Game of thrones: Final Season: Winter finally arrives....

Some people who like the episode seem to enjoy it because the show continues to subvert their expectations (Arya killed the Night King, and now Euron appears out of nowhere and kills a dragon immediately). What did I say? People like surprises.

I disliked the Euron scene but except for that, I liked the episode. Many heartfelt goodbyes, even if you were a wolf.
And Hound banter is always enjoyable.

I'm betting on more surprises and things coming out of nowhere in the last 2 episodes. Not that I hate surprises per se.

The big kicker will be how does Varys betrays his queen and how he dies for it.

Maybe they will cut off one of Jon's balls to even the odds for him becoming king. Bronn could do it with his crossbow after sneaking into Jon's tent undetected. Hmm... too predictable? Have Qyburn do it using a little bird.

Yeah, I'm still betting on him being on the throne in the end. Fully balled or not. :lol:

After s5 there almost never was any actual 'surprise', as in a plan which had been made and was secretly carried out, thus having a result. Imagine how dumb it would have looked if you had a scene before the Red Wedding where Tywin was discussing how he had agreed with the Freys to kill the Starks.
Yet that is what is going on in the show for the last 3 (or more) seasons (with minor exceptions that still feel forced; eg Myrcella's death).

Re Bronn... whatever. Nothing else makes sense, so sure, have Bronn "sneak in" Winterfel, armed with a crossbow. Have half the northmen/vale/dany forces live despite Winterfel having been overrun (where did those thousands of soldiers go? run to the fields? why not use them to man the walls more efficiently?).
There was a point in noting lack of logic back when there weren't entire, endless floods of irrational elements in each episode. Now... it doesn't matter, and there are just two episodes left.
It may matter for D&Ds careers, though, given at main sites like youtube and reddit it seems the large majority of posters are mocking them.

Last edited:
Apparently someone left a Starbucks cup in front of Dany in the Winterfell party scene. I haven't gone back to check through. :)

My predictions:
The show ends with Dany pregnant or already having a child; her last dragon dies.
Varys dies,
Jon Dies or goes north
Tryion lives
Sansa lives
Bron dies
Cersie dies
Euron dies
Arya??
The Hound??
Bran who cares.

^^^ Subject to change after May 12th.

Speculative conjecture: Bran goes north and begins to rebuild the Wall; a new NK begins taking shape beyond the wall; Jon rebuilds Castle black.

After s5 there almost never was any actual 'surprise'
Ok, I'll call you on that one. If there are no surprised left,
Give us a quick run down on how everything is going to end and when it's done you can claim bragging rights.

I'll go with the easy ones. Hound kills his brother. Cersei buys it. (i'm going with our ninja) Dany dies due to Varys plotting which gets him killed too. So John gets the crown. Sansa ends up the warden of the north. The hound and Arya ride off into the sunset.

I think what Kyriakos means are shock moments, there are ofc still some surprises happening..
but i agree with him as far as moments that leave you speechless go.
(Dragon being killed left me a bit stunned, but more like suuure everyone could do that..)

Ok, I'll call you on that one. If there are no surprised left,
Give us a quick run down on how everything is going to end and when it's done you can claim bragging rights.

I'll go with the easy ones. Hound kills his brother. Cersei buys it. (i'm going with our ninja) Dany dies due to Varys plotting which gets him killed too. So John gets the crown. Sansa ends up the warden of the north. The hound and Arya ride off into the sunset.

That isn't what i mean by 'surprise', though. A surprise typically happens when you are meant to not wonder if something surprising is to happen. Eg the Red Wedding worked, cause (those who hadn't read the books) didn't know of the plot.
A surprise does not work if you just do not know if X or Y will win. X might, or Y might. X dying from drinking from a poisoned Starbucks cup at Winterfel, before he can fight Y, would have been a surprise. To first have people in the show come out and say: "you know, i think i will betray X, cause she sucks" and then betraying (or NOT betraying) her is not about surprise but either of two negative things:
1) if they end up doing what they said they would, it is a cheaply done "foreshadowing" (not elegant foreshadowing, eg through more obscure elements that make sense in retrospect; actually that one isn't really worth to be termed foreshadowing at all, cheap or otherwise, but it is what this show does for 3 seasons now).
2) if they don't do what they said, or even do the opposite, it is the infamous "subversion" that D&D are so heavily mocked on youtube these days for. It is a trope/meme now, google "subversion"^game of thrones and see the horror :)

I think that the "subversions" the show writers did, and in so great a number, ultimately made most viewers lose interest in trying to estimate the more likely result, precisely because you can only be lured to estimate when you maintain the impression that there is some logic in how things progress, and not a flood of subversions and convenient/irrational events.

Last edited:
That's possible. I was also thinking of Sam though. He seemed remarkably chipper, despite having been in the same building, or even in the same room, as the woman who just executed her father and brother.

His father hated him, he just stole his sword, he's now the heir to their lands, and millie is dead. So he kind of won out in the end. And baby no2 is on the way.

I think that the "subversions" the show writers did, and in so great a number, ultimately made most viewers lose interest in trying to estimate the more likely result, precisely because you can only be lured to estimate when you maintain the impression that there is some logic in how things progress, and not a flood of subversions and convenient/irrational events.
Is that Kyriakos speak for NO PREDICTIONS? ;) I'd rather just enjoy watching then trying to figure out this post.

