1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones Season 5 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Given the show is to start again in roughly a month, maybe the thread can already begin? :)

For the time being we only have the trailer, which focuses on Essos:

Link to video.

You can use the thread to discuss the new season, or ties to the older ones. As usual you should place book spoilers in their tag, don't be a Greyjoy :shake:

2. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I don't know. I'm dreadfully confused. Where's the story up to at the present moment? I've read all of the available books. Does the TV series follow the volumes? So that Season 5 is Volume 5?

3. Kyriakos

^I haven't read the books apart from some chapters of the first one, so cannot really help there...

Afaik from reading threads on this, the show will diverge more, and likely there will be no Greyjoy subplot (only Theon and maybe his dad/sister), and some important Dorne characters likely aren't there either.

Also, as you may recall, Martin noted that some 'main' characters who don't die in the book are to die in this season. It is debatable just how 'main' those will be, though..

As for the series: currently Tywin is dead, Lord Friendzone is exiled, and Gregor Clegane has died and was worked upon in the ending episode. Arya sails for Braavos, and Stannis with company is at Castle Black.

4. kramerfan86

kramerfan86 Deity

i think we are about to witness a rather extreme book to TV show schism. Martin probably told them the end point, but they are likely going to create their own journey now since A) they have nearly caught him and B) it honestly seems less and less likely he will properly finish the series.

5. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Wut? Sansa sailed for Braavos? I must have missed that. And who is Lord Friendzone? You mean the guy with the dragon bird who turned out to be spying but was on her side really?

6. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton Awake

Not Sansa, the younger one and yes to the second question.

I am feeling ambivalent about the next season. A mixture of apathy, expected let-down, curiosity and feeble hope for something really good.

7. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Ah well, Arya in Braavos has an interesting time.

8. Kyriakos

I meant Arya, yes. And Lord slave-trader Mormont :)

9. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Slave-trader?

Was he?

I've missed a lot!

But there's two Lord Mormonts: father and son. Or maybe more.

10. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

I'm really intrigued by the Tyrion/Daenerys alliance the trailer hints at. Tyrion's ideas enforced by Dany's charisma could be potent indeed. I do kind of wonder how it will work out though. Their families have somewhat rocky history, and I can't imagine trusting Tyrion would be easy at this point.

11. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I'm not sure the plot gets that far. But it's possible that's the long term aim.

12. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

From what I've heard that's about right, except I think Martin has given a few key plot points rather than just the end.

13. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Jorah Mormont (the one who was with Dany) is the son of Jeor Mormont.

Jorah fell in love with a beautiful southern woman he met at a tournament (the only tournament he ever won). As only a lowly knight, he had little chance of wooing her. Believing that he would have a better chance as an actual Lord, he convinced his father to abdicate his position as the ruler of Bear Island and join the Nightswatch. As an experienced commander of noble birth, it did not take Jeor Mormont very long to rise through the ranks to become the Lord Commander of the Nightswatch.

Jorah managed to wed the woman, but she was really not happy with the spartan lifestyle of a lesser northern lord. His ancestral castle was hardly anything more than a log cabin as far as she was concerned. She had very expensive taste. Jorah went deep into debt buying her things and renovating their dwelling, but it was not enough for her.

In his role as the Lord of Bear Island, Jorah captured several criminals who chose to take advantage of their legal right to have their crimes absolved by joining the Nightswatch. Rather than sending them to the Wall, he decided to sell them into slavery to help pay off some of his debts. The payment he received was not nearly enough to help his financial situation much, and he got caught. Slavery is illegal in the seven kingdoms. He was stripped of his rank and all of his honors and ordered to go join the Nightswatch himself. That would require not only taking vows which would end his marriage, but would also mean facing his father in shame. He instead chose to flee the country and go into exile.

While in Essos, his wife abandoned him for younger, richer, better looking man. I'm thinking that relationship also failed and she eventually became a prostitute, but don't remember the details clearly.

Jorah's mother is now the ruler of Bear Island. Or was she captured and deposed by the Greyjoys during the recent war? I don't quite remember. Anyway, but she and her daughter are large masculine women who can beat most men in combat.

The TV show has not explained this in as much detail as the book.

The fact that he personally killed Twyin Lannister would probably help. There is no one Dany hates more than the Hand who betrayed her father and ordered the murder of her innocent niece and nephew.

It would also help that he starts boasting about killing King Joffrey, even though most readers think he was innocent. Saying he was falsely convicted wouldn't go over as well among the boy-king's enemies as among his friends.

Of course in the books Tyrion does not go to Dany so soon. He instead enters the service of another Targaryen pretender, who claims to be Raegar's son whom everyone believed to be dead. (I'm still inclined to believe him and Jon Connington about his identity, but many fans prefer to think that he is the last of the Blackfyres instead, the scion of a cadet branch formed by a legitimized Targaryen bastard.)

Tyrion does not end up near Dany until after he is kidnapped and sold into slavery among her enemies. They also meet at the end of the last published book, but not quite.

14. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

I'm hoping Season 5 starts with Tyrion managing a Cinnabon in Qarth.

15. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

His aunt, actually. And at least in the books, she has several of those daughters (one of which was killed at the Red Wedding).

16. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

where do you get this from? Sure hes old but he isnt super old the next book should come out this year or next year. and maybe say 2020ish for the last.

17. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

And it's the sort of thing that someone else could finish for him anyway. All he's got to do is indicate the plot outline (which I'd guess he already has) and another writer could just fill in between the dots. It's not like Martin's writing style is particularly his own.

18. Kyriakos

His writing style is bordering on being notably crappy, imo :\

And afaik the series already altered the characters personality to considerable degree, eg Tyrion is always whitewashed in the show (which i have to note i do like, cause if he also was a creep i would have no one to sort of like there- apart from Davos, and Stannis-if-he-had-not-disfigured-Davos).

Tyrion is played by the best actor there too. :)

19. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

As long as Tyrion lives I will be happy. He is the best character on the show by far. I was sad to see daddy Lannister die, but "you can't make an omelet" as the saying goes...

20. kramerfan86

kramerfan86 Deity

He is a 66 year old fairly unhealthy man. There is absolutely no indication other than optimism book 6 is coming this year and the gap between books is steadily growing and isnt going to speed up as he ages even more. I fully expect the book 7 release to be his rough draft cleaned up and released posthumously at which point the show will be over and already finished the tale.