1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones Season 5 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

2. civvver

civvver Deity

Here's what I don't get. Milesandre (spelling might be off) and Stannis specifically discuss Gendry. When they did the same offering with Gendry they uses leeches and burned them. And it worked great, Joffery died. Why then was it necessary to kill Shireen? Couldn't they just do the same thing? Plus you have the benefit of saving more of her blood for later. That part just didn't make any sense.

And yeah, outrage at stannis, he's a worthless bleepity bleep now, he's dead to me. I hope Dorne and Daneraeys team up and burn everyone now with her dragons.

However thinking about the brutality of the episdoe, we do seem to forget than when the Lannisters came into king's landing the Mountain raped and killed Ms. Martell (forget her name Oberyn's sister) and smashed her babies heads in against a stone wall iirc. It's kind of like comparing shades of gray and saying which one is grayer, but I feel like that's almost more brutal than what we witnessed last night, only difference is it wasn't shown, only recounted to us. So the world of westeros has always been explicitly violent and terrible.

But it all just felt so unnecessary, as if to say hey don't forget how violent this world is!

Also what the hell, regular spears can pierce dragon's skin/scale/whatever? I thought dragons were the ultimate weapons that allowed the Targaryens to conquer the world, but apparently you can just spear them to death? That seemed wholly illogical.

Completely off topic from last night's episode, all this lord of light stuff reminds me, what ever happened to Donderian and that Thanos or Thoros priest dude? I totally forgot, but they were the ones who originally sold Gendry to Milesandre weren't they? Then they just kind of disappeared.

3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Surely not, given that theatrical adaptation was by Euripides anyway :mischief:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphigenia

edit:nm, there is a play titled Agamemnon by Aeschylos (not the two Iphigenia plays by Euripides)...

I blame the script writers of GoT for this mistake ;)

4. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Dragon is still young and has a lot of growing left to do before approaching the stature of the Black Dread whom Aegon I rode to conquer Westeros.

That said, I still think he should have been about double the side as shown. Here he was not much bigger than the other dragons were shown as being a few episodes ago. In the book, the fact that he was off flying free instead of being confined meant that he kept growing much faster.

In the books, Dondarrion gave up his life to resurrect Catelyn Stark. Thoros of Myr was not powerful enough to resurrect on his own her as he had Beric, since her body had spent days rotting after being dumped in the river. Dondarrion already felt like he lost a little more of himself each time her came back, but when he brought Catelyn back as "Lady Stoneheart" she lost more. Her personality is completely different now, driven entirely by a need for revenge. She is now the leader of the Brotherhood without Banners. I think Thoros still serves her.

Lady Stoneheart probably will never appear on the show. The actress who played Catelyn is no longer under any contract with Game of Thrones and has moved on to other projects.

In the books Gendry stayed with the Brotherhood, working as their blacksmith. His part with Melisandra was played by the young Edric Storm, the one bastard whom King Robert has been forced to acknowledge and whom Ned Stark wanted him to officially legitimize and name his heir. Edric was conceived during Stannis's wedding. His mother was the first cousin of Stannis's bride Selyse, a noble woman from house Florent who was serving as a bridesmaid. Robert was caught having sex with her in the bed where Stannis and Selyse were supposed to consummate their marriage. Whereas Genry's mother was a common whore barmaid and he grew up never knowing his parentage, Edric knew his pedigree and was raised with greater privilege than most noblemen. Although he could not inherit unless the King granted a bill of legitimacy, everyone expected he would grow up to be at least a powerful landed knight. The Castellan of Storm's End was willing to fight off multiple armies to defend him. Stannis has a mixed view of the boy. His birth is a great disgrace, but he is clearly family on both sides. The boy is a bit spoiled and arrogant, but he gets along well with Shireen. Had Ned managed to get Robert to sign the Bill of Legitimacy then Stannis would consider it his duty to swear fealty to the bastard, but since that did not happen he considers it his duty to rule personally.

Martin has apparently revealed that Stannis's daughter will be sacrificed eventually, but so far king has still refused. I believe we are currently at the point where Melisandra insisted that they needed to kill her to get good enough weather, but then thee weather cleared up anyway on its own.

5. illram

illram Deity

Can't wait for how upset some are going to be next week........

6. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

The last episode next has the big fireworks. They use it for foreshadowing.

J

7. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

At least it will be amusing with more internet reaction videos I suppose.