Is that Kyriakos speak for NO PREDICTIONS? ;) I'd rather just enjoy watching then trying to figure out this post.

Even if things were different, there is only one deciding episode left (iirc the final episode doesn't feature main events, but is an epilogue), so it wouldn't make much sense to guess what will be known in 6 days :)
If you are asking what i expect... well... the usual deus ex machina (Yara or others) for the battle, and one of Varys/Tyrion ending up dead. Wouldn't try to estimate if Dany or Cercei will win, cause as i said in my view this isn't based on logic or what we know from the show but subversion and freakish/strange logistics.

I think I figured out who's going to get the Iron Throne:
Gendry.

The Baratheons are still the official dynasty. More or less.
The problem is that Daenerys will have to be queen for long enough that her legitimization of Gendry as a proper Baratheon is legitimate.
She'll have to murder John first and then someone will have to murder her.
Doesn't the Baratheon dynasty officially end when she replaces Cersei ?
Yes, but with her and John gone the Targaryen dynasty also ends.
Again.
Fortunately the Baratheons are related to the Targaryens through marriage which is why Robert could become king after Aeris and Rhaeger were killed.
A very convenient solution for most people except John and Daenerys.

I'm leaning now towards the opinion that Denaerys should end up on the Iron Throne, but not until after she is dead. Jon should place her corpse there and build a funeral pyre around it. The throne should be melted down as she is cremated. Jon should let each of the Seven Kingdoms fend for themselves as he goes to join Ghost and the Free Folk beyond the wall.

They're probably not "full grown" yet.
I haven't read Fire and Blood. Is it supposed to be "neutral and "reliable" or is it in-universe propaganda that might portray dragons as tougher than they actually are ?
It is presented as the work of a Maester who seems quite favorable towards the Targaryens, especially King Jaehaerys I the Conciliator.

Something definitely seems off when he says that Jaehaerys was universally hailed as the only possible true heir to the throne, but then later mentions in passing that nearly half of the lords in the Seven Kingdoms referred to his older sister as their Queen and refused to pay any taxes to Kings Landing for many years.

He seems to think that most powerful woman were either silly girls ruled by their emotions, or wicked witches.

He also struggles to balance the fact that the king he admires over everyone else trusted Septon Barth above all others, with the fact that he seems to hate every one of Barth's heterodox ideas (like the theory that dragons are sequential hermaphrodites, rather than it just being hard to peek in their cloacas to check their sex before they lay eggs, or that the prince who was promised could be a woman).

He does not seem very fond of Aegon III, but mostly seems to view him as a poorly advised victim of the tragedies of the Dance of the Dragons, a civil war he would rather refer to as the Dying of the Dragons. No one in that war is presented well. Dragons cause a lot of problems, especially when both sides of a war has them, but the Maester seems to wish that they were still around to back the power of the Iron Throne.

Maybe having book Euron (afaik) would make some sense as the final antagonist, but show Euron is just a joke :/
If book Euron had shot Rhaegal he would have been guided to to so by a Shade-of-the-Evening-induced prophetic dream, and a Kracken would have risen out of the waves to devour the dragon as soon as he hit the waters.

Book Euron is an evil sorcerer wearing a full suit of Valyrian steel plate armor (something no Targaryen has ever been able to afford) he claims to have personally plundered from the smoking ruins of Valyria itself, and he plans to use mass human sacrifice (including priests of every deity known to man) to empower a dark ritual meant to transform himself into a god. He raped all of his younger brothers and their wives, cuts the tongues out of all his subordinates, yet is generous with his booty and keeps no wealth for himself. He has one black eye, one red eye, and lips permanently stained dark blue from drinking the Warlock's wine.

Fortunately the Baratheons are related to the Targaryens through marriage which is why Robert could become king after Aeris and Rhaeger were killed.
"Through marriage?" They are related by blood.

Robert's father was Steffon Baratheon, whose mother was Princess Rhaelle Targaryen, who was the youngest child of King Aegon V Targaryen.

Steffon was not the first Baratheon Lord to have a Targaryen mother either. Boremund Baratheon was the son of Rogar Baratheon and the Dowager Queen Alyssa Velaryon, the widow of Aenys I Targaryen and mother of King Jaehaerys. House Velaryon and Targaryen intermarried so often they might as well be considered the same house. Aegon the Conqueror himself had a Velaryon mother.

Also, the house was founded by a man widely believed to be Aegon the Conqueror's bastard brother.

Last edited:
Expect and predictions are two totally different things. Logic. We're talking fantasy soap opera here.

Based on what we have seen in this episode, Cersei should be the favorite now..
arguments between Dany, Jon, Sansa and so on..they like making bad or lazy military decisions..only 1 dragon left, and they suggest it's very vulnerable to Balistas (no shortage of those).

Currently nothing suggests they will manage to take Cersei out.
Which probably means some form of last moment assassination (Arya, Jaime maybe) has a high chance of happening.
Dany will most likely die, in rage of losing her dragons (and others),
and if i had to bet i would on "no Iron Throne will be left"

I have no idea what will happen, and I like that. I doubt Cersei wins, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dany dies or lives now, or Jon ends up king or hell, Sansa could be queen and I wouldn't be shocked.

Top Bottom