Game of thrones: Final Season: Winter finally arrives....

I can't decide on what the stupidest part of the ending was, but it is telling i had to fast-forward parts of the episode

Maybe the worst was that the dragon just left, cause it would be convenient.

Apparently the dothraki now are under GW command, cause whatever.
But really there is no point in trying to notice individual issues in such an episode.

Greyworm is executing people, the Unsullied are pumped up, the Dothraki are having a rave...and then Dany dies and the North arrives and there's no real tension beyond Sansa and GW snapping at each other? It would had been well for one last battle to rid Planetos of the zealot horsehockys.

But really there is no point in trying to notice individual issues in such an episode.

I'm thinking the same. Things sort of held up until the Dragonpit-meeting, but at that point the quality of the acting wasn't able to cover the stupidity of the writing anymore.

LMAO cause this is EXACTLY what that scene meant... which is hilarious and absurd and satisfying all at the same time. The only thing that would have made it moreso is if Drogon had pulled up a pile of rubble to use as a podium, taken out a pair of spectacles, and actually delivered those lines in a pseudo-British accent (full-on Hitchhiker's Guide TTG style), nonchalantly closing his remarks with...

"What... you didn't know I could talk? I've been able to talk the whole time! It just occurred to me that you all were too stupid to understand Dragonese so I taught myself English" :p

I did not always agree with you Kyriakos, but now i do lol..
this was one of the most boring things i ever watched.
Highly unrealistic as well, so they let Jon alone with Dany..their beloved queen, never was easier to assassinate.

There was one fitting scene, the dragon flying away and out of this mess.

Highly unrealistic as well, so they let Jon alone with Dany..their beloved queen, never was easier to assassinate.

But he only flew away to allow the rest of the dumb plot to happen :)

LMAO cause this is EXACTLY what that scene meant... which is hilarious and absurd and satisfying all at the same time. The only thing that would have made it moreso is if Drogon had pulled up a pile of rubble to use as a podium, taken out a pair of spectacles, and actually delivered those lines in a pseudo-British accent (full-on Hitchhiker's Guide TTG style), nonchalantly closing his remarks with...

"What... you didn't know I could talk? I've been able to talk the whole time! It just occurred to me that you all were too stupid to understand Dragonese so I taught myself English" :p

The thirteenth dragon warrior.

I'm thinking the same. Things sort of held up until the Dragonpit-meeting, but at that point the quality of the acting wasn't able to cover the stupidity of the writing anymore.
Well at least they laughed Sam off the stage when he suggested becoming a full blown Democracy... for a minute I thought that's where they were going with it... I've defended most of the writing/storytelling decisions of this show, but they would have been on their own if they'd gone that route.

I know this is unlikely... but I can't help but feeling like some of the plot choices this season, and particularly in this episode, were direct reactions to fan criticisms... Jon's finally petting Ghost for one... people have been whining for Ghost to have a moment with Jon for weeks. Tyrion's speech to Jon about how bad he wanted Dany to be the savior is another (the "loved her, but not as successfully as you" line was funny as hell BTW :D). That's just a couple examples, but I wonder if anyone else felt the same?.

OK I'll put my GoT writer's defender hat back on... Did anyone notice that when Jon comes to the castle to test/kill Dany, Drogon is languishing under a pile of snow/ash on the ground instead of curled up next to his mommy? It's like he's already given up. Then when Jon approaches, he sniffs him, as if to decipher his intentions... then seemingly nods him past, then sulks back into the snow... almost as if to say... "Yeah this madness has got to end... go do what you gotta do."

At least that's how I'm interpreting it... but maybe I'm being too charitable, I can admit that, but that's how it felt to me when I was watching it. Drogon definitely seemed to be over it.

Last edited:
Is this dragon a troll or why pointing this fire stuff at Jon's direction first?
I know, it was for creating tension, but I don't like stuff like that in general.

