1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of thrones: Final Season: Winter finally arrives....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

I should moderate myself a bit as I think there are some parts of Targaryan history that could be pretty cool to do. Like the Blackfyre rebellion or the dance of dragons.

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

BirraImperial likes this.
  3. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

My top choice for a spinoff remains the Life of Nymeria. That would include her family's role in trying to prevent the last war between Valyria at its height and the Rhoynar, as she was the young princess of one Rhoynar city-state that refused to participate in Garin the Great's mission to drive the Valyrian colonists from the Rhoyne. Garin was the greatest threat the Valyrians ever faced, as he raised an army half a million men strong and recruited water wizards who were able to flood whole cities and wipe out their populace. He managed to slay a couple dragons, but only provoked the freehold to send 300 more to burn every Rhoynar city to the ground and attempt their first complete genocide. Nymeria then becomes responsible for rescuing all of the Rhoynar refugees and finding them a new home, while under constant pursuit from dragon riders. Some of her people get captures as slaves, she manages to free some slaves to join her. They may interact with the first Faceless Men. They take every boat they can (probably fewer than the legendary 10,000 ships) to flee Essos. They try to settle on Naath, but many fall to Butterfly Fever. They try Gogossos and explore much of Sothyros but fail to find a site safe enough to settle. They find sanctuary on one of the Summer Isles, but have to leave when a dragon rider finds them and threatens to burn all the goldenheart groves. She learns of the Valyrian prophecy that the Doom of Man would come from Northern Westeros and that the Dragonlords are afraid to set foot on any part of that strange continent lest they awaken the ancient evil, and so she takes her remaining people to Dorne. They burn their ships to prove their resolve. Everyone rebuffs them except for Lord Mors Martell. She manages to form an alliance with him, perhaps putting aside other husbands to marry him and abandoning her people's many gods to adopt the Faith of the Seven. (Polyamory was normal among the Rhoynar. The wiki says Mors was her first husband and she did marry 2 other Dornish Lords after his death, but I like to imagine she had 2 husbands at the same time back in Essos plus both male and female paramours.) Their combined forces defeat the Blood Royal of House Yronwood and unite Dorne for the first time ever. Some of her followers rebel and form the Orphans of the Greenblood, refusing to abandon their gods or adopt Weterosi customs.

My second choice remains The Century of Blood. That is of course the time after the fall of Valyria. It is when the Dothraki rose to prominence, and when the Free cities warred among themselves. There were several dragon lords who survived the fall, including not only the Targaryens but also Emperor Aurion, the governors of Myr, and several vacationing in Lys. Myr and Lys launch revolutions in which they kill the dragons and their riders. Volantis tries to avenge them, launching a war to conquer its younger sisters and attempt to restore the Valyrian Freehold with a new capital. There are several attempts to investigate Valyria itself. Aurion, Gerion Lannister, and half the Volantine Navy are lost there. We get to see Gaemon the Glorious earn his name.

My third choice would focus on the rise of the Valyria, how a group of poor shepherds first learned to ride dragons. It would involve sorcerers from Asshai discovering the Firewyrms in the Fourteen Flames and using Blood Magic to combine them with a species of large flying but fire-less dragons that once roamed much of the known world but had gone extinct except for those that the empires of the far east used as mounts. The blood mages find the new fiery beasts hard to control unless they also bind them to human beings infused with the blood of the dragons. The first dragon riders are slave warriors of eastern despots, but they manage to overthrow them when they learn to combine the power of blood magic learned from their masters with the power of fire.

My fourth choice would focus on the intrigue and infighting in Valyria itself leading up to The Doom. We would see what really drove Aenar Targaryen to flees to Dragonstone. Daenys's dream may have been genuinely prophetic, but I prefer to think her father only used it as an excuse to leave after political defeats, or perhaps learned from her gifts a way to cause the Doom. How much later Targaryan kings feared the rise of a New Valyria makes me suspect that they were not innocent but actively tried to bring the downfall of a civilizations they had come to recognize as evil.

My fifth choice would focus on the Faceless Men and the founding of Braavos.

4. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Sounds like pointless hair-splitting to me. Not sure why the rating of one individual episode would matter over time either.

5. Kyriakos

I like that there was a petition for hbo to remake s8. Obviously that won't ever happen, but it is good that the show writers faced serious backlash over their decisions and work ^_^
    If you are paid so much, you should take some damage if the end result is so unpopular.

6. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Complaints about writing have been growing since S7, so I don't know from where you're pulling up this idea that it's not already happened.
    Yeah, well, that's your opinion. 4,4 seems a pretty fair rating to me. It was boring and nonsensical, and that certainly doesn't deserve a good rating.

