1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of thrones: Final Season: Winter finally arrives....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Extreme wages are always fundamentally absurd but if it's capitalism let's capital. The most popular tv-show gets the highest wages.

Birdjaguar and Kyriakos like this.
  2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

He wasn't even an actor, iirc. Apparently he then returned to his uni studies, having made enough money to pay for all student debt.

3. civvver

civvver Deity

I'm sure they didn't make those salaries starting out, that's probably their latest figures after the show blew up. Which is probably also why alfie allen and sam's actor are being reported at 10k. Like the walking dead cast was making around 50k an episode and had a big renegotiation mid series to make a few hundred thousand an episode. It's what happens when shows get popular, you get more.

The biggest thing I'm going to miss about game of thrones is the communal aspect of it. It was so big, everyone watched. It crossed genres, blending drama, soap opera style stuff with action and fantasy so something appealed to almost everyone. Now most shows are moving towards on demand dropping all at once for binge watching so you don't get the weekly discussion. HBO will still release like this, but I'm not sure we'll get another show as big to discuss. The last show pre game of thrones I remember feeling like this was breaking bad. Walking dead managed it just for a season or two. Before that was lost. But these shows are becoming increasingly rare, just cus of the way we consume entertainment now. I will miss that.

For instance, I absolutely loved Rectify, one of the best shows of the past decade, but no one watch it. I had no one to discuss it with. So the viewing experience did not feel as exciting. Same with some other shows like the latest true detective.

4. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Sopranos was pretty big.

A new champion will emerge to claim the throne... pun intended. ;)

Birdjaguar likes this.
  5. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I think the volume available these days makes it much more difficult. I've never seen many shows that people think are great.
    Back in the network only days, even a mediocre show would have more weekly viewers than most hit shows these days.
    But hopefully something will emerge.

Mise likes this.
  6. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Don't forget that the socio-political reasons that Dany had might have been our, the audience's, analysis. In the post-episode run down, the writers made it very much a psychological spur-of-the-moment thing, and the directing did try hard to make it look that way.

In our analysis, she had a political incentive to make an example of King's Landing. In the show writers' account, however, the reasons were all psychological (the reminder of what has been taken from her, etc). That doesn't mean the writers' word is the only truth, but it does highlight the psychological direction of the show vs. what the article terms the sociological approach that we the audience might still be looking for.

Erm, most criticism acknowledges that the direction and production values remain superb. The unhappiness is directed primarily at the writing.

That's assertion stated as fact. Where do you get that she's "done" with 2 continents? What does "done" mean anyway in that context?

Yeah, she's done with Winterfell - she said as much. She's probably done with King's Landing too after the disaster scene. And you can probably argue that she's done with all the politicking. But where do you get that she's done with Westeros as a whole, much less Essos, in which she's only been to 1 island city? I don't buy that. The show writers might well think this way, but it's basically baseless extrapolation.

7. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

where did the NK's army come from? He can raise the dead but nobody lives up there other than wildlings

I guess over time enough people died

8. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

@aelf OK what do you think would have been a more suitable ending for Arya?

9. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

If the show was like that in s4 then Oberyn would have sailed to Essos to do his thing there, after having killed the Mountain :)

10. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

IIRC, In 1983 after 256 episodes the MASH finale had over 100 Million viewers. In today's fractured market, GOT had almost 20 million on Sunday night and many more in the days following.

ulyssesSgrant likes this.
  11. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Does it matter what ending I like? I'm just saying this ending is lazy and doesn't make much sense.

I did say that she could've chosen to go to Essos. One of the reasons could be that she wanted to go where Dany used to rule (still ruled till she died?) and look at how the people have been doing. Since she never liked or trusted Dany, maybe she'd want to find out if Dany really made a difference. Maybe she could also want to explore the ruins of Valyria. Why sail west to potentially nothing when she's never even been a sailor?

12. civvver

civvver Deity

He could raise dead that have been dead for a long time, we saw this when the dead started breaking out of the crypts in winterfell. Although realistically the skeletons would've been dust, but whatever. And there are also a crap ton of wildlings north of the wall. When they assembled in that valley with Mance we got a shot of them. They were supposed to be as numerous as kings landing, which has like a million people in it. It's just most of the wildings started dying to white walkers and fleeing, like that girl the starks captured, I forget her name, she went with Rickon. And then a ton of them got killed at hardholme. So there are very few left.

Berzerker likes this.
  13. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I don't watch GoT so can't speak to examples from that show, but I will say that Harry Turtledove's novels strike me as the paradigmatic example of sociological fiction. They're large-scale stories with usually about twenty viewpoint characters sprawled across society, and characters routinely die and are replaced by other characters, and the stories are not character-driven, they're setting-driven, with characters basically doing what is demanded of them by their place in the setting.

Turtledove's not a very good writer (and that's probably an understatement) and not great at history but I like his universes, not his writing.

Mise and rah like this.
  14. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

What, some dude crying about a chicken?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  15. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

So the NK's army was mostly generations of wildlings which is ironic assuming the main reason they lived up there to be fossil fuel for the NK was they were driven north by southerners.

16. civvver

civvver Deity

I don't think they were driven north so much as contained there but I don't know the extended lore.

17. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Thats an interesting problem, if the legends of the NK said he could raise the dead I'd think the people trying to avoid his return wouldn't allow people to live there. Course the NK would instead attack with an army of bears and wolves and then raise the people they kill.

18. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Arya had already been to Esso tho… Isn't Bravos in Essos?

19. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Saying that she's "done with Essos" after being to Bravos is a bit like someone visiting Paris and claiming to have "seen Europe", isn't it? We know there's more to the continent even just from the three or four locations we've seen in the show.

aelf likes this.
  20. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

"Why do you think I came all this way?"

Bran's comment as Tyrion nominates him to be king

what did he mean?