1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Pace - your first game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Lancor, Sep 18, 2010.

?

Which pace are you going to use in your first game?

1. Marathon

63 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Epic

53 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. Normal

163 vote(s)
    56.6%
  4. Quick

8 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Don't care / random

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  1. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

In Civ IV I play epic. But I will play my first game of Civ V on normal, with default settings.

It's not the same game, so I gotta give a try to the "default" the developers have envisioned. Only then will I adapt it to my taste.

Even though there are many hints that the speed issue will be the same as in Civ IV, it's still premature to just go ahead and set it to epic or marathon right away as if this were Civ IV.

2. geebo

geebo Prince

True maybe your right… default everything first. It is a whole new game.

3. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

First Ironclad prototype put to sea: 1859

First Destroyer prototypes put to sea: 1887

...one tech away sounds about right to me.

4. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Yeah that's nice and all, but never forget gameplay is more important than realism. If there are only 10-15 turns between my ironclads and my destroyers, I have a pretty useless unit there (ironclads).

5. RX2000

RX2000 Prince

I will play normal on my first play through just to get to the modern era fairly quickly & be able to test out the new combat system. After that I will most likely start playing on Marathon, like I usually did in Civ 4.

6. krunsh

krunsh Prince

normal and prince difficulty... probably gonna loose :)

I've played a lot of marathon in Civ 4 but never realy understood how it worked. Was it all proportional? like X2 number of turn, X2 cost in production and so on?

7. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

Ironclads seem like a stopgap unit; you only use them when you're more focused on land military and just need something to protect a few vital ports while you tech land units. That's how I used them in Civ4, too.

8. Bluetooth

Bluetooth King

I'll start on Epic but I will probably move on to Marathon after a couple of games.

9. gazius

gazius Warlord

Kinda redundant don't you think? :D

It always seemed wrong to me that you could pass six thousands years of history in hours. With marathon I felt like I could maneuver more, especially when paired with a giant map.

10. City Builder

City Builder Complicated Complication

Marathon is the only game speed that I've ever played on. That is to say that I tried Normal one time and made it through a couple dozen turns before I realized that something did not feel right and so I quit and went back to playing on Marathon again and have never really looked to change that since that experience.

11. Brota

Brota Warlord

Normal, to give me a better idea how the AI and other mechanics work.

12. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

I'll try out normal first, but in Civ IV i generally only play on epic.

13. Indibil

Indibil Chieftain

Epic here. I can't really get into Marathon, but that might well change with the Furor Teutonis.

14. Swift777

Swift777 Chieftain

Normal. Need to give the game a quick run-through just to get a feel for things.

After that, Epic - Marathon is a bit too stiflingly slow for me, though I will sometimes start up a game if I want something lasting and awesome :D

15. Baleur

Baleur Prince

tbh every speed is intended, as is every difficulty level.
    It's not like they just drag a turn-slower-downer slider, they balance each speed level to work as well as Normal.

16. Silver44Guy

Silver44Guy Chieftain

if you look at the turn file in civ5gamespeed.xml they do just adjust everything pretty much across the board. I originally played a game on marathon - way tooooo slow (not enough units). i am trying epic now and I adjusted unit production from 150% to 120% and research from 150% to 180% and i think it will be a better game.

I also often find in the later ages the research comes in sooo fast! So I might even slow research down quicker at that point.

17. RX2000

RX2000 Prince

I played through my first game on normal. Won a space race victory in like 2015 AD.... Took about 8-10 or so of play time. (I was going slowly & soaking it all in since it was my first time with Civ V. :) )

18. heartCORE

heartCORE Chieftain

Real men play on MARATHON!

19. MasterDinadan

MasterDinadan Warlord

I think playing on Quick has allowed me to get the hang of things a lot faster. Being able to play dozens of games in the time it takes to play a single marathon gives me the chance to see what works and what doesn't. I also can get a better feel for what difficulty I should be playing at.

Now that I know what I'm doing and how the AI plays on each difficulty, I can probably enjoy a much longer game.

20. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Like I said earlier, I used to be an epic speed player in Civ IV. I played my first game on Normal in Civ V and it took me over 15 hours. I don't think I'll need to go to epic speed for Civ V. Normal feels like IV's epic.