1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game misinforms about turns left for chopping

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by dalamb, Dec 4, 2006.

1. dalamb

dalamb Deity

In my current game, I've seen two instances where, at the end of one turn, hovering over a chopping worker says there are 2 turns before completion, when in fact the chop completes the next turn. I'm quite inexperienced, and so each game am trying to learn one or two new techniques. For this game, one such was chopping while building a non-settler, so the city will keep growing, then switching to settler when there is one turn of chopping left, so this bug (if that's what it is) messed me up twice.

I've attached a saved game at the point where it says 2 turns left. This is for GOTM-13, so nobody should look at the save if they haven't got 'way ahead of 2050 BC. I've been making saves at several points to retry the game after finishing the no-reload version, and made one just before starting this production-switching chop, which is how I was able to recreate the problem. I'd appreciate it if somebody could tell me (a) if this is a known bug (b) if I'm hallucinating or (c) there's something new wrong.

This is emperor level, epic, HOF-1.61.009 with most options turned on.

2. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki Anton's key

It is definetly as you said. I play warlords 2.08 and it says that there are 2 turns left when it in fact finishes on next turn. I was chopping settlers too and found this very annoying.

3. dalamb

dalamb Deity

OK, so maybe it's a known bug. Now I know what to do next time.

Mine was regular (non-Warlords).

4. scu98rkr

scu98rkr Prince

is that an the end of your turn or the start ?

Have you moved all your units. Have that worker spent his go yet.

If you check it before moving any unit I believer It will be two and the worker wont have done the chop for that turn. If you cycle through all the unit however by the end it should just be one turn.

roger

5. Thedrin

Thedrin Deity

It won't. But it will now indicate that the worker has completed its turn.

6. csrjjsmp

csrjjsmp Chieftain

I learned to read it as after two turns, the worker will be done and free to go on to the next action. So it says two, and then when you end the turn, the worker finishes chopping, and sits around unable to do anything until the start of your turn after that.

7. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

It's confusing, but I wouldn't call it a bug. "1 turn to completion" means it will finish this turn. "2 turns" means it will finish next turn.

8. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

Seems like another version of the "how does the game count" question, (see GOTM posts regarding autolog timeshifts in from early Nov 2006).

Seems like one way to think of this is the game counting and reporting "end turn" commands. 4000 BC has a 0 count because you have issued 0 end turn commands (or the count of completed turns is 0) at that time.

"1 turn to completion" appears to mean completion after the next end turn command, which means at the end of this turn, not "one more turn beyond this one to go"

Since I doubt the game will be recalibrated regarding this, the solution is for us to recalibrate our heads :D

dV

9. Welnic

Welnic Emperor

If you grab the worker at the start of the next turn and tell him to do something else the forest will not get chopped. If you grab him and cancel what he is doing you can change your production and then tell him to chop the forest. But if you don't have any other units that need attention that turn I don't think you will ever get that chance. So what would work the best is when it says two turns and the worker has moved that turn, then cancel what he is doing. Then the next turn you can change production and chop the forest.

This no longer works the same in Warlords, by the way. In Vanilla you can change the production to settler, chop, and then the hammers go to settler and you can change back to what you were working on before. In Warlords the hammers don't get applied until the end of the turn. So you have to change it to settler and leave it that way until the next turn, then change it back.

10. BLubmuz

BLubmuz HoF Quattromaster

For what i know, the turns that you can see mousing over the worker, are the turns left to make it disposable for another job.
    Actually, it finishes its job 1 turn earlier, but (of course) its not disposable for another job.
    e.g. build a road in 3 turns: t1 begins (3 to go), t2 continue (2 to go), t3 finishes (1 to go) and t4 its free for another job.
    Hope it's correct and can help.

11. majk-iii

majk-iii Eeh?

Jope, i noticed this to; "1 turn left" means at the end of THIS turn. It's been like that since vanilla, so i just got used to it... haven't really thought about it between then and now.

12. majk-iii

majk-iii Eeh?

Then again if you are giving 1-turn commands (stacking workers) like; Build road - takes 1 turn... you'd expect it to appear instantly (right?)... and it does!

It does so because "finished in 1" means end of THIS turn... so when i think about it, i can't see this as a problem or even a real case of "misinformation".

13. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Elite Commander

:( :sad:

But, yes, the game counts in an interesting way indeed. I believe if you hit ctrl-a (iirc) at the beginning of the turn, all preordained actions will be performed immediately and you will not see these "in 1 turn" mistakes...

14. dalamb

dalamb Deity

OK, well, I suppose that makes sense. I interpreted "one turn left" for city production as meaning "the thing being built will be available at the start of the next turn" and so by analogy thought "2 turns left" for chopping meant the hammers would be available in two turns -- whereas it's the unit that's available. Sigh. Live and learn.

15. kamigawan

kamigawan Warlord

Incidentally, if a worker finishes chopping, the production is "queued up" but will not be applied until you end the turn. So you can still change production after the forest has been chopped (and the notification appears, "clearing a forest has added 20 hammers...") but before the hammers are applied. For example, if you were building a warrior and chopping, you could switch to settler after the chop was complete but before you pressed end turn and the production would go to the settler.

16. dalamb

dalamb Deity