7. Kyriakos

At reddit's /freefolk there were memes specifically mocking the low level of writing/dialogue in GoT since season 5 (eg the sandsnakes).
    Imo GoT quality-wise can realistically be split to post and pre death of Tywin :) Not that everything pre s5 was awesome (remember the Shei/howitisspelled actress?) and/or everything after s4 was garbage, but the difference is in my view quite clear.

Estebonrober likes this.
  8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

This would be fun to watch.

9. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

As long as he gets off his lazy ass and writes it before he passes, and they can equal the cinematography and acting, I really don't care what it is.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  10. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I think this sort of thing tends to have the opposite effect. Self-evidently impossible demands tend to make the petitioners appear unreasonable, and cast the target of the petition as victims of an ungrateful mob.

Sofista and rah like this.
  11. civvver

civvver Warlord

Episodes 1 and 2 I'd give a solid 8. I thought they moved too slowly but that was only because we knew the season was only 6 episodes and I felt they weren't leaving enough time for other stuff to resolve, which is exactly what happened! But on their own, in the context of a normal season, they were just right. Good pacing, nice story telling, building some character arcs. Not particularly witty but they got the job done.

Episode 3 had some major lighting issues, and as someone else put it, an Arya ex machina which I completely agree with, but it's still at least a 7. A cool episode, mostly downgraded just cus of the wasted potential. It could have been much, much more.

Episode 4 and 5 on their own I think are also 8s but together they drop to 7s for me because they outright contradict each other. In 4 a dragon is easily shot from the sky and Drogon flees the giant crossbows. Then they march right up to the gates of kings landing with a tiny group of unsullied leading one to think most of them died. Then in 5, suddenly Drogon is invincible basically, lays waste to everything with ease, and the unsullied numbers have increase like 20 times overnight. That lack of continuity hurts both.

The finale gets a 3 and drags the whole season down from a 7 or so to like a 5 for me, it just left such a bad taste in my mouth. For comparison I'd say seasons 1-4 were all 10s, 5 is a 9, 6 is a 7 (I just didn't like 6 much), 7 is an 8 (I guess I liked it more than most. I really liked beyond the wall episode).

12. Kyriakos

I think that this was the only demand which would get people's attention, though. I doubt anyone expected it to materialize (Hbo won't throw away tens of millions to make a new season 8, openly admitting the end result wasn't popular). If the petition demand was more common i think it would be forgotten more quickly and/or make less of a splash.

13. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Finally watched the finale.
    Decent episode given it had to tie up all those loose ends.
    Poor Edmure still used as the butt of jokes, he comes across better in the books.

14. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Chieftain

Where it got to was fine(should note Bran is a much bigger character in the books so that is lost on a lot of just viewers), how it got there was terrible. 4.4 is a fair rating I'd say. Furthermore the writing suffered any time it started straying from the books, whether combining characters or leaving out stories. It's fine I understand it for the functional reality of it, but its just hard to imitate someone else when writing someone else's work. The Wheel of Time was a great demonstration of that in book form. The narration style changes and it is noticeable.

S7&8 were both very sub par and they should have cut 50% of the battle sequences for more dialogue and plot filling. Why did I watch Arya run through King's Landing for like 15 minutes again? Trying to make me feel bad for people in this show at this point is kind of silly.

15. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

What does getting people's attention achieve? I could get people's attention by running bare-arsed down the street, doesn't mean this will be generally interpreted as the incisive commentary I intended it to be. "Horde of angry nerds complain about something not being perfect" is a well-worn trope, at this point.

rah likes this.
  16. Josu

Josu Chieftain

BTW, I am re-reading the books, and realized that Brandon Stark The Shipwright salied across the Sunset sea, but never returned.
    I am not really interested on it, but I think that the showrunners will consider it.

17. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

I always think, when peoples say George should hurry up writing, show him a bit more respect..
    70 years old, am sure that he has higher priorities in his life now.

Surprised by the imdb rating, would be fair if imdb was accurate on ratings,
    but any joke movie gets 7+ these days via fake reviews.
    Considering that, 5-6 would be more reasonable.

AmazonQueen likes this.
  18. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Give anything halfway decent less than 9.5/10 and its treated as an insult nowadays.
    I'd give s8 a 6/10, entertaining TV but not up to the standards of s1-4 which I'd give 8/10.

Fippy and Sofista like this.
  19. Kyriakos

I think you are right.

20. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

If he wants people to stop saying that he should stop promising that he's going to do it.
    If he said he had no intention of writing it since he was working on other projects or had other priorities, I'd say no problem, that's his choice.
    I think it's quite deserving after his fans had to wait almost 10 year break after book 3 for the next one.