Game now unplayable

Abaxial

Emperor
Yesterday the game was running fine. Today it crashes on loading any saved game or starting a new one. I've made no changes to anything, not installed any new mods or the like. I get

Unhandled Exception
Code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Error writing address 0x0

Call Stack
-----------------------------------------------------
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0

Can anyone understand this? It gets as far as displaying the leader, but when it should show the button to start play, it's CTD.

My initial move would be to check if mods were enabled (sometimes I see mods getting enabled which I didn't use for a long time, probably after getting updated(?)). Disable any mods and retry. If this is not the case I would verify the integrity of game files via steam and possibly reinstall the game. If none of those would help, I wouldn't know either.

Or, it could be possible a mod updated and is now causing the crash. Or, some mods are now conflicting with each other. It's impossible to say with the limited information you provided. The error above is very generic and could have many root causes. The best thing I can recommend is try to start a game with no mods active, then gradually add them back one by one checking to see if they updated recently and/or are compatible with the current game version. You could also check your Database & Modding Logs for errors.

I'm now doing that. I suspect that the mod that is culprit is Warfare Expanded - I would hate to be without that, as the standard unit progression is so weak.

Edit: I checked

After 18 March 2021 Update ---->>>> Warfare Expanded: Reloaded has been split in three parts: Warfare Expanded: Relodaded, Warfare Expanded: Warships and Warfare Expanded: Warplanes. All these parts now carry the WE CV art. The split was done to improve performance and reduce mod sizes. All three packs need to be subscribed to:

I'm now doing that. I suspect that the mod that is culprit is Warfare Expanded - I would hate to be without that, as the standard unit progression is so weak.

Edit: I checked

After 18 March 2021 Update ---->>>> Warfare Expanded: Reloaded has been split in three parts: Warfare Expanded: Relodaded, Warfare Expanded: Warships and Warfare Expanded: Warplanes. All these parts now carry the WE CV art. The split was done to improve performance and reduce mod sizes. All three packs need to be subscribed to:
Getting similar crashes and do not use this mod, it is the Steam /2K mandatory updating that caused my problem, I went online to check the progress of another game and could not start Civ ( even in offline mode) without updating.
This terrible situation combined with the lack of support for real strategic size maps such as Gedmon's gigantic map ( which would be the small size map if I was in charge of 2K ) is why I will not be pre purchasing if purchasing at all any 2K games again.
I should not be denied the ability to play my game without updating period. As is I am forced to play offline because even in single player where it should use zero bandwidth the game eats my bandwidth at unacceptable rates. Because of my location I am forced into using satellite so it cost $ 30 US for 10 gigs and this game uses almost as much bandwidth as Netflix.

Top Bottom