Game launches to the Menu, but most times stuck (or very slow) on loading/playing the actual game

The_Hawkeye

Chieftain
Hi All,

I'm trying to play Civ6 on my newly build PC, but the game runs like **** if it runs at all. Starting up and going to the menu seems to be fine, but once I try to start or load an actual game it either:
  • takes forever before I can click to blue globe to start the turn
  • or it stays on the loading please wait screen and freezes up over time
Same thing with turn times, they take forever, way longer then my old 4-core (no HT) CPU.

When I look at the task manager while loading a game, the CPU is doing nothing at all most of the time (like 9% utilization), the only activity of the CIV6 is some transfers in in the network tab.

System specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • MB: Gigabyte B550 Pro V2 - F12 bios
  • GPU: RTX3080 - latest game ready drivers
  • Graphical settings: all maxed out to ULTRA
  • Patch: latest 1.0.10.15
  • DLC: I have all
Any ideas what could be the issue?

I have this problem. But I assumed it was due to my old hardware (I5-750,4gigs, HD5780). Specifically, my 10 year old hard drive may be my issue. I do note that it is quicker for me without mods. Once I get in to the game, it is sluggish for the first few turns. Since the January patch, I've been having crashes on larger maps. I usually play duel maps.

It is interesting we are having similar issues with machines at the minimum and way above the maximum specs. I can't imagine what we have in common. Wish I could be of more help.

In the meantime I've also validated the performance of my SSD's, disabled the 2 UI mods that were installed and tested the game on minimal graphical performance settings. All without any improvement :-(

I'm assuming you don't have any mods installed?

My general advice is to first verify the integrity of your game files through Steam.

If that doesn't work, next try deleting the Mods.sqlite file @ "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods.sqlite" and the three debug files in "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Cache".

If that still doesn't work, try uninstalling the game making sure to delete any leftover files/folders in "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI" and "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI", and then do a fresh install.

And, finally if none of that works you can submit a support ticket to 2K/FXS here. They'll likely ask you to submit information like the diagdx, GraphicsOptions, and logs that can be found by following the instructions here.

I'm assuming you don't have any mods installed?

My general advice is to first verify the integrity of your game files through Steam.

If that doesn't work, next try deleting the Mods.sqlite file @ "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods.sqlite" and the three debug files in "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Cache".

If that still doesn't work, try uninstalling the game making sure to delete any leftover files/folders in "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI" and "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI", and then do a fresh install.

And, finally if none of that works you can submit a support ticket to 2K/FXS here. They'll likely ask you to submit information like the diagdx, GraphicsOptions, and logs that can be found by following the instructions here.
Is there anything I should backup? I want to keep my HOF.

Is there anything I should backup? I want to keep my HOF.
I don't bother with the HoF, so don't quote me on this, but I believe it's HallofFame.sqlite that you'd need to make a copy of. It's in the same location as the Mods.sqlite mentioned above.

I finally got around to trying your advice. The "loading please wait" still takes a long time. But I got thru the leader screen to the blue globe faster. And I did not have any hang ups during the first few turns. I also have fewer mods enabled. I'm not using anything that places additional things on the map or alters default map generation.

Top Bottom