Game of thrones: Final Season: Winter finally arrives....

In prep for later tonight you might like this:

Link to video.

And here is a live Q&A stream that starts after the episode:

Link to video.

Last edited:
Pretty awesome episode! The whole thing was a battle!

Yeah it was very dark most of the time.

That was intense. I had to pause it more than once to take a break and let my heartbeat slow down a bit.

It was way too dark of course. If it were not for the Red Woman we would have seen almost nothing at all. As it was it seemed the fire produced more smoke than light.

I actually disliked the episode. Maybe I'll elaborate more tomorrow when my thoughts are less jumbled, but it just felt emblematic of everything I don't enjoy about the direction the show has gone after season 4.

edit - what in the world was bran doing that whole time?

Last edited:
the episode was intense and certainly fun to watch with friends

there were some good cinematic moments

there was also some silliness

those tactics were very nonsense

all in all it was certainly a spectacle, I give it an 8/10

Intense yes, and I found it satisfying.

Special effects: great
plot: Utter garbage.

Nice style, to kill only second tier characters and give massive plot armor to the rest (and then even to Sam :rotfl: )

But worst of all, and really takes the cake: Arya. Good that the NK can prevent an attack out of nowhere, but not be mindful of a falling blade.
Apparently the WW were nothing more than another loser side that can do pretty much nothing at all, and is beaten by Arya.

Very disappointing. Trope-ridden. No sense. And:

"Arrows cost money; use the irish dothraki: the dead cost nothing"

Last edited:
Bit disappointed to be honest. I was expecting a leading character to die but in the end the only deaths were those of secondary or lesser characters, or of people that weren't playing a role of much significance anymore. The military strategy was also pretty nonsensical. If they'd kept all the men inside the castle the wights probably wouldn't have overcome the walls so quickly. And so so dark. I usually never watch with the lights turned off, and even when I did I still had trouble watching.

Positives: Dragons, Undead going crazy and just being super ruthless as expected ;) , Melisandre, feeling of despair (good that the undead could not be stopped, just too many), Grey Worm and his army taking a stand, Sir Mormont & Theon, Arya when fighting

Negs: too dark (okay it's night, but if you have to rub your eyes..) , Sam being stupid, very silly use of their Cavalry (Dothraki), overall suicidal battle tactics around the wall, Arya playing hide and seek (way too long), Jon and his silly "fight" near the Ice Dragon

Questionable: Arya sneaking up on the Night King with all his white walkers doing nothing, and how did she get there (i actually liked the falling dagger thou, she's a very skilled assassin after all), rapid ending, no more supernatural enemies with the Night King dead + feeling that he "died" just out of arrogance when he was portraited as very clever before.

Yes, he sent ravens. I am not particularly enthused about that plotline, after how the handled even the NK and the WW :)

Imo it doesn't matter what Bran does. At this point i think most people are let down that the obvious climax was more trope-ridden than anything else in the show.
Though you can be sure that some fun-bois will even consider this as ok if there is even some allusion to the NK being reborn somehow, or WW etc by the end of this series. I personally doubt that even that will happen, but why not? No serious plotlines here.
People die just when the directors have to check the box 'x dies here', with no logic and plenty of ex machinas save others (or prolong deaths, as in Jorah). Theon's death was stupid, imo. Of course he wanted to fight for Winterfell, yet much like some others he apparently becomes a super-fighter by the end. This looked more like Legolas and Gimly than season 1-4 Game of Thrones :)

Re Arya, yes it would still have been workable for her to kill the NK (imo the NK shouldn't even die), but as others noted Not in this braindead way. It would have been better even to have her just sneak up to him and kill him instantly. That he stopped her, then acted like another dumb zombie or human, was even worse imo.

Dynamics are very problematic: if a side kills the WW, why would anyone bother with what happens with Cercei? She could even win (i doubt it; probably Yara will be the ex machina in that episode :p ) and it doesn't mean anything imo.

While I enjoyed the episode, dumbest tactics EVER. I hope they have a better general for the last battle.
I liked the Theon bit because his redemption was a big piece of the entire series. He deserved that end no matter how hokey it looked.

Think how much money they blew shooting that episode that you could barely see.

Well iam critical about plenty things in GoT, but overall many peoples also expect too much from this series..
this episode was still much more enjoyable than almost all other things from the past that i could watch now.

and that had little consequence or purpose. You talk about fan service. This is the real fan service episode.
Actually by the end, I started thinking they were going to stretch the end of the battle to the next episode so we have something to be thankful for.
They could have trimmed many of those scenes and I wouldn't have complained. I thought I read that it took almost two months to shoot.

Top Bottom