1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Limits

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by gibaut, Jul 19, 2008.

1. gibaut

gibaut Chieftain

There does not seem to be a single Thread which contains a list of all the GAME LIMITS which one needs to bear in mind when creating a Mod or Scenario.
    There are threads which mention individual items, for example the GAME LIMIT for the number of units ( 4096) or Cities ( 576) or number of Resources (32).
    I think I saw somewhere that there is a limit to the number of Buildings (?82?).
    There is also a limit to the number of units requiring a specific resource ( the famous Hyperlinks Exceeded) and I cant remember if it is 32 ?

I am interested to know if there is a limit to the number of diferent units the EDITOR and/or pediacons entries will accept ( its seems to be infinite !!).

I am sure there is a lot of knowledge amonst Modders about this theme and I am hoping that this thread will stimulate the Community to pool and share this knowledge.
    I am also sure that I have missed a lot of other concepts that are subject to LIMTS .

2. dirtworm

dirtworm Warlord

i think that would be in the game creation section if there was such a thread...i am sure it is somewhere...it would definitely not be in general discussion though...

3. darski

darski Regent in Training

4. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I'm pretty sure the city limit is 512 (2^9), not 576. And I think it was 256 (2^8) before Conquests - either that or before Play the World. The units limit has also changed with version - if I recall it is 2048 in Vanilla, 4096 in PTW, and 8192 in Conquests. But you're right, it would be right handy to have all of these in one thread.

5. gibaut

gibaut Chieftain

Thank you Darski & Dirtworm , I have to admit I was unsure where to start this Thread , perhaps the Moderators could decide where it should go .

And thank you Quintillus , I didnt know that Units had gone up to 8192 in Conquests . I had been playing a big WW2 mod and was worried that the game would crash as it was approaching the 4096 limit .
    Shameful of me to have put 576 and not 512 for Cities , but an indication of the lack of a source that lists all these limits

6. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

Moderator Action: Creation & Customization it is. ;)

7. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

cities on map: 512
    civilizations 31 + barbs
    buildings in editor: 256
    units on map: 8192
    resources in editor: 32 strat/lux without encountering the bug
    technologies: 256 (i think)
    units in editor: unknown

8. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Every limit is going to be a power of 2 - most likely a multiple of 8 (bits in a byte ;) )

9. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

I can confirm that (thankfully) the tech limit is higher than 260.

EDIT: I've currently got upto 300 517 techs, and I'll keep reporting at regular intervals until I either hit some kind of limit, or reach 513 techs (at which point I'd assume the limit is 1024)

EDIT2: I went a little over (to double check), and found that it would happily accept entries over 512 techs (whioch I thought the limit may be). So, with that said, I'd assume 1024 would be the limit (which I doubt anyone could reach!)

10. jatibi

jatibi Warlord

Well, I'd love to see that tech screen (at least in the tech-tree builder if you don't want to reveal your secrets ;) )

Thanks for this piece of information!

11. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

I can say for sure that you can have at least 3000 different types of unit in the editor

12. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

@jatibi: haha

I only added a load of dummy techs, to my Greek scenario (which is highly flavored, and therefore already has a lot of techs ;)) so the tech screens wouldn't look too hectic!

13. Madeira

Madeira Emperor

I think unit icons' max is 400 and something, if you try in the editor giving a unit icon number 500 for instances it gives an error, can anyone confirm this? i havent reached 400 units in the mod im working on but will do so soon :(

14. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

I have more than 5000....
    It gives an error if the unit.pcx file is not big enough
    If you increase the size of this picturem then iit increases the limit

15. Madeira

Madeira Emperor

OH!! Thats such a relief!! Thanks for the info Steph, and gibaut for this thread

16. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

A very useful thread, especially about the strategic and luxury resort limit, and building limits. Does anyone know if there is a set limit on Wonders and Small Wonders?

17. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

All part of the buildings limit i'm afraid...