1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of thrones: Final Season: Winter finally arrives....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, Feb 7, 2019.

1. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

This is a picture of King's Landing from a few seasons ago:

The city is built between the sea and mountains and forests...There's no way there's a barren, flat terrain anywhere nearby...This is another screw up from the show runners...

Kyriakos likes this.
  2. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I don't see the beaches that Stanis charged up. The city must morph often. ;)

Dachs likes this.
  3. Colon

Colon King

The Hound, Beric etc were captured near the Wall by Wilding scouts in season 7.

4. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Robb Stark captures Lannister scouts in Season 1, then lets one go after feeding him false information so that Tywin expects 20,000 men are coming to meet his army when he really plans to send only 2,000 there and have 18,000 attack elsewhere.

5. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I don't feel like watching 300 ever but I'll take your word for it.
    Sure. Scouts exist. The Night's Watch has rangers. Daenerys sends riders in various directions during her journey through Essos. People look for things. But nobody really knows anything about the battlefield, because that would impede the designated Great General in his effort to work his Cunning Plan, or interfere with the sense of suspense that the viewers have. So you get maneuvers that seem like they'd be kinda silly if they were tried in real life.

These things are undoubtedly more common in the back half of the show. Part of that is because the back half of the show depicts actual set-piece battles - which are rare before Castle Black and Hardhome - and part of that is because the showrunners do go for suspense even when it doesn't really make sense. They did the same thing with the Battle of Blackwater Bay, after all. Martin's version of the Battle of Blackwater itself makes a bit more sense than the show's in that the Lannister and Tyrell force isn't entirely unexpected and does have something of a fight, but it vastly outnumbers its Baratheon foe and so the outcome is never really in doubt once the relief army engages Stannis' troops.

Spoiler digressive rant :
    Of course, the runup to the battle is also goofy in Martin's book, with Renly splitting his army and delaying his march to King's Landing, which he knows is the real prize, so that he can relieve Storm's End (???) from a siege by a vastly inferior force (??????)...and Tywin sitting ineffectively in the Riverlands rather than taking the initiative and using his interior lines to try to fight and beat the Starks and Baratheons one at a time - which he needs to do because time and numbers are not on his side - then letting himself be led around by the nose and only escaping due to his own incompetence...and Stannis' fleet (and army???) being delayed enough by "storms" to allow the Lannister and Tyrell armies to make up vast amounts of lost time and reach the city only hours after his ships sight the Red Keep...between these people and Martin's own on-again-off-again knowledge of warfare, the War of the Five Kings was a case study in absurdity, incompetence, and lack of fitness for command.

Again, I do want to emphasize that in no way am I some sort of Benioff and Weiss stan. When they get the chance to do things on their own, it often turns out worse.
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Tywin doesn't actually conduct reconnaissance but does bite on the ridiculous story from one scout.

BirraImperial likes this.
  6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

mitsho and BirraImperial like this.
  7. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

That is something that also pissed me off...Why not just marry the Dragon Queen??? They could rule together, problem solved...It's not like Targaryens didn't breed between family before...so why stop now? They try to address this in the show, but their responses are weak AF...

Kyriakos likes this.
  8. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

Yah, and Hitler was an infantryman in WW1, and suffered injuries both from grenade shrapnel and mustard gas. A split-second difference there and he'd be one more nameless dead guy lost to history (the Weimar Republic would still be pretty vulnerable to collapsing into some kind of fascistoid revanchist militarist regime but it's anybody's guess what the faction and leader in charge would be named and the details to follow would necessarily be quite different).

AmazonQueen likes this.
  9. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

This in particular is one aspect of criticism that I just don't get. Arya's story has basically been all about her turning into the incarnation of sudden death dressed up as a stealthy little girl. They earned that bit.

Sommerswerd, MaryKB and aelf like this.
  10. Kyriakos

Actually she goes from useless noob to able to kill a top assassin in half an episode, while from there on she is magically the Terminator of Westeros. Moreover they managed to have other bizarre inconsistency there by having the faceless men store faces which belong to people who haven't died (eg Arya's face). Arya later on walks around with a Sansa face mask. If they can do that then why have people come to the temple and drink the water so as to die? Isn't that the whole point, that they need people to die there and then through ritual so as to steal their faces? :p

Anyway, i like the show writers' explanation of why Dany missed the fleet with the magical ballistae. She just kind of forgot about it all.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  11. aelf

aelf Ashen One

I think that's what most people mean by he showed up out of nowhere. That plus he somehow knew when Dany's fleet would be there (unless he and his men hung out on their ships for a long time near a hostile coastal fortress and somehow still had the advantage of surprise).

12. rah

rah Deity Supporter

As fast as we've seen messages sent, it's unlikely to believe they were ignorant of what went on up north. Where they were going to return to did not require rocket science to figure out, or the timing.
    But I still don't believe a large fleet could get surprise in clear weather on a fleet with assets in the air. If you can see to shoot an arrow you must be exposed.

13. aelf

aelf Ashen One

I really don't think ships at that tech level ran on schedule like trains, with expected arrival times down to the hour. No way Dragonstone would not have sighted an enemy fleet hanging about for at least a day and not send a warning message.

14. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Hrothbern, mitsho and MagisterCultuum like this.
  15. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Do not disagree. I was just saying being there in an appropriate time wouldn't have been difficult. The surprise aspect was indeed absurd.

16. Kyriakos

Apparently the plotlines of ep5 and 6 have leaked. Also a number of pictures from the eps and a (afaik very brief) video; part of ep5.

17. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Well what do you expect when your officers are a bunch of inbred noble boobs?

Kyriakos likes this.
  18. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Romanticizing royalty and aristocracy is all fun and games until someone's banging their cousin

19. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Ah hum, nephew. (or Aunt depending on who's on top)

20. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Supporter

So my boyfriend told me he read a spoiler for how this ends ...

Spoiler :
    He says after Jon kills Daenerys, he abdicates the throne and heads north beyond the Wall, and he reunites with Ghost. Then he finds the Wildlings ... who've been massacred and their body parts spread out in the White Walkers wheel shape thingy ...