1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of thrones: Final Season: Winter finally arrives....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Synsensa

Synsensa Sweet Pea Retired Moderator

It's probably thousands of people at this point, re: the job creating front. Some of the VFX companies they work with employ over 100 people by themselves. Not to mention all the extras and stage positions.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  2. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

..but ofc all that work gets no respect from the smartphone generation, who like judging things more than anything else, by now i would rather watch an empty wall than reading here.

3. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Considering it set records for viewership, somebody has to be enjoying it. I did, but that doesn't mean I can't discuss it. Nothing is perfect, but I'll be back for the next episode and the last two also. I read the books up to the point the the author bailed for 10 years, so I stopped comparing them many seasons ago.

Mise and Birdjaguar like this.
  4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

@Birdjaguar , you should stop replying to negative comments against the show, by making personal attacks. At some point i will just decide you won't, and you may guess that will be the end regarding paying any attention to your posts. It would be better if you can avoid causing this, since such an option isn't (sadly) thread-sensitive.

5. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

6. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Small note re: episode 3's darkness.

In general, it's not a good idea to make your video dark. Regardless of your intentions, it'll usually end up with the viewer not understand your intentions. Because it's too dark.

In episode 3, the first charge, where the dothraki charged into the wights, was rightfully kept in darkness. The Night King is a creature of night and cold. That the first clash was dark and surprising felt right. The darkness combined with the mass of the wights made it feel overwhelming as the wights seemingly came out infinitely, indifferent to light and being able to see, multiple in darkness.

However. Too much of the episode was kept way too dark. The first initial brush felt right in that the army faced another army indifferent to vision and light. The rush quickly faded, however, and the fighting became shaky cam over bonfires.

This is a very cheap way to do action, and it's weird after that the season cut down to only 6 episodes. If I'm presented lesser time for the same series which is heavily driven by plot, character development and intrigue, don't cut down on viewing time and present me shaking cam. You can't both give me less time and less proper action. That's just poor craftmanship.

7. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

I went back and re watched the show after reading this and it made all the difference. I just turned off all the lights, turned off my other screen and everything was just fine. I did not readjust my monitor settings. Thanks.

PS: I watch on a 4k monitor and not on a TV.

9. zazazuzu

zazazuzu Chieftain

The books were good. The moment it became a popular thing, it turned into pure ****.

10. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

I'm glad I found this thread...I have been a fan for a while...
    About episode 3 from season 8... Wow just wow...It was an amazing battle...I've forgotten how incredibly overwhelming the army of the dead can be...I've forgotten about how devastating they were at Hardhome, and in this episode, they truly shown in force...The Dothraki being completely annihilated in the first seconds of the battle truly reflects this...The Night King had a plan and it worked to near perfection...He would start by attacking with the wights, destroying everything on their path, while keeping Jon and Dani along with their dragons confused by that cold front and busy, while attempting to kill them in the process...He was too overconfident though, he never thought that Arya was a skilled assassin having trained to become one since season 2 or so...
    As for my main criticism of the episode, What the heck was Bran doing the whole time? He was obviously warging into something, perhaps overseeing the battle...He could have warged into a dragon or something and help a bit at least...The whole White Walker story leaves a few loose ends...What did those symbols the White Walkers left even mean?? Why did Samwell steal all those forbidden books from the Citadel for?? Wasn't that suppose to help them figure out how to defeat the Night King? He didn't seem to learn anything from them...What's Bran's purpose now as the Three eyed Raven, since the army of the dead has been apparently defeated?

Synsensa and Mise like this.
  11. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I think that's the sort of thing we'll find out in the books, and perhaps some of it will be revealed in the remaining episodes of this season, but I doubt all the loose ends will be tied up in the TV version. I think there will always be questions and things for us to ask (there always are).

Unrelated ramble ahead...

I actually think it's as much of a learnt skill to enjoy a work of art as it is to criticise a work of art. I'm in my 30s now, and modern music has started to feel weird and scary to me, so for me a good example is music. Think of how easy it is to enjoy music from your own youth, which you grew up with and learnt how to listen to -- learnt how to enjoy. Now think of how hard it is to listen to music made today, by modern artists, for a new, younger audience. It's much harder for me to enjoy that music. I like music from the 90s and early 2000s, and music from the 2010s feels, well, crap. But it's really just because I haven't spent hours and hours listening to contemporary music, thinking about what I like and what I dislike, listening to different artists or b-sides or "their early stuff". I haven't learnt how to enjoy it. You might feel the same way about other art forms, like classical music, modern art, dance or ballet, or perhaps music, film, dance or paintings from another culture. I never learnt how to enjoy anime, for example, even though a lot of people who share similar interests to me and whose tastes tend to coincide with mine really love anime. I'd expect to like anime, but I don't, and I think it's because I never put the time or effort into learning how to enjoy it.

