Game of Thrones Season 5 discussion thread

I'm still a relatively young man (I try to tell myself), so hopefully at some point in the future, when all books are out (it's possible, right?), somebody else will give this excellent literary work the love and respect it deserves.
That's what I meant when I said I'm waiting for GoT: Brotherhood.

As for the books, I think it's Martin's lifespan we need to worry about more than our own. Oh well, in the worst case they can just hand over the material to Brandon Sanderson, who might actually be able to tie things up in a more satisfying and logical fashion anyway.

Me watching the last episode:

"Hmm OK. Yeah. Interesting. Yup, that happened. Mmhmm. OK, next. I'm getting bored now is there going to be any action in this ep--OHMYGOD THIS IS AMAZING MOREMOREMORE."

Seriously that was awesome. I don't care if they diverge from the books if the next two episodes are that epic.
I am late to reply to this but it felt even more amazing to me how perfectly you captured my own experience there :goodjob: That is exactly what was going on in my mind :lol:
Anyway, haven't seen the latest episode yet, so I'll hurry back to the exit, eyes closed and thumbs in my ears.

I have a mix of :love: / :mad: towards Melisandra now. :undecide:

That's what I meant when I said I'm waiting for GoT: Brotherhood.

As for the books, I think it's Martin's lifespan we need to worry about more than our own. Oh well, in the worst case they can just hand over the material to Brandon Sanderson, who might actually be able to tie things up in a more satisfying and logical fashion anyway.

Didn't have that line in mind, I just genuinely hope somebody will take on this project at some point in the future, and treat it with the respect and love it deserves. These D&D chumps certainly aren't.

Worried that the main character will die off before the books are finished as well, especially given the (lack of) pace he has had with the last books.

Only one episode left now, thankfully, before I can put a black line across this neverending story idiocy. Maybe I'll re-read the books too, to thoroughly wipe this rape of a good literary work from my mind.

It's really a shame though because there's still some great actors on the show (Headey, Christie, Dormer) who are kind of wasted now.

Agree with that. Admittedly some great actors have been killed off (Ned, Tywin, for starters), but they still have a decent lot left. Also think Stannis could have been so much better if they hadn't badly misused him. He looks perfect for the part, so a good casting in that sense.

Unfortunately they cut important parts of the story so they could stick with familiar faces like Bronn and Jaime instead, even if their escapade in Dorne makes no sense whatsoever.

Should also be said, though, that it probably wasn't easy to adapt book 4 and 5 to a TV format. Okay, they did a shocking job, but in terms of events and character diversity, it probably wasn't the easiest job.

I never found Stannis' actor very remarkable, but that might also be the role. I think Bean was ever only on the show because of Ned's limited life span, he's still a tier above everyone else there in terms of profile.

Charles Dance was great though, best actor on the show overall in my opinion.

Apart from Sean Bean, who is better than all actors ever, i like Tyrion's the most, while those for Tywin, Cercei and even Jaime (and Robb) are/were good. Also Katelyn's was good :)

The High Sparrow just has a sort of mundane role in the show. The actor is good (and known).

BTW:

Dinklage is good, but I don't think he really outshines most of the cast as much as commonly thought.

Dinklage is good, but I don't think he really outshines most of the cast as much as commonly thought.

But he also has to work with crap most of the time (XXXX merchant? :mischief: ), and has some of the most intense scenes otherwise. I think the trial's end and Tyrion vs Tywin there was the best sequence in the show :)

Tyrion's material is best while he's in KL. Neither Martin nor Dinklage can make his arc in ADWD interesting.

Wasn't Shireen actually left to the Dragonstone in the books? I.e she is not even present at the Wall and the subsequent march to Winterfell?
Or am I misremembering?

No Shireen was brought to the Wall, I remember her meeting Wun Wun. She nor Selyse or Melisandre went to march on Winterfell though. Dragonstone was also taken by Loras in the books after Stannis left.

You guys are off base, Melisandra is trying to force the Prophesy of the Promised Prince, Azor Ahai, or whatever name you prefer, that would save the world from the Night onto Stannis. She is totally misinterpreting the prophesy and forcing it, when prophesies need to just happen. This part of the prophesy is the sacrifice.

Since I don't have the time to quote the book, here is a video where I agree with the theory presented since I was already thinking it. This video is from January too, but I just saw it last weekend before I finally got to see the episode. The episode just reinforced my belief.

Link to video.

This is funny if you like nba as well.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/grantland-channel-lebron-james-torches-the-warriors/

What happened to Asha in the show? I forget. Guess in the books she's still around with Theon?

Anyway what happens in the books, to me, I don't care if the show follows it or not. It really can't just cus of time. But I just don't get some of the decisions. It seems like the entire thing is just a nihilistic view of dark times. Like hey guys, life stinks and there are no heroes or happy endings. Alright we get it by now, but sometimes the decisions don't seem to server the plot at all, just that whole sinking, kill everyone feeling of despair.

I thought the last episode was fine other than the unnecessary killing of shireen, but yes the pit scene was pretty badly choreographed until the guys in masks attacked. And I don't get dorne. It looks like it has a population of a tiny town, not a superpower country. Hire a few more extras maybe.

No Shireen was brought to the Wall, I remember her meeting Wun Wun. She nor Selyse or Melisandre went to march on Winterfell though. Dragonstone was also taken by Loras in the books after Stannis left.
She meets Wun Wun? I need to speed up my ADWD reread. Because initially she is left in Eastwatch-by-the-Sea and is basically offscreen.

You guys are off base, Melisandra is trying to force the Prophesy of the Promised Prince, Azor Ahai, or whatever name you prefer, that would save the world from the Night onto Stannis. She is totally misinterpreting the prophesy and forcing it, when prophesies need to just happen. This part of the prophesy is the sacrifice.
If the PWWP and AA are even the same thing. I could easily see Jon being one and Daenerys being the other.

But I agree that Melisandre is foolish for believing that Stannis is Azor Ahai, and that Stannis is a hypocrite for claiming to be Azor Ahai. Actually I liked Melisandre more before she became a POV character because there was a lot more uncertainty if she actually believed in Stannis or was only manipulating him.

Didn't have that line in mind, I just genuinely hope somebody will take on this project at some point in the future, and treat it with the respect and love it deserves. These D&D chumps certainly aren't.

Worried that the main character will die off before the books are finished as well, especially given the (lack of) pace he has had with the last books.

Only one episode left now, thankfully, before I can put a black line across this neverending story idiocy. Maybe I'll re-read the books too, to thoroughly wipe this rape of a good literary work from my mind.
Peter Jackson should make this his next project.

Future Book spoilers follow. Read at your own peril...

Spoiler :
Re: Shireen. It's going to happen in the books as well.

“When George first told us about this,” David Benioff recounts, “It was one of those moments when I remember looking at Dan, and I was just like, “God, that’s so horrible — and so good in a story sense, because it all comes together.”

Oops. So much for "Stannis wouldn't do that!"

Since I don't have the time to quote the book, here is a video where I agree with the theory presented since I was already thinking it. This video is from January too, but I just saw it last weekend before I finally got to see the episode. The episode just reinforced my belief.

Link to video.

Sooooo I skipped to the end of that video because my god that guy's voice puts me to sleep, but yeah basically that seems like the ending they're telegraphing.

I think it'd be great storytelling if the "prophecies" turned out to be total bunk. There is no AA. There is no PWWP. It fits Martin's whole "subverting the tropes" thing he has going. People are just people, living in a real world where bad things happen to good people just because that's what would "really" happen. No Get Out Of Jail Free cards just because you're Ned Robb Sansa Stark.

I'll grant I think, just IMO, that Jon, Tyrion, & Dany have temporary invincible plot armor, (S5E10 Spoiler, don't read it if you haven't read the books!!!),
Spoiler :
despite what book readers know is going to happen to Jon next episode, I still think this - he'll survive somehow
but only to the endgame. Then everyone's fair game to "what would actually happen". Prophecies be damned.

Top Bottom