1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones Season 5 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

I think that it takes away from the mystery to just show the WW that much. It was better in the previous seasons, in my view :)

Now they seem to act like another antagonist, and not like a magical force that doesn't have ends from a human POV anyway.

2. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

But the white walkers are humans, arent they? Some ancient advanced race or something, it is only they are a bit weird and can mess with the deads.

3. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Nobody knows. Maybe not even Martin.

4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

5. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

I hope they kill Jaime. It wouldn't make the Dorne plot better,but at least It wouldn't be so pointless.

6. Leoreth

Leoreth Vampire of the Blue Moon Moderator

He could go full on Bakker and have them be sufficiently advanced space aliens.

7. aelf

aelf Ashen One

I always thought they were simply the minions of Angra Mainyu/Ahriman, and dragons and the Red Priesthood were the minions of Ahura Mazda.

8. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Got there a few episodes early.

9. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

What can I say? I misjudged how much they backload the action sequences each season.

10. illram

illram Deity Retired Moderator

Meh. I think there is plenty left to tell. I.e. where they come from, what they want, etc. We still don't know their backstory, and the books only give you little nuggets of possibilities about what is going on.

We still don't know much other than they're sort of humanity's worst nightmare. We already knew there was some brooding elite inner circle of master whitewalkers from the end of one of the prior series (was it last series?) The only real new thing we know is Valyrian steel is apparently able to kill them (did we know that already? I don't remember ever hearing that) and the head honcho dude now has a special zombie crush on Jon Snow for killing one of his ancient zombie besties. I mean that must seriously suck--if you live for untold thousands of years and are essentially immortal, dying must be a real bummer.

The end of the battle, where king zombie man raised up his new army of the dead recruits, also served the useful function of showing everyone who came with Jon that he was totally right, and that the more wildlings you leave to die in the north, the more undead you face at the wall.

Spoiler :
    Not that that is going to help Jon when he returns home to his... umm.. "friends...":(

11. JollyRoger

Perhaps they can make it watchable by bringing in Saul Goodman as Cersei's lawyer.

12. BvBPL

Yeah, that's what one would think, but the actions of the horny ice king don't really bear that out. He just let Snow and the Wildlings sail away to their next gig. He didn't order his zombies into the water to attack the ships, he didn't summon the wind storm he came in on to smash at the sails of the ships, he didn't throw a rock at them.

Maybe they should have built a canal instead of a wall.

13. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

I don't understand why Cersei's uncle doesn't try to rescue her. Even if he's not to fond of her, if her son is an illegitimate product of incest that should mean he's off the throne and lannisters lose that advantage. Maybe I should bring this up because I haven't read the books and it might lead to a spoiler.

14. BvBPL

We don't know if the uncle is in King's Landing yet, for one thing.

For another thing, the uncle hates Cersei. He's Hand now and once Cersei gets out she will remove him as a Hand. There's no reason for him to rescue her.

15. JollyRoger

Getting a Hand job in King's Landing seems a bit dangerous.

16. BvBPL

He'll have to try to not let it go to his head.

17. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

But if one of the charges is that her children are illegitimate that would remove his position wouldn't it? Is she being charged just for sex with the cousin or is the incest with Jaime thing brought up too? What is there to prevent Tommen from jus sending the kings guard in? Have they said how powerful the high sparrows forces are by comparison? I mean rough estimate.

18. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

i dont think guys armed with robes and sticks are a match for armored guards, it is more about the whole city mob unresting if the king attack his religious leader.

19. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Then again in the show it seems no one really cared when the previous high scepter was sacked and jailed :)

20. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I wouldn't say that Kevan hates Cersei. He knows that she is incompetent to wield power, but does not actually want any harm to come to her.

Kevan himself does not like playing the game of thrones and would really rather be able to retire from public life completely, but feels that it is his duty to step in a fill the role of Hand and Regent because everyone else who wants those positions would be horrible for the realm.

Kevan was a much better father than was his elder brother Tywin. He genuinely cares about all his children, rather than just wanting to protect his legacy and the family name.

It is important to note that his eldest son is Lancel. Brother Lancel has abandoned the family name to join the Warrior's Sons of the Faith Militant. (Much like the Nightswatch, Kingsguard, or Maesters, joining them requires taking an oath to abandon all titles or inheritance.) Kevan dos not approve of his religious fanaticism, but he still loves his son.

Lancel is of course the chief witness for the prosecution in the case against Cersei. Proving Cersei innocent would mean proving Lancel guilty of perjury. Lancel has already done penance for the crimes of which he confessed, but would face more punishment if his confession was proven false.

Kevan protecting Lancel may require condemning Cersei, even if he has no ill will towards her.

In the books, the High Sparrow was politically savvy enough not to bring any public charges against Cersei for incest with his twin brother leading to the birth of their king. It is sufficient to see her punished for treason and adultery, as there is a strong case that she seduced Lancel and used him to kill her husband King Robert Baratheon. The High Sparrow believes Tommen is a bastard born of incest and should not be on the throne, but wants to keep this secret so as not to support Stannis's claim to the throne. If Stannis still confessed the Faith of the Seven then the High Sparrow would gladly endorse his rule, but he is an apostate too heavily influenced by a Red Priestess who would love to burn all the Septs and force everyone to convert to the service of Rh'llor. If Denarys were already at the gates of Kings Landing then the Faith would likely support her in dethroning Tommen, but they were never too fond of the Targaryens (who were openly incestuous) anyway.