Game of thrones: Final Season: Winter finally arrives....

If you mean "a republic", that would be completely nonsensical, and just some sort of XXth century self-insert.
If you mean that the 7 Kingdoms just break up in their separate components, that WOULD be actually quite logical.

True, a republic would be non-sensical, but I can see a "House of Lords"-like parliament like it started in England in the middle ages, aka the core of where these XXth ideas can grow out of. I wouldn't actually care about the kingdoms splitting back up, because that just means some more wars again a few decades down the road, whereas something aking to institutional reform feels like a forward motion. But in the end, this is a fantasy world and its literature is less about the political landscape (since again: that's fantastical), but rather about "the human heart at war with itself", lessons we can take for ourselves. So I hope the last 30 minutes will not be them drafting new statutes for that Parliament... :)

Last edited:
You could also have an elected monarchy like that of Medieval Poland or the Holy Roman Empire, where a small number of elite nobles would elect an monarch that was mostly just a figurehead.

Westeros does have some precedent of calling Great Councils. They could decide to hold those more regularly.

If I were writing this ending, I'd have Sansa and Cersei finish off as Queens, and the Kingdoms splitting between North and South. From typical fantasy stories, you're expecting the long-lost true heir to return, and Jon's basically what Aragorn would be if he's totally inept.

Sansa and Cersei have so much in common. Both are intelligent women who've had to endure domination by men all their lives. Both were sold by their fathers into horrible relationships, have been abused and raped, and are constantly ignored because of their sex, despite their superior capabilities. I feel an unhappy truce is more realistic than a happy united kingdom, and I would love to see Sansa make such a difficult choice to sell out Jon and Dany to do what's right and best for her people. Cersei would get to keep everything that really matters to her, and have some respect and peace for once in her life.

Sadly I don't think we'll get that, even though what this show's been building up for years is showing you how horrible things are under male rule, and now that they've basically all killed each other it's time for the women to finally take over and rebuild a better world. Alas I feel this show's now spinning around with a bait-and-switch, and now that the Night King's dead, show you how the greatest threat to the world is women who seek power to ensure their survival.

I'm disappointed with Missandei's death, I'd have sooo much preferred Grey Worm to die. Sadly what you've got is another example of male creators not knowing what to do with women characters, so she's expendable (Grey Worm is still a general, so he has a point) What is Missandei's role now? She's done nothing for two years, Dany certainly doesn't need her translator skills anymore, and D&D never gave her any other layers to her personality. They could've killed Grey Worm, and found something for Missandei to do, but they took the easy way and kept their warrior alive instead of their woman.

This show's long had a problem with how it handles women, but many of us were holding out hope there's going to be a positive message eventually, but sadly I think we all overestimated these guys.

Personally, I feel the only solution is probably some sort of law saying any television series or movies has to have a woman at the top creative level - I don't mean solely, but like with D&D, and so many other things have multiple creators with equal authority, so you could have a man and a woman, or two men and a woman, or whatever, but at least require female representation at the highest levels of control. Look how much better of a job Star Wars is doing with Kathleen Kennedy in charge.

Whereas Danny is your typical useless white female who only got started to be someone because she was born pretty and bedded a powerful man? :rolleyes:Prejudice much?.
:rolleyes:

Wow, just ... wow. I thought the bar here couldn't go any lower, but I guess I keep overestimating many of you.

When has Dany ever needed to be saved? When has she shown any level of incompetence like Jon has? She's his exact opposite. She's a winner.

She lead her people across the red waste and survived. When she was betrayed in Qarth, she had to rescue her dragons herself, and no one saved her from the Warlocks - she instead burnt down their tower and killed Pyat Pree. She outsmarted the slavers in Astapor and freed the Unsullied, and she inspired them to follow her willingly.

No one could save her in Mereen from the Sons of the Harpy, she and Drogon got out of there together. Jorah and Dario didn't save her from the Dothraki, but instead she singlehandedly not only broke free, but completely conquered their entire people, and again she knows how to inspire them to be her loyal followers willing to die for her (unlike Jon, whose followers need to kill him)

She won the battle of Mereen, after Tyrion showed he's incapable of making things right on his own. She doesn't need some last second rescue because she can't plan and follow through. She cares about her people, and she protects them, and she wins.

She destroyed Jaime Lannister's army outside King's Landing, another total victory for her.

Her biggest problem is she keeps listening to her incompetent male advisers, she should've taken Lady Olena's advice and made her own decisions instead of letting others make them for her. When Tywin Lannister berates his commanders for their stupidity and decides what to do, he's viewed as strong and confident. But if Daenerys is to do what she needs to do, she's the "Mad Queen."

Like take Varys ... for all his talk, he's in things for himself. He claims he wants to see her as queen, but only if she does what he approves of. He has absolutely no respect for her in any way, and he won't accept maybe she knows how to do her job better than he does. Not like Varys has any kind of great track record for advising rulers ... he's got Aerys, Robert, and Joffrey.

What you're seeing here now is oh so very typical ... on one hand, you've got an accomplished woman with experience and a track record of success, and you've got a man who's been nothing but a failure his whole career, but people want to give the job to him rather than her.

@MaryKB Well tonight may give us a glimpse into the ending. Dany as Queen would be cool especially if she has a dragon and a child. Cersei is too evil for my taste. I'd like to see her cooked, and Varys too. Jon should go north, way north. Arya and the Hound should sail West. Tyrion should join Sansa at Winterfell and be her hand. Jamie and Brienne need to get married and have babies. but I guess we'll see.

