1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of thrones: Final Season: Winter finally arrives....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Great ending.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  2. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

I'm sure if it was up to HBO there would have been a few more seasons. Think of how many subscriptions will be canceled in the next week or two.
    IT sure would have been easier if GRRM would have worked on this instead of other projects.

3. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

My 'weird' refers to the fact that HBO didn't bring on some guest directors or whatever to do some more episodes than the six that "D&D" were willing to do, for this reason.

4. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Ah.
    Probably would have been really awkward. It has been their baby for a few seasons now. Probably wouldn't have been worth it for just a few episodes and don't know what their deal with them was.
    There's always sequels and prequels.

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I just got served a Youtube ad for Game of Thrones: the browser game

Is this peak targeted advertisement?

6. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Well, that was a solid finale. And seven hells did it need it. Thankfully it got a worthy ending to eight years of TV history in the makings.

The wheel wasn't broken but hopefully somewhat reshaped with a fledgling birth of a parliamentary system. Full on democracy was thankfully laughed off as utterly unrealistic.

Only thing I didn't like was Bronn on the small counsel. I never really cared for Bronn tbh. But whatever.

I predict a war between Sansa and Yara in the not too distant future as iron men conducts timber raids in attempts rebuild the iron fleet.

Arya sailing west was nice too but kinda been done already.

Berzerker likes this.
  7. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

It was definitely an ending. There was some television, and it ended. That I can day with confidence.

I guess I was just hoping for... more? I'm not sure. It sort of felt like everyone just went back to their day jobs. Sansa was the only character who's ending really landed for me, who felt like eight season's worth of payoff, and I can't think it's coincidence that she absolutely didn't end up where she started.

Between this and Endgame, I'm starting to think that I'm just hard to please.

8. civvver

civvver Warlord

Me too man, me too. It's been a whole spring of let downs. I'm so fearful of the next star wars movie. But it's not just us. Many fans feel similar.

9. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Was the green plant at the end a symbol that winter was ending? If so that was an unreasonably short winter.

mitsho likes this.
  10. civvver

civvver Warlord

It's cus the white walkers are dead. They brought on artificial winters. Look at the scene where the children create them, it's all nice and green, and later that's far in the north and a frozen wasteland.

11. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

So there were no winters at all before the white walkers? Seems a bit much.

12. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I think that they are just regular winters.

13. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Not sure what a regular winter in Westeros would look like as their seasons are not yearly cyclical like ours. Unless that whole thing was caused by the NK.

14. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

She gives her speech to the troops and the guy guilty of treason whom she will dispatch soon walks right up beside her. She would have told Greyworm to arrest or kill him during the attack, not let him sidle up to her like its all good. I should have seen Bran the Broken becoming king...the king of one liners now gets to give orders to people scratching their heads at his wisdom as they walk away. Nah, he wont be giving many orders, Tyrion is really the king now.

15. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Yep... they showed that in the final Small Council scene where Bran comes in for like 10 seconds, says something like "I'm sure you'll handle it" to Tyrion twice... and leaves the room, basically telling them "as you were" or something along those lines. Bran has no intention of ruling, hes just serving as a figurehead, a symbolic ruler, "a good story" as Tyrion put it.

And as Bran cleverly and very explicitly told Tyrion at the dragon pit... (paraphrasing) "Well if I'm gonna be your figurehead, fine... but im not doing squat, you're doing all the actual work."

Imaus likes this.
  16. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

I keep the impression they were making a long series with many future seasons in mind and then decided to cut it abruptly. All the complex characters, relations, the three-eyed raven, the white walkers, the Lord of Light... nothing was of any use at the end. What have we been seen all these years?

17. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

lol, the perfect king... I'm surprised Bran didn't endorse the Maester's suggestion of 'everyone' deciding who should be king. Thats a bit illogical anyway I guess, they aint really a king if they can be voted out of office. Jon's sentence included no offspring thereby 'breaking the wheel', but a number of democracies still have royalty around for entertainment. I was under the impression 1-2 spinoffs are already in the works, one deals with those children throwing the firebombs at white walkers as a prequel.

18. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

That didn't take long:
    (warnign: spoilers and language and somesuch)

Highlights:
    3:56 : Black cats are Best Cats
    5:34 : Cildren are creepy
    Wasn't the dude from Kimmy Schmidt darker ?

6:10 : - 1Hammy overacting
    + 2 consistent with the style

Sommerswerd likes this.
  19. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

This is my take as well...The ending isn't necessarily bad, but the how they got there is...The show needed more time, plain and simple...Dany's descent into madness, Jon turning on her queen, the whole White Walkers/Night King and the Lord of Light arcs, they all felt too rushed during the past couple of seasons...
    All in all, I think the show was mostly good, up until season 7...I guess I want to read the books now, I started the first one a few years ago, but then I couldn't finish it for some reason...Hope GRRM delivers a good ending to the series, at least with the books, he will have the luxury of time to flesh out most of the plot points and deliver the ending that this series truly deserves...

20. Arwon

Arwon

Having clearly manipulated events to pave his way to the throne (bringing the Nights King down on them, fostering division between Jon and Danerys, prompting Jamie to go back south so Tyrion would be isolated from his family), the seeds were laid for the Three Eyed Raven now possessing Bran to become an immortal omniscient weirwood magic god emperor crushing dissent before it emerges, I think that's a nice change to the status quo.

Last edited: May 20, 2019