1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Game not running in HIGH priority when maximized?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Bug Reports' started by melatonin, Nov 27, 2005.

1. melatonin

melatonin Chieftain

Well this got me to thinking, is the game really going into high priority? Because when I get my lock ups while loading a new game or while waiting for AI turn to end, the CPU light on my case is basically showing little to no activity. Even when loading, it isn't going full throttle, but instead only working intermittently.

Since I have two monitors, here are screenshots from three points in time. Note pictures are unaltered in anyway except I removed my name from User Name tab and cropped it some.

Minimized (only task manager is shown in this shot):
    mini.jpg

Maximized at main menu:
    mainmenu.jpg

Maximized in a game
    inagame.jpg

So it seems the game ISN'T running in high priority but instead only normal. I tried to set it to high and it would fall back to normal as soon as I remaximized the game. Could this be causing problems? Either way, it seems Civ4 dev folks think the game is suppose to be running in high priority, so maybe this issue might be addressed?

2. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

I only ever find it in below normal priority. I try setting it higher, to normal. It seems to stay there, though it still CTD's when I try moving about the map too much, or too fast.

BTW, where did the quote come from?

3. melatonin

melatonin Chieftain

It came from report on main page, 3-4 question down:

Code:
    http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/articles/SidSorenInParis.php
    I'm gonna go look about and see if there are any programs that will force a process to keep a certain priority setting.

4. oldStatesman

oldStatesman Cybernaut

The Windows OS will set the priority as it sees fit.

I too never see the game run in High priority - only in Normal, and Below Normal when not active. I would be hesitant to have it run in high priority - if it is a resource hog now, boosting it's priority could cause a lot of other issues since it would not give up resources as easily.

Normal and Below Normal are standard behavior- games should not have to run in the high priority space.