Mary, do you watch The Deuce? maggie G plays a strong woman in a very man's world and gets ahead.

Her biggest problem is she keeps listening to her incompetent male advisers, she should've taken Lady Olena's advice and made her own decisions instead of letting others make them for her. When Tywin Lannister berates his commanders for their stupidity and decides what to do, he's viewed as strong and confident. But if Daenerys is to do what she needs to do, she's the "Mad Queen."
On that subject...

Sadly what you've got is another example of male creators not knowing what to do with women characters, so she's expendable
While I agree she was expendable so good to use for shock value, it's hard to complain about these males since they've created their most dynamic characters from the females in the cast.

Great show tonight. Lots of dead though. The writers simply ignored my wishes. They must be terrible writers.

Some nice surprises.
Spoiler :

Jon certainly f'ed up. He had the chance to put love above his moral dilemma. He needs to be roasted.
Dany turned out to be human, well Targaryan. :)
Dany figured out how to fly a dragon into battle finally.

Great show tonight. Lots of dead though. The writers simply ignored my wishes. They must be terrible writers.

Ever since the writers took over from GRRM, they have gone for twists and surprises every time.

The author at least mixed in inevitable harsh reality to keep us guessing.

That's why Tyrion has been wrong so often lately. The new gods scoff at the voice of reason.

Plus, it is impossible for an author to write characters smarter than themselves, so Tyrion lost 100 IQ and doesn't know why.

Last edited:
The writers are obviously terrible bad writers when they surprise me by doing exactly what I expected... which of course, is subverting all my expectations and doing things that I never expected to happen... They should have done what I predicted would happen and it would have been a brilliant masterpiece and a total surprise... idiots.

Jon will be dissapointed (at the least) that Sansa betrayed him if he's gonna find out. After all she has told a secret she has sworn to never tell anyone - typical :rolleyes: Sometimes I am wondering if I tell a woman "don't tell anyone but the secret is: -insert message here-" than how fast my message will travel. He shouldn't have told them. Jon acted like Ned would and it was a mistake. I really like Deneris and I believe in her, I hope she will live , but that accursed Circei knows how to provoke people to do stupid things I think she will not wait for Jon and the rest of the army and will attack recklessly only to loose her last dragon and possibly her life. Maybe Arya will kill her before that but that ? Nah that's less likely - all in all I really liked the last episode :)

edit - I meant Arya killing Circei not Deneris - but in this show anything is possible :think: Since red wedding I always expect the worse

Last edited:
I liked it, mostly expected., but was a tad disappointed that they didn't do more with Varys betrayal. He just got outed an killed. Quite boring.
So which Stark is going to kill Dany?

The entire population of King's Landing apparently has been "poisoned by our enemies!"

Episode had awesome scenes. Sadly anything which was up to D&D again was pure cringe (Euron, immortal Arya and immortal Golden Company leader's white horse) ^_^

I thought I was watching the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. ;)

Despite what he says, Varys doesn't want what's best for the realm, he wants what's best for him ... he even told Littlefinger years ago what he wants is the throne. He doesn't want a strong queen, he wants a puppet he can control. What he doesn't like about Dany is she's not doing exactly what he wants .. he can't conceive of the idea that maybe she knows better than he does. Why do you want someone to rule over you, if you're not going to accept her decisions? You'll only be loyal if she does what you want and expect her to do?

My view of what's happening, is Dany's become aware of what's going on around her, and how she's about to be screwed over. It's all too real for me, and as much as I'd like this show to be different than the real world, I'm sort of blown away by it's sudden realism. You could see the look on her face last week when she's watching Tormund (who's the embodiment of male chauvinism).

Compare her resume to Jon's ... he's a failure, and she's a winner. He's been saved numerous times (usually by women), and he even dies and that's not good enough, Melisandre brings him back so he can keep failing. Nothing he's ever done makes him worthy for leadership, but he's your typical metaphor for the white male, who just can't fail no matter how inept and useless he is.

Dany has won so many battles, despite her useless advisors. Her biggest mistake is listening to the men around her, like Tyrion ... she should've taken Lady Olena's advice, she'd be in a much better place now. She's sacrificed so much, and she's rescued herself time and time again when no one else could, and she's solved her problems using her own strength and power.

But none of that's good enough, because she's a woman. Tormund is every man, he's praising Jon for being a dragon rider and what a marvelous heroic achievement he's done, even though Dany's been doing it for years, and he's riding her dragon. But does she get credit? No, of course not.

She sees what's happening: now that there's some male they can bring in, she's going to lose everything she's earned over all these years, for some guy who doesn't deserve it. She wanted to change the system, but she cant. She's not going to be queen, she won't be allowed to be no matter what.

So fork it.

Tyrion wants her to follow his plan, but his plans always make things worse for her. She had her moment, to either continue submitting to male authority, or break the wheel like she's wanted. King's Landing is that wheel, it's that center of male rule and power. She's not going to make things better for herself, obviously she's going to die, but maybe things will be better for the future, maybe even for Sansa.

I've felt many times in my life there's no hope for fixing this system, and I've thought sometimes myself that everything just needs to be burned down and start over, but built right. Obviously I don't mean that literally like mass murder, but I feel in a show like this it's metaphorical.

What I saw last night was a frustrated woman decide she's had enough, and went to burn down Man's world. I'm sad she lost, but I also found it oddly cathartic.

Top Bottom