This season has been a long row of disappointments. My personal reactions when watching the episodes is a mixture of :rolleyes: and :gripe:

The writers seem to do stuff for shock effect instead of some semblance of internal logic or character development. Context is often stripped away, and they love to introduce plot holes. Just the Pit scene alone was enough to want to stab kittens to death, and I love kittens :(

For someone who survived a mighty long siege at Storm's End, Stannis is mightily lousy to protect his own army when they camp for the night.

For a huge event that the Queen herself participates in, I think it's fair to say the security was a little lax.

So frustrating for what was a great show in season one. Just like a car crash. You don't want to watch, yet can't look away. Then another car rams into the pile.

"But, but, look, there are boobies and dragons. WOOOT!"

:shake:

8. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

Not boobies anymore, and the dragons are flimsy. :(

9. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Daenerys should trade them all for Cumberbatch-powered Smaug.

Hobbit movies were pretty mediocre overall, but Smaug's the best cinematic dragon ever, and I want more.

10. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Well I'm breaking up with Stannis. We're finished!

11. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

I didn't like his boobies that much anyhow.

12. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

I was confused about that too.

It's possible that whatever Melisandre was working on required a greater sacrifice. Maybe an immediate weather working, which is what she appeared to be doing, just needs more than the sort of slow curse from the leaches.

Alternatively, it is possible that her magic has a diminishing rate of return.

Finally, consider the difficulty in actually finding leeches in that environment.
    --
    I'm wondering if the Wildlings are going to join Stannis's army. It would fit both with the prophecy about Stannis defeating the White Walkers and would allow Snow to send support to Stannis w/o breaking his oath.

--

The bit where Bronn gets his jaw smacked amused me.

It's probably of young or juvenile age. That would put its CR at seven to ten, which is pretty good, but not anything a skilled party can't handle.

13. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Honestly I am a bit surprised to see the amount of criticism (on here, haven't seen it really elsewhere) for this last episode. It felt like everything was built accordingly to this stage and sets up several paths.

People forget it seems that Martin advises and also gives direction on how the series should go. Everything is going according to plan, but I guess a well executed plan that isn't clear for all may seem like a train wreck to others?

14. Kyriakos

From Reddit:

Stannis "Put your kin to the sear and food will appear" Baratheon
    Stannis "I need a bite, let my daughter ignite" Baratheon

:)

15. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

If the plan was to character assassinate practically every main character left alive, then they have done a stellar job to be fair. If the plan was to make a show that would stand the test of time, much less so.

Hopefully Martin isn't much involved any more. I can't imagine he would approve of the idiocy these writers come up with. He probably suffers from Stockholm Syndrome by now.

I've seen harsh criticism not just here btw, but at other sites I frequent as well. Not just from book readers either, who have something to compare it with of course, and would rather enjoy a nice glass of wine than mud water, but from non-book readers too. At some point there are just too many plotholes that the rest kind of crumbles, and even action scenes can't contain people's "suspension of disbelief".

The show seems to be doing a very solid Heroes. Great first season, then worse with every new season. We seem to be coming closer to the point where large numbers of the audience are going "WTF?" a bit too often for comfort.

16. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Thought "Bring your daughter to the slaughter" was most amusing, mainly because I like Iron Maiden :D

17. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Considering Martin is the one who suggested to D&D that BBQ scene, I sure couldn't imagine he wouldn't approve :rolleyes:

18. Kyriakos

^There isn't any built-up by now, stuff just happen for the WTF/pseudo-shock factor.
    Maybe next Melisandre will try to burn the ancient god-tree at Winterfell, but Ghost will appear and bite her arm off, cause this is princess Mononoke :p

19. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Next Melisandre will melt the Wall, because ice is bad m'kay?

It's a strange mix. You can see most developments come a mile off, like the human torch, yet the writers sometimes manage to "impress" you with stooping to yet new levels of idiocy.

I'm still a relatively young man (I try to tell myself), so hopefully at some point in the future, when all books are out (it's possible, right?), somebody else will give this excellent literary work the love and respect it deserves.

It started out well, I loved season one, but now they may as well have had Hodor as the main writer.

20. Yeekim

Yeekim Moderator Moderator

Wasn't Shireen actually left to the Dragonstone in the books? I.e she is not even present at the Wall and the subsequent march to Winterfell?
    Or am I misremembering?