1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game options gone after patch?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by jonpfl, Oct 23, 2010.

1. jonpfl

jonpfl Prince

All,

I used to pick various things when starting a game and they seem to be gone (world age, sea level, etc).

Any ideas why?

Thx
    jonpfl

2. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Select Advanced Setup. (If you are going through the Setup Game route).

Maybe what you are describing is what you used to get when choosing Play Now. It may be that the patch has changed it and when you choose Play Now you no longer get to choose those settings. This may even be a bug.

3. PinkRose

PinkRose Warlord

"Play Now" would imply being able to play without doing anything else, aka Play Now.
    If you want settings for your game, you choose the "Set-up Game" option.
    Seems to be working as intended.

4. PieceOfMind

That would seem logical, wouldn't it?

In civ4 bts, if you press play now, you get 5 screens:
    1. Choose mapscript
    2. Choose sealevel and climate and worldsize.
    3. Choose leader/civ
    4. Name leader/civ.
    5. Choose difficulty and gamespeed.

I was fairly sure that before the recent patch civ5 did a similar thing, and at least one of the screens included the option to choose the age of the Earth (just like in civ1 :king:). But admittedly I practically never used it to start games, and probably just did it once to see how it worked.

Now when you press Play Now, it immediately puts you into a game.

Can anyone who used to actually use the Play Now option confirm one way or the other? I'm getting the impression that the OP is a person who could answer that question.

5. Neuro

Neuro Warlord

Play Now has always started the game using the most recently selected basic options. It used the default options for everything else.

I haven't started a new game with the new patch yet so I can't tell what it's current behavior is.

6. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

They probably removed it, because having options given to you when you hit play now, is just too much micromanagement for the mainstream to take.

7. PieceOfMind

Thanks for the clarification. What I was thinking of must be when you use Setup Game but not the advanced settings.

8. Dun Malg

Dun Malg Chieftain

Nah, I just checked the un-updated 1.0.0.62 install on my other computer, and "Play Now" dumped me straight to a picture of randomly selected Alexander and some guy mumbling about stuff, just like the updated version on my laptop. Probably just one of those things he remembered from older Civ iterations. I still do that.

9. PieceOfMind

I could've sworn there was somewhere in civ5 where you got to pick the age of the earth in its own screen. Apparently it wasn't the Play Now option, and it's not the Setup Game Option. :confused:

10. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Indeed, my friend... indeed.