4.3 "Breaker of Chains" April 20, 2014
4.4 "Oathkeeper" April 27, 2014
4.5 "First of His Name" May 4, 2014
4.6 "The Laws of Gods and Men" May 11, 2014
4.7 "Mockingbird" May 18, 2014
4.8 "The Mountain and the Viper" June 1, 2014
4.9 "The Watchers on the Wall" June 8, 2014
4.10 "The Children" June 15, 2014

ARE YOU GUYS HYPED OR WHAT? SEASON FOUR STARTS TONIGHT!!

Where are muh dragons?!?!

HBOGo sucks so much, having to wait an hour or two to watch :undecide:

... What was that ...

Hate to say it, but that honestly felt like a bit of a let down for the season premier. Ah well, every great show is entitled to a few under-performing episodes. The transitions between stories felt so awkward

HBOGo sucks so much, having to wait an hour or two to watch :undecide:

their servers were on fire. they were literally doing maintenance on them around 10 to make room for people. i just came back from watching not 15 minutes ago.

i thought it was a decently solid opener. i guess i have eagerly awaiting new material so any new material is good material.

their servers were on fire. they were literally doing maintenance on them around 10 to make room for people. i just came back from watching not 15 minutes ago.

i thought it was a decently solid opener. i guess i have eagerly awaiting new material so any new material is good material.

Yeah, I noticed that, just finished watching it now.

I didn't see any problem with it. Went exactly as I anticipated, and I thought it was well done.

Only weird thing for me was the transition back from the end of book 5 to the middle of book 3, have to completely change your mindset on that one.

I really enjoyed the episode. I think it was the best season opener after season one. The opener with tywin and the sword was just perfect, and there were some things I was worried about that were handled pretty well, lie Aryas scene without the Tickler or Oberyns short exposition on the Lannister/Martell animosity. The only thing that bothered me a bit are the Thenns. They seem too alien and weird for lack of a better word, and I'm not sure they had the same dietary preference in the books. Their culture is supposed to be more similar to southerners than their fellow wildlings, but here they look even more barbaric.

I too really enjoyed that episode. Great way to start the season off.

Watching Ice be reforged into Oathkeeper and Widows Wail was really difficult.

Oberyn's entrance into King's Landing was much better in the books but I think what the show did with it was very well thought out. In a short period of time we learned who Oberyn is, why he is here, why he dislikes Lannisters, that he is sexually liberal, and that he means business while simultaneously making him look really cool. They also recanted what happened to Rhaegar and Elia and their children for the show-watchers. All in all, good work.

New Daario is jarring and not all that interesting. We'll have to wait and see though. I'm still sad we won't be getting Strong Belwas.

I'm with GoodSarmatian on the Thenns. In the book, the Thenns seemed pretty cool guys, being more civilized, having a lord, smelting bronze armor. They made the Thenns needlessly scary, though I suppose the show is combining a few of the lesser and more dis-likeable widlings together for simplicity.

Jon's scene at the wall was great. We are starting to see Kit Harrington's acting show through now that his script has more meat in it. HAR! Loved it when Janos Slynt laughed at the mention of Giants and then looked over to Ser Allisor Thorn's stone-cold face and realized he doesn't know anything. Then that burn!

Last season I had no idea how they are going to do Shae and Tyrion's storyline as Show Shae is a completely different character from book Shae, but now I think I got an inkling of how D&D will make it work.

Glad they mentioned Cersei's excessive drinking and "symptoms". That'll make for an interesting sub-plot leading towards the end of the season, considering Jaime shouldn't be in Kings Landing this early.

Introducing Ser Dontos and including Arya's tavern scene is exciting. I hadn't thought either of them would be included but here we are. The chemistry between Arya and the Hound translates amazingly well on television and I'm digging that they showed Arya smirking as they left the tavern. I still feel as if the show was missing some of Arya's ferocity from the books scene though.

Jaime waving his golden hand and some of the Hound's lines were hilarious!

