prophets so you can Lightbulb both Way of the Forests AND Hidden Paths in 1 turn?
Getting two 2 GP takes 400 GPP or 133 turns with only one priest and no pacificsm. I preferred to get a great sage for an academy. Mainly because I can keep the academy with Basium.

Holy Crusade against bannor
only a short update

233: We capture Tollorial. The Clan should protect its cities better.
234: Capture Tentatio. A crusader joins us. We reward him for his faith and make him a Paladin
236: Capture Trinity. Another Crusader who instantly is upgraded to a Paladin. Now the proud city of Vallus needs our help once again.
Spoiler Vallus and the new cities :

237: Vallus falls to the Clan
239: Free Vallus from the Clan
240: Get a Map as a tribute from Hyborem. I can't find Dis but Hyborem won't be able to hide forever.
242: Basium already controls 38 Angels (and its hard to finde one with less than 10xp). But we need more :D. We give Alteration tech to Einion and he and his Vassal Cardith declare war on Keeyln
243: finish warhorses, tech sorcery. bulb Divination with a great sage. trade Animal handling from Cardith. Upgrade two angels to Repentant
Spoiler Siege of Shazak :
We have open borders with Garrym and Sheelba has not. So we could easily retreat into Garryms territory and would be protected from nasty clan assasins.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    335.3 KB · Views: 988
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    410.6 KB · Views: 967
Repentant angels are pure fun. 3 movement+raider trait and 16+ strength for a while means that you can give your enemy some nasty surprise here and then.

If you give them combat promotions+guardsmen, you have a pretty good unit to guard reinforcements.

And the best thing is if you loose one in a 97% combat it doesn't really matter since they decrease in strength over time anyway.

Repentant angels arn't that good unless you are fighting the Infernals.

They are, you jsut need to use your 10 xp angels as opposed to teh best, use those for ophamims and heralds and berserkers (forgetting all the angel names :p) and valkyries. Lead charge with repentant angels and if one dies, im usre you'll have a nother 10 xp angel ready.

Since you already follow Order, why don't you become my vassal Sheelba?
The Clan of Embers had recently captured a city from our ally Arendel, so they are our next target. We heard rumours that Hyborem tries to convert the Clan to AV and we definetly can't allow that.
Spoiler Siege of Shazak :

250: Capture Shazak. Some of our Angels are wounded badly and have to leave Erebus. The Clan retreats to Braduk to regroup.
252: finished sorcery, tech currency
Spoiler On the Move :
The Baron himself defends Braduk so we conquer the northern clan cities first

254: Evermore has build 10 adepts and builds some catapults now. Hopefully we won't need them as they are slooooooow. Finish currency, trade Feral Bond from Cardith and mathematics from Einion, tech taxation
256: Our fellow High council member Varn Gosam offers us the tech Rage for warhorses. A good deal. We only have to donate 12gold to the local order temple in Shazak and 4 of our Angels become powerful Seraph. A Repentant Angel will guard them on their way to our main army.
256: Capture Hezickul without casulties.
259: Capture Sorodh
Spoiler Our ally Arendel helps us siege Braduk :

260: trade animal mastery from Varn Gosam and medicine from Cardith, upgrade 4 Angels to Heralds (again only 12 :gold: :lol:)
260:We siege Braduk and the Baron kills on of our Repentant Angels
261:Basium kills the Baron. Braduk is captured
263:trade theology from Garrym
264:capture the city of pain
Spoiler Sheelba guards the jungle in the south better than some of her cities. Why? We will find out soon :

266:The High council votes for additional trade routes
267: Sheelba takes back the city pain. But it is only a trap for her army
268: Capture Renegade Hill. Sheelba becomes our vassal.
Spoiler Hyborem, why did you come to Erebus? Collecting butterlies? :

270: We pay our new Vassal Sheelba some gold so that she cancels her deals with Hyborem. Now that even Hyborems only friend betrayed him we banish the demon from Erebus.
Spoiler Once we are done in Erebus, Hyborem will regret his last words :

Spoiler The World after 271 turns.Looks like we need some ships now, so that we can visit Keelyn in the east and raze the holy city of AV :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 830
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    395.7 KB · Views: 828
  • Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
    409.8 KB · Views: 809
  • Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    388.3 KB · Views: 839
  • Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 869
  • Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 832
Hyborem, why did you come to Erebus? Collecting butterlies?

I've seen poor Hybo in such situation too once.

And the whole word seems to be dominated by Good civs now. Only Keelyn has still has some bite in her. WTF, Faeryl and Auric.

yeah, I probably should have put some more evil civs on the map :D. Or one less good. Anyway, it was nice that no khazad were around and no lanun, so they don't screw up the good vs. evil theme by spreading their religions. Only the Clan turned good.

Varn Gosam became real strong before I even met him. He destroyed Flauros and made Auric his Vassal. Right now he is busy figthing Archeron. Einion enjoyed his tolerant trait and made Cardith and Keelyn his Vassals. I guess my tech trading with him helped.

And the Clan had trouble to fight both Sabathiel and Garrym. Once Gilden Silveric and his men showed up all the orcs could do was run. And maybe bully Hyborem.

is it just me or are the AI's going easy on you war-wise. I find myself in war whether i like it or not by turn 150 at least. and then come the huge stacks of doom. laughing at my 7 warriors per city. seriously. 4 warriors and 2 scouts would never fly in any of my games. i guess ive never thought helping out a civ like you help out Gyr.hmmm...

Top Bottom