OK I'll put my GoT writer's defender hat back on... Did anyone notice that when Jon comes to the castle to test/kill Dany, Drogon is languishing under a pile of snow/ash on the ground instead of curled up next to his mommy? It's like he's already given up. Then when Jon approaches, he sniffs him, as if to decipher his intentions... then seemingly nods him past, then sulks back into the snow... almost as if to say... "Yeah this madness has got to end... go do what you gotta do."

At least that's how I'm interpreting it... but maybe I'm being too charitable, I can admit that, but that's how it felt to me when I was watching it. Drogon definitely seemed to be over it.
Good point, i think we can make Drogon the real winner of this episode.
Maybe he did not want to burn all those civilians ~~
I admit that Drogon was the only part that interested me, and his role was satisfying.

Well, my take on it is this:

It was so bad that in the end i wasnt sad at all that the show was ending - which is actually an achievement in and of itself.

And i think the best thing to come out of season 8 is this:

And it says a lot about the season when an internet meme is its greatest achievement.

but I can't help but feeling like some of the plot choices this season, and particularly in this episode, were direct reactions to fan criticisms... Jon's finally petting Ghost for one... people have been whining for Ghost to have a moment with Jon for weeks.

If the scene hadn't already been shot prior, I'd agree with this.

The chairs?
The infamous scene many seasons ago when when Tyrion very noisily dragged his chair to put it in a more favorable spot.

The infamous scene many seasons ago when when Tyrion very noisily dragged his chair to put it in a more favorable spot.
OMG that was such a fantastic scene... everthing about it was perfectly done... from the order of everyone's arrival to the chair positioning to their facial expressions... it so perfectly captured all the dynamics at play between all the characters present... and it was done without anyone actually saying anything.

Moments like that are what made this show such a masterpiece.

I'm really torn on this episode. I actually liked the outcomes, I just hated the execution. Basically it was mad rushed. Jon flip flopped so fast from she's my queen to killing dany. One speech from Tyrion did it? She died without much fanfare. It's telling that I felt nothing during that scene. Previously the red wedding and hold the door had reduced me to tears. The viper and the mountain was so shocking I did a holy crap moment. When Dany died I went, eh, figures. That's where the whole season failed. It failed to connect with the viewer.

I think it just needed more time to breathe. I'm not gonna say oh this should've happened this way or change plots or whatever, just say it needed to be better fleshed out. I think another episode would've done the series a great service.

Also if you are questioning why the unsullied didn't just execute Jon immediately they had just lost their leader and their dragon and supposedly half their army fighting the night king so they probably weren't in a position to fight off the north and the vale and whomever else so they had to hold a hostage to ensure their survival. But I did think it was ridiculous seeing all of them lined up like stormtroopers in front of the former red keep. They just go from massive numbers to no numbers at all outside king's landing's gates to massive numbers again.

I really liked the final scene. Jon has the real north in him. That was cool. I think it's clear he's not going back to the watch. I would've liked to know what happened to gilly though, since sam is grand maester now and he supposedly can't marry but he's having a child with her.

Another prop mistake, this time a water bottle.
Where did all the sullied and Derakis come from? They keep dying but there formations never seem to look any smaller.

HBO wanted more episodes so don't blame them. D&D wanted less so they could start on their Star Wars project.

I would've liked to know what happened to gilly though, since sam is grand maester now and he supposedly can't marry but he's having a child with her.
Since he's the Grand Maester, I presume he can do whatever he wants and change the rules as he sees fit. Plus part of the point is they are a new leadership/regime remaking the rules.
Another prop mistake, this time a water bottle.
I don't know how people are spotting these minute details... I never notice. I guess if you're looking for them, but... why? They are just going to edit it out anyway. It's probably already been removed.
Where did all the sullied and Derakis come from? They keep dying but there formations never seem to look any smaller.
I was thinking the same. Also... *Dothraki*
HBO wanted more episodes so don't blame them. D&D wanted less so they could start on their Star Wars project.
I do blame them. They could have just gotten different directors/writers to finish as many episodes as they wanted. Rian Johnson was available :mischief:

Last edited:
I was thinking the same. Also... *Dothraki*
damn, normally look it up. Too hurried.

They should just have waited till GW was off on his ship and let Jon do whatever he wanted.

Top Bottom