I had to rewatch the episode, for some reason it clicked much better with me the second time than the first. I haven't read the books yet so I read up a bit on some of the new characters (not too much to spoil it) before seeing it again. Still I felt the transitions were a bit awkward, but not as bad as I thought at first.

Anyways - About the Thenns, if they were supposed to be civilized in the book and made dangerous here, do you think they will be represented quite different from the books?

They are also dangerous in the books, but civilized in the sense that they forge metal armor, have a king (who they almost worship like a god) and are disciplined soldiers rather than fierce warriors. I was almost fine with their portrayal (except for their leader's weird face) until the arm appeared. Without spoiling too much, turning them into such an alien culture will make some future plot developments from the books very unlikely. There are some savage wildling groups that practice cannibalism, and I think TheLastOne36 is right about them being combined with the Thenns for the show. One of the few changes from the books that I disapprove of.

Hm... had its moments, but I am not very happy somehow. Felt awkward to me. I didn't really get into the flow of it.
For someone who didn't read the novels the appearance of the Thenns was very sudden and unexplained.

I read that with this season the show will considerably depart from the novel. That worries me. I trust a novelist a lot more with a story than TV guys. Too focused on doing a job.
New Daario is jarring and not all that interesting.
Oh yes this. Old Daario represented the confident playboy extremely well. New Daario seems utterly ordinary and bland.

Hm... had its moments, but I am not very happy somehow. Felt awkward to me. I didn't really get into the flow of it.
For someone who didn't read the novels the appearance of the Thenns was very sudden and unexplained.

I read that with this season the show will considerably depart from the novel. That worries me. I trust a novelist a lot more with a story than TV guys. Too focused on doing a job.

Oh yes this. Old Daario represented the confident playboy extremely well. New Daario seems utterly ordinary and bland.

I am in the same boat as you. A couple of other people I know who hadn't read the books like me felt this was maybe the most awkward episode of the whole series so far. Things didn't flow together well the first time I saw it, which I think means the introductions were rushed/forced. But again, I have no worries that it will be better

From what I got from the dialogue, it looks like the Thenns climbed the wall after Tormund's group. For reference, in the books, Mance Rayder orders the Thenns to climb the wall because they of all the wildlings were the most disciplined and well armored, traits most suited for such an important task.

Here is a quote from Jon about the Thenns: "The Thenns have lords and laws ... They mine tin and copper for bronze, forge their own arms and armor instead of stealing it. A proud folk, and brave."

Book-reader speculation:

Spoiler ADWD :
I am thinking that they are going to have Tormund marry Alys Karstark instead of Sigorn Thenn. This is the easiest way to explain things to show-watchers, if they choose to include the Alys Karstark storyline at all.

Sassy Stark and the Hound need their own miniseries.

He's learning to love after a lifetime of killing.

She's a homicidal enfant terrible with serious daddy issues.

Wolf and Hound, coming this fall to NBC.

Co-starring Jason Alexander as Ser Costanza, the Hound's best friend.

Of course, every TV series needs a reoccurring gimmick, like the joke in Fox Force Five. In each episode of Wolf and Hound, Arya will recount yet another horrible death by a family member at which point Ser Costanza will say how he wants his parents to receive an similar fate and the Hound will grunt unintelligibly. Either that, or the Hound kills people for increasingly unusual foodstuffs.

God forbid if someone has KFC

Next week on Wolf and Hound

Arya and the Hound arrive at the Vale. The Hound's chambers overlook the ever-glowing stove of the local Kenny Roger's Roasters franchisee which keeps him from getting a good night's sleep. Ser Costanza engages in an intimate relationship with Lady Arryn, but he feels inadequate so he gets some crib notes on performance from the Hound. Arya tells everyone who will listen how angry she is that her family has been killed and then murders someone who slipped a beer on her three years ago.

I saw this and thought I'd share:

gah, apparently it's almost another year till it's aired here on free tv....and I don't want to upgrade my cable subscription just for one show)

Guess I'll have to wait or hope that my cable supplier offers it on demand :/

Top Bottom