Game of Thrones: Season 4

Re: the Purple Wedding:

When the officiate talked about anyone breaking up the union, there was a great head shot of Joffrey with Oberyn on one side and the Queen of Thorns on the other...

Nice deflect.

But, humourously enough... who would eat a pie that doves had crapped in?

You worry about a bit of dove crap? Those sliced open raw birds are probably carriers of all sorts of diseases

It was explicitly mentioned in the books -- and I thought implied in the show, too -- that the pigeon pie was for show, and the actual pie was one actually prepared for the purpose of eating.

Properly prepared, squab is delicious.

Episode 3 spoilers:

Spoiler :
I am really really bothered by what they've done to the Sept-Sex scene between Jaime and Cersei. I've spent the better part of the past two hours on reddit discussing this scene with fellow book-readers but here is one reddit post that I think explains my thoughts on the scene:

I'm going to try to take a stab at this without resorting to whether the scene canonically was or wasn't rape- all I can say for certain is that it is eventually consensual. In either case, it's a disturbing scene on a number of levels, especially considering the emotional context.

What disturbs me far more about the show's portrayal of the scene is the light it casts on Cersei and Jaime's relationship as a larger whole. In the end, they are both two undeniably broken and ed up individuals, but their relationship hinges on personal choice. Loving Jaime is a choice Cersei made, and that choice is especially important when you consider that throughout the years of her marriage, throughout years of suffering rape and abuse at the hands of Robert over and over again, Jaime was the lover she chose. She was not auctioned off to him, she was not coerced into a relationship with him- their relationship, as messed up and unhealthy as it is, is a representation of her own agency as a character. She is not Jaime's victim. She is his equal- and often, his better.

In the other corner, Jaime is someone who witnessed first hand the effects of abuse in a relationship that forms a distinct parallel with his own- the marriage of Rhaella and Aerys. And the abuse he heard and saw in the Red Keep has haunted him for decades. The nature of Jaime and Cersei's relationship is not the same as the nature of Aerys and Rhaella's. That is established.

So when the directors and writers make a distinct choice to frame this scene in the way that they did, with no verbal consent, with Cersei clearly resisting, and with Jaime as a malicious, vindictive aggressor and abuser, it begs the question of why. What statement were they trying to make? How do they see the relationship between the twins? And why did they see it as necessary to change it?

Rape or not, consent or not, this was a deliberate change from the book. And I can't wrap my head around any reason why that change is a good thing in the larger context of Jaime and Cersei's relationship.

The scene was just made further awkward from the books due to Jaime having been in King's Landing for months already and with Cersei actively rejecting him all that time. In the books, Jaime had just arrived at King's Landing to find his son dead and his sister/lover grieving.

Maybe not enough starks left for you? Or the lack of stark deaths this season?

Good God Littlefinger's accent is painful to listen to.
Well, Aidan Gillen is Irish. No idea why, but for some reason it seems it was found that Petyr Baelish might as well sound Irish this season.:mischief:

So that's how they are born...

The land belongs to the original inhabitants. May winter come quickly

I swear he changes accents each time he comes on screen.

I think in "Oathkeeper" his accent occasionally changed not just inside a scene, but in the same line. His first line in that episode...

I found the accent off putting at first, but it might be intentional. Littlefinger comes from a very minor house far away from King's Landing, and it's possible that now that he's not in the capital and not talking to high lords he has just stopped pretending.
I think I see what they're trying to do, I've yet to decide whether it's working or not. It certainly doesn't help that Littlefinger is one of the few things I really don't like about the adaption.
About the other half of the episode: WTF ?!

They were not kidding when they said season 4 will have significant departures from the books.

Top Bottom