1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game performance / Loading times

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Beeswax, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Beeswax

Beeswax Chieftain

Hi community,

is there a comprehensive list of tips what I could do to improve the game performance/speed resp. reduce the loading times during turns?

I've got a quite powerful notebook (i7 processor), strong graphic card and proper RAM. Still, it seems impossible to play larger maps with - say - 12+ AI-civs, especially when entering the mid-game (not to mention the late game) without having at least 1 minute waiting between the turns.

I'd appreciate any input as C2C is a fantastic mod that deserves lots of playing!!!

Many thanks,

B

2. AIAndy

AIAndy Chieftain

Mainly make sure that your energy management settings allow the processor to use one core at maximum speed. As there is little multithreading used yet, most of the processing has to be done on a single thread and therefore a single core.

Apart from that we try to improve the performance continuously so using the latest version is a good idea.

3. Stormwind

Stormwind Chieftain

There are quite a few i7 mobile CPUs which have clocks under 2Ghz so without the exact model number we can't say if the CPU maybe not powerful enough for fast turns.

4. Tehx

Tehx Chieftain

Performance, e.g. reaction time when selecting untis, can be greatly improved by reducing graphic levels and by disabling AA. This may hurt since you have a good card as you say, but it works.

5. AIAndy

AIAndy Chieftain

I am pretty sure that that will not help in the case here as the problem are the computation of the game mechanics and AI and the resulting turn times, not the graphics.

6. Tehx

Tehx Chieftain

Sorry to hear that.. reducing graphics settings though certainly is on the list of things you can do to increase performance.

7. AIAndy

AIAndy Chieftain

When you have performance problems during your own turn, reaction time and the like, then reducing graphics settings might help. During computer player turns the time for graphics computation is minor in comparison and also mainly done in the graphics card.
    The major effort is done in the DLL code and Python and unfortunately in this Python implementation you can't do real multithreading and the DLL code is not designed for multithreading. So all that computation is done on a single core of your processor.
    Unfortunately little progress has been made in this area in the last years and several of nowadays processors are actually worse in single core performance than those 4 years ago.

While there is the possibility to have multithreading in the DLL, this would be a LOT of effort which is currently better spent elsewhere.

8. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

If you find yourself in a context wherevturn times seem to have increased significantly due to the way your specific game has evolved, submit a save game for analysis. Often we find bottlenecks in the code that only show up in certain circumstances such as related to map topology, or to things triggered by the discovery of particular techs, and so so. Generally speaking a save game exhibiting such behavior allows issues like that to at least be inderstood, and in many cases mitigated significantly.

9. alb22

alb22 Chieftain

Just wanted to post this thread here, with main focus on the blue quoted area.

Summary: Get a tool that lets you pick a specific pixel shader version and select v1.4.

Tried it minutes ago, and regarding lag time on unit selection, scrolling and overall gui reaction it lets your game make a sudden quantum jump.