1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Modes: must-use

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Kataklysm, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Yes, it is only a very tiny compensation (especially as you only situationally really profit from it all - in the case you either have troubles keeping loyalty up despite a GA or if you have the chance to convert low-loyalty AI border cities) and delaying stuff (I would add settling new cities here, as that way you can push their treshold-increasing effect of one era ahead) helps to insure you again the only thing you will like to really avoid in that mode - falling in a Dark Age and losing inevitably cities. The cost of stuff getting destroyed in the process of their independence (builds in progress, districts like the Government Plaza) and the investment of having to take them back far outweigh some extra loyalty pressure. So ironically you could even argue that excess points are a more serious waste in this mode (as the absence of the normal ages as "safety cushion" makes them more dangerous for pushing you in a dark age next era).

aieeegrunt and 8housesofelixir like this.
  2. Nerevatar

Nerevatar Warlord

Just to clear up some misunderstandings that seems to come up alot in regards to this subject:

3. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Depends on how you define increased here: I agree with you that excess points don't increase the sum of points you need for triggering a GA next age - it is just both the raw, absolute start and target numbers increasing by the same amount (which nullifies what would otherwise technically be the concept of "keeping overflow to decrease the needed amount next era"). I think however that @aieeegrungt is aware of that and just talks of what you refer by "save some easy era score" - which is a mild wording here: My strategical approach in this mode is rather to save every possible (and even not-so-easy-to-delay) source of era score, when I have already hit the treshold. I delayed already founding cities close to an era changes (though here not for mainly the occasional era score you trigger for settling "special locations", but for delaying the true treshold increase additional cities cause), switching into more advanced governments, upgrading units, connecting ressource, further exploration, clearing undefended barb camps...to put it short: It is then just a game of avoiding historic moments at all costs as long as there is even a tiny change you can reap them still those few turns later where they matter again so much :crazyeye: Thats the consequence of the (IMO unfortunate) strict duality in these mode.

4. Isengardtom

Isengardtom Warlord

Must use i would say none but I do enjoy mixing some of them in now and then :
    - Apocalypse the least just because I find it a bit meh
    - shuffle can be interesting if you want to make the game a bit harder
    - dramatic games mode similar : if you want to make the game harder
    - secret societies is nice, and I like it more now that the governor spam is fixed. That really made the game too easy for me (like with upgrading Pingala a lot early on : it basically killed the strategy with regards to the governors)
    - heroes and legends is also fun but it needs some balancing here and there. Some things can break the game

5. Nerevatar

Nerevatar Warlord

Might just be me being pedantic, sorry :)

And I agree with you about the end result: saving era score at the end of an era still feels like the optimal choice for many scenarios.

6. snakeboy

snakeboy Chieftain

None are must use, except for Corporations I expect/hope. Secret Societies in particular I find to be in extremely bad taste, and I won't even try it once. Apocalypse was once, but never, Dramatic & shuffle I might try but again: don't care much for it.

onepurpose and comatosedragon like this.
  7. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Prince

That’s precisely what I meant thank you

Gamey nonsense

8. InsidiousMage

InsidiousMage Prince

Only Secret Societies. Changes the way you play the game in positive ways, like not needing Holy Sites when going for a Culture Victory with the Old God Obelisk or the Owls providing more reasons to interact with city-states, not to mention the extra policy cards. Was very hopeful for Monopolies and Corporations but it was a huge let down. The bonus were not terribly noticeable and the tourism boosts ruins the game.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  9. Shadowstrike

Shadowstrike Warlord

I actually really like all of the game modes (haven't tried Heroes), but I think they give somewhat different experiences. Like Apocalypse is actually really fun, but sometimes I don't want all my cities to be at risk in the late game.

I would really like to see a rebalance done with Secret Societies and Dramatic Ages though. I felt they were great concepts, but I seldomly use them because of rather striking issues. For Secret Societies, the power balance is really off - Voidsingers feels so much more powerful than the others. For Dramatic Ages, the AI doesn't seem to handle free cities well, and they start taking down entire Civs (whereas it would be more realistic if they formed new Civs instead).

10. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I don't necessarily consider any a "must" for all games, just because they all do have some flaws and drawbacks in how they work. For me, ranked in order of how often I would likely choose them:
    1. Tech Shuffle - it changes things up. Yeah, it's a pain when everything funnels through a single tech, or when the tech that needs you to build 2 bombards is locked in front of the tech that actually gives you bombards, but I feel it has very few flaws and makes you consider new things. Do I need to more aggressively pursue a district because everything is trapped behind State Workforce? Or can I delay that forever because it's a leaf tech now?
    2. Dramatic Ages: I like how there's real penalties, and I do enjoy being able to swap in and out the various golden age cards. Although I do think you can accumulate points too much, so most of the time I never hit a dark age, so it does lose some of the ebb and flow that basic games have. But I do like it for games where I want to war aggressively without ever declaring war on others
    3. Secret Societies: Since they fixed the governor titles, it's more balanced. Sure, it still super-charges the game, and can cause you to go a little crazy on yields or so at times. I'm probably less than 50% with it on now due to that, but I also really like how it just gives you another unique when you're playing a civ to tailor your game around.
    4. Monopolies: Will slot it in here for now. It feels a little unbalanced, but I'm willing to give it some more tries, especially if they can fix some of the things that seem like bugs. I like how it seems to add a little new dimension to the game, and gives you a little bit more to chase for.
    5. Heroes: It's fun, a nice mode for a change. I like trying it out every now and then, especially when I want to just crush people. But I feel it's too weighted towards simply recruiting the heroes and letting them run your battlefield. Like, who cares about your civ's uniques when you have a super-soldier leading the charge?
    6. Apocalypse: Never got into it. Just feels like busy work to have to repair everything, and distracts me from anything else.

11. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

I forgot one more problematic balance aspect of it - the constant supply of free cities this mode creates a neverending source of diplomatic favor you can farm by conquering free cities and liberating them back to their former owner (who will often lose them within a few turns again). Each time you do that, you get 100 DF minium (300 if you bring the owner in the game again) and while the very first conquest of a free city might be even a small challenge, it's not if you repeat the process (as city defenses have been destroyed in the initial conquest). Thousands of DF acquired by this make a diplomatic victory very easy.

12. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

As if it was not easy enough before. :) Diplomatic victory needs a re-balance, as the extra points by "just" wining WC resolutions are broken. Nevertheless, exploits like this you mention should be fixed also.

I feel Dramatic Ages makes the game more interesting in the war front. Not a "must" per se, but definitely a mode I use at least in a 50% of games basis. My main gripe about it is what to do wiht AI empires crumbling (some suggest Samorderzhaviye being the cause). Specifically not them directly crumbling, but them leaving a anarchical "black" empire where two-three civs should have been. Probably this is due to the (maybe to high) strenght of free cities, that makes it difficult for their original empire, or a foreign empire, to reconquer.

To avoid this, I'd love to see some mechanic were if 3 or more free cities in a sector are not receiving enough external presure, they may become a new civ entering the game (some kind of civil-war mechanic, just having free cities in the middle). Maybe this could be combine with making the free cities a bit weaker in terms of military, but the new civ start with a tech level akin to game leaders at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Nerevatar, tsf4 and Pfeffersack like this.
  13. walkerjks

walkerjks King

My choices almost entirely reflect my playstyle (peaceful cultural wins).

Must:

Secret societies - with a couple exceptions, I always go void singers just for the old god obelisk. I almost never have great works I can't place now (until very late game in longer games). Plus the incremental faith allows some rock band action if the game goes that long. Oh, and getting a really early governor allows for an Amani tour to virtually guarantee a classical golden age. Plus extra hero choices. Maybe a bit of a mistake, but that's become my usual first governor appointment unless I'm playing a civ with easy classical golden ages already (have an early unique unit and building, for example).

Heroic Mode - I've become addicted to Anansi/Hercules/Himiko. Get me 2 of the 3 and I am very happy.

Monopolies and Corporations - it shortens games due to the ridiculous tourism formula. Not being table to trade for as many luxuries is a bummer, however.

Always on, though I don't know exactly why/maybe I'm a masochist:

Apocalypse - I avoid flood plains and settling right next to volcanoes (always 2 tiles away), but I do love those yields on unimproved tiles. I ignore the competitions. It does have an annoying randomizing affect, particularly in the early game - I can be timing my population to hit the inspiration for early empire at just the right time and then suddenly have my capitol go from population 4 to population 1. Just incredibly deflating.

Sometimes:

Shuffle - I do like the variety and figure however it hurts me (PP is buried where???) hurts the AI as well. But it does (usually) make games longer.

Dramatic Ages - As Eleanor, it's on. She cackles with glee as opposing cities become free cities as that is extra loyalty pressure on non-free cities for her to flip (and she will eventually pick up the free cities as well). Otherwise, rarely. It does make a classical golden age easier, which is nice. But it makes a later age dark age more likely. And I hate losing cities. Particularly since they will likely have great works in them (old world obelisk gets a book in newer cities to speed border expansion), so losing cities is extra annoying.

14. kryat

kryat King

Permanent:
    Monopolies and Corps
    I like that it focuses your settling. And culture victories often took waaayyy too long to finish.

Majority of the time:
    Dramatic Ages
    This is the right way to increase difficulty. Something that penalizes mistakes.

About half the time:
    Heroes
    They add a fun kick to the early game without being stupidly overpowered on their own.

Rarely, but sometimes:
    The rest
    Shuffle can be great variety, and does increase the game time. But it’s not for everyone.
    I agree apocalypse is a good sudden death mode, but I wish the level of disasters was controllable.
    Secret societies is fun, but it’s too much of a sugar high all game for me. They’re more overpowered than M&C in my opinion.

15. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

I dunno. Sometimes heroes can be game breaking. As Rome I had a very early Sindbad who single handedly nabbed me 5 settlers super early. It was as if I was the one with the deity benefits not the AI...

I find the variability is a bit too much a lot of the time but I really enjoy how it shakes up he game so I usually still have it on.

16. Abaxial

Abaxial King

Whenever I get Sinbad it seems he accomplishes nothing - all the barbarians stay off the coast.

17. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

shuffle, societies, heroes always on. Apocalypse and Dramatic always off.

Corporations will become a staple as soon as they fix the monopoly bug (and yes, it IS a bug IMHO). Even now, it's really possible to activate the mode and try to avoid monopolies. But it's not fun to have to play like that.

18. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

If you get him early enough and you can take advantage of exploration it's a different kettle of fish...

19. Abaxial

Abaxial King

The best you can get is circumnavigation if the barbarians hide themselves.

20. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

If he's your scout it can be pretty potent in my experience. To be fair though, I didn't realise he had that ability until a game when I was trying to work out how I had amassed 1K gold in a single turn (new continent plus natural wonder). It is rare to get him quite so early.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021