The older I get, the more I realise that, to keep enjoying life and all the new, fun things that they keep coming up with, you actually have to be open to learning how to enjoy them. I can enjoy fantasy stories by analysing the lore and going really deep into the world they create, or looking at medieval battle tactics and seeing how they use the trebuchets. But I can also enjoy fantasy as a pure spectacle, as a compelling tale that couldn't happen in our world, or as a vehicle for tits and dragons. It's genuinely difficult to learn to enjoy things, partly because we don't see it as a skill that we can learn. We tend to think of taste as something that is intrinsic to us, because on the face of it it seems like an unconscious act. But you can take conscious decisions to affect your tastes, and, personally, I've found it very rewarding to learn how to like new things.

There will always be new things, and if I only like the things I currently like, I'll probably be a very grumpy old man one day.

12. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

I enjoy the show as it is...Believe me, I haven't finished reading the books though, but I know the show and the books are separate entities, that have to be treated as such...I think the show has been mostly great (except, in my opinion for season 7), and I understand that a TV show cannot go into so much depth as the books can...That is, if that lazy ass bastard called George RR Martin can get to ever finish them...
    I hope the next 3 episodes really try to finish the story as portrait in the TV show at least...We well see if the books add a little bit more to the story...

Mise and AmazonQueen like this.
  13. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

The TV show has to be taken on its own merits. TV and film are very different medium to books and an overly-faithful interpretation wouldn't have worked as well as GoT has, although it might have pleased a much smaller audience of ASOIAF fans more.

Birdjaguar and Mise like this.
  14. Kyriakos

It is fine to enjoy a show cause it is having such elements (eg 'tits and dragons'). It is also fine to enjoy it cause it has something serious. Yet it is illogical for one to claim a show that is the former, is actually good because it is not that but the latter. I don't mind that, but i do mind going further and strangely trying to make it personal instead of talk about a show :)
    Should go without saying that i don't think posters that like the show are idiots or anything else negative. I am negatively surprised that somehow one should not make fun of the show, or have to face rather strange remarks targeted against himself, though. FWIW, i would ideally want to keep posting what i feel, cause it is a thread, and would not want to start replying in kind because such a thing would be what is "petty" and anti-fun.
    Besides, there are only three episodes left; let's not start a war here cause i also have a Euron if needs be ^_^

MaryKB and Mise like this.
  15. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I feel a little in denial about the Night King/army of the dead's "death"... like they will come back somehow before all is said and done...:think:

But then... only 3 episodes left... so little time to introduce anything else.

So the shattered remains of the alliance head for Kings Landing... but maybe Sansa allies with Cersei in exchange for the North being left alone to be its own Kingdom? I don't know, but whatever it is, I hope its another surprise that no one predicts/suspects.

MaryKB and Kyriakos like this.
  16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

I don't watch the show but my wife does. She was watching it while I played video games and kept complaining how crappy it looked. Yeah, it was ass-quality. Compression effects and pixelation everywhere, all the dynamic range swallowed up in darkness.

I have a new HDR/4k TV from Samsung, gigabit internet and we watched it directly from HBO Go, so forgive me for dismissing @Zelig's 1st article and comments out of hand. HBO did a terrible job streaming that episode. It was bad enough that I'm even talking about it - and I loathe GoT. To blame poor quality on individual streamers' setup is a off the mark. And before 'but HBO Go is a terrible service' -- cool story but it's one of their official outlets so that's not the viewers problem. And we watched days after it came out so I doubt high traffic was the root cause of the problem. We also watched it in the dark, to boot.

Edit: I'm not here to attack the show as a whole or debate anything about it. I don't care. I'm here because the quality of that particular episode was that bad and I was curious to see if anyone else had problems with it. I've also seen a lot of articles on this issue so it's not an isolated problem. Also, not trying to flex about my awesome tv, just make a counterpoint to the argument 'upgrade your streaming platform'.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Kyriakos likes this.
  17. MaryKB

MaryKB Vice Princess Supporter

OMG YES!

18. Kyriakos

It is likely that this will happen. Spoiler is about a source, so don't read if you don't want to.
    Spoiler :
    Afaik it is also what a known, and apparently respectable, source of spoilers says about Tyrion.

MaryKB likes this.
  19. aelf

aelf Ashen One

That would be only because Sansa has made a big deal to Tyrion about not trusting Cersei's word.

20. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

For either Jamie or Tyrion to kill Cersei she would've had to have won... if Cersei loses then there would be no reason for anyone besides Dany or one of the Starks to do it.

Maybe Cersei kills Brienne which enrages Jamie into killing her for it... so many possibilities... so few episodes :sad: