1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of thrones, season 7

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Apr 2, 2017.

1. rah

rah Deity Supporter

But of course it will critical since it stands on the concentration of dragon glass.
    And it a pretty good staging area. Considering it didn't look like it would take much to deny it to dany, I'm surprised it was empty.

2. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

To be fair, the existence of Dany's army is still mostly a myth to the nobility. There is no real threat (according to them) so there's no point in protecting an isolated coastal fortress that's far away from the "real" conflicts.

3. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

In spite of all the hate @ Ed Sheeran, I actually liked that scene. I am also intrigued by how it'll play out. Will these soldiers turn out to actually be nice guys and will Arya slaughter them anyway? Or will they reaffirm her faith in humanity and live?

bernie14 likes this.
  4. Gen.Mannerheim

Gen.Mannerheim Grand Moff

However, its still a strong refuge. Dragonstone was a large castle built by a civilization far superior to those in Westeros. Also, it controls the mouth of Blackwater Bay, which is where the Capital is, putting pressure on any holder of the Red Keep. Part of the reason the Lannisters kept having rely on the Tyrells for food was because Stannis was preventing any shipments from Essos.

Dragonstone made Stannis a threat, not because it gave Stannis large armies (though in the book he was able to draw together a large navy from the island lords), but because its defensible position and historic ties to the Royal Family allowed Stannis to keep existing. Dragonstone gave Stannis a place to keep running to for safety every time things went bad for him. It is inconceivable that he would have left it unguarded.

5. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Stannis left a garrison but it was defeated by the Lannister/Tyrel invasion. But a lot has happened since then and I think it's plausible that neither Tyrels or Lannisters have forces to spend garrisoning Dragonstone.

6. Peuri

Peuri Game

I liked that scene. Especially how Arya was so cocky. Almost at the beginning she said she doesn't want to steal their food, secretly implying she could/would cut them all down. In the middle of the conversation she glances to see all their swords neatly in a pile too far away if the stabs start falling. She also tried to bait them to tell about their "adventures" ie massacres & rapes, so she could kill them without moral qualms. And to top it off, she just blurts our that she will kill their sovereign, and the soldiers just laugh. Best scene in the episode.

Other than that, what has this Ed Sheeran fellow (I had no idea he was famous or a singer when I watched the scene, thought that he was just another extra) to deserve all the hate? Did he refer to Caitlyn Jenner as a "he" or what?

7. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton Awake

Not aware of that hating, but I find that easy to explain. People who love to hate on the internet. People who love GoT. What kind of people do fit both criteria? And now a young successful pop star doing soulless pop trash (only knowing his love-the-shape-of-your-body-song, generalizing from there) out of nowhere and for no good reason invades their escapist and very non-popy world.
    I let you do the math ;)

8. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Maybe Arya can kill the Mountain as well, if she can kill 12 soldiers ;)

9. Peuri

Peuri Game

Were there that many? I thought I saw like 5-6. She could handle that. She'd be like *shoosh*, *clang*, "kiaa!", *sblurge*, and they'd be like, "I'm dead now".

10. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton Awake

I don't see it. She can masquerade. I suppose she can do some very proficient sword or needle fighting by now. But physically she is pathetic. And to my reckoning, you need that physical aspect to handle that many people in close proximity. Otherwise they will just hold you down and you are finished. Even if you quickly stab two in the belly. You know already assuming movie logic.

11. Kyriakos

Remember how weary the Hound was, of fighting against 5-6 soldiers ^^ Arya>Hound :/

12. Peuri

Peuri Game

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong. That's just the general vibe I got from the scene. Arya has been around (Lannister) soldiers & mercs long enough in the first few books and then trained in assassination to not go into a situation she could put herself in danger for silly things like some chat & a bite of a rabbit I'd think. Unless she knew she could kill them, or escape I guess. I mean, A Feast for Crows was all about everyone pillaging and raping the Riverlands. Why would Arya think the soldiers are any different now?

13. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton Awake

Those are good points.
    Not having read the books, the vibe I had was "This is nice. But also stupidly dangerous. Isn't she seeing herself being raped?" When she glanced at the swords, I think your interpretation was one they went for, but I only thought this was about showing us the signal of Lanister and further affirming the potential danger. It did not occur to me to see this as a calculated glance assuring herself of her safety. Since "UNSAFE" was all I had on my mind in that regard.

14. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Ed Sheeran? I had no clue as to who he was or that he was notable. Now had they cast Mick Jagger as the High Priest, that would have caught my eye.

15. Plexus

Plexus Architeuthidae puericomedentis

It had to be explained to me who he even was.

16. Kyriakos

I didn't know who Ed Sheeran was either, i thought it was just some random extra/small-time actor.
    Or some nephew of Boris -BoJo- Johnson

17. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah, I had no idea who he was until i read about it online. My wife recognized him right away.

Gen.Mannerheim likes this.
  18. Gen.Mannerheim

Gen.Mannerheim Grand Moff

At my watch party, my sister and a buddy's wife both instantly recognized his voice and started squeeing with delight, causing the rest of us to just looked blankly at one another in confusion :lol:

rah likes this.
  19. rah

rah Deity Supporter

:lol: :lol: My wife was unable to watch it live so I was watching it alone. The next day I read about it and when I rewatched it with her the next night I though I could sound really knowledgeable by mentioning it. But she recognized him before they even showed his face. So much for that. :D

20. Kyriakos

Going from the trailer for ep2, it seems there won't be a major battle (?). Maybe the sea-battle will take place, though, given the ep is titled "Stormborn".

Unless the Stormborn is that King Rob's bastard, that can row :mischief: