Game of thrones: Final Season: Winter finally arrives....

It's easier to give the awards at the end of the run of a show. It can't screw up (even more), you kinda know all about the show already. Award shows are just very very cautious and I agree, it's a shame/sham.

In other news, what we see as spoilers for the prequel named blood moon seems really promising, at least to me. Other opinions?

The cultural endurance of any story has much to do with the desire to retell it, despite knowing how it ends. Breaking Bad is not devalued by knowing the ending; The Sopranos is not devalued by knowing the ending; Romeo and Juliet tells you the ending at the beginning of the play ... making a case not just for this tragedy, but for the endurance of tragic stories in general. Romeo and Juliet, Orpheus and Eurydice—we tell and retell these stories despite knowing how they're going to end. I bring this up because knowing how the show ends, are you going to begin to watch it again? What is the legacy of Game of Thrones going to be?

Because there are endings that ruin a story in hindsight. I used to watch and rewatch the earlier seasons of the show, but now, knowing how it ends, knowing what they're building towards, knowing how nihilistic and stupid and mean it ends up being, there's just no enjoyment in the journey even anymore. Even in the very long process of making these two episodes, rewatching Game of Thrones was just an exercise in frustration, because you know now that the build-up they're going towards has little or no payoff. The enjoyment of experiencing a story should not be ruined by knowing how it ends.

I think that after the dust settles and all the hot takes are taken—and I recognize I'm probably at the end of this train—the answer is going to be no. It's not going to be remembered for the journey we all undertook. It's going to be remembered as a thing that was ruined by its ending—one of the greatest examples of that... maybe ever.​

—Lindsay Ellis, "The Last of the Game of Thrones Hot Takes"
[Viewer discretion is advised; it's GoT clips after all]

The cultural endurance of any story has much to do with the desire to retell it, despite knowing how it ends. Breaking Bad is not devalued by knowing the ending; The Sopranos is not devalued by knowing the ending; Romeo and Juliet tells you the ending at the beginning of the play ... making a case not just for this tragedy, but for the endurance of tragic stories in general. Romeo and Juliet, Orpheus and Eurydice—we tell and retell these stories despite knowing how they're going to end. I bring this up because knowing how the show ends, are you going to begin to watch it again? What is the legacy of Game of Thrones going to be?

Because there are endings that ruin a story in hindsight. I used to watch and rewatch the earlier seasons of the show, but now, knowing how it ends, knowing what they're building towards, knowing how nihilistic and stupid and mean it ends up being, there's just no enjoyment in the journey even anymore. Even in the very long process of making these two episodes, rewatching Game of Thrones was just an exercise in frustration, because you know now that the build-up they're going towards has little or no payoff. The enjoyment of experiencing a story should not be ruined by knowing how it ends.

I think that after the dust settles and all the hot takes are taken—and I recognize I'm probably at the end of this train—the answer is going to be no. It's not going to be remembered for the journey we all undertook. It's going to be remembered as a thing that was ruined by its ending—one of the greatest examples of that... maybe ever.​

—Lindsay Ellis, "The Last of the Game of Thrones Hot Takes"
[Viewer discretion is advised; it's GoT clips after all]

Interesting question about such a long tortured journey is, is it even possible for an ending that satisfies.

The ending wasn't great but I enjoyed the journey enough that it didn't bother me anywhere near what it did for others.

The ending wasn't great but I enjoyed the journey enough that it didn't bother me anywhere near what it did for others.

Books are better but I don’t think he gets around to finishing them now. He got what he wanted in life. TV fame.

I stopped reading them when he did his 10 year vacation from them. And yeah, I doubt they'll be finished.

They obviously won't. No one really returns to something they abandoned 100 years ago and manages to finish something half-decent.
Iirc even classical authors, like Flaubert (I mean if you can actually regard him as a classical author; he had success with one book and then sort of faded away. But he was writing another one for iirc more than 15 years).

I'm hoping it'll come out, but I'm not really expecting it too ... I think I've just been waiting so long, I'm sort of numb to it now and I've kinda accepted he's not going to finish. I'm disappointed, because I'm really interested in finding out what he has planned for his characters, but there's nothing I can do.

I'm a sucker for secrets ... I have to know!

STAR WARS NERDS: "Rian Johnson is the worst screenwriter in the history of forever!!!"
D&D: "Allow us to introduce ourselves..."

I agree that one cannot take the first seasons seriously after what happened in the last ones. It was basically all a build-up to nothing, particularly in regards to the white-walkers, but with many more dead-ends (eg Varys' castration reasons...ehm... stick out :p)
Besides, why was Dany needed at all? At least in the show it is her dragon which gets stolen by the NK and allows him to cross the wall. So without her the WW would stay north of the wall, it is to be assumed. If King Rob had killed her it would basically be game over for the WW and a better case for everyone in the 7 kingdoms.

Top Bottom