1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game play sessions, techniques and standards

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by DaveShack, Dec 31, 2005.

1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

This thread is for discussion of game play techniques, tips, and strategies. Other topics which might be of interest are how leaders should give instructions to DPs, how many screenshots we want of game sessions, and any other discussion related to playing the game itself.

Some of these topics might be second nature to veterans, but for those experiencing their first democracy game it would be helpful to have things well hashed out instead of having misunderstandings. Also we veterans must not assume we know best how to conduct a play session, it is entirely possible that some first timer will have a great suggestion, and we should remain open to that.

Some areas of discussion might be:
    • Worker automation vs manual workers
    • How many workers to stack
    • Citizen automation vs manual MM
    • Stack attack vs picked units
    • Rules of thumb on how much risk to accept (e.g. attack with 10% chance of win, or try to draw out defenders)

2. DaveShack

:bump: Nobody has any suggestions about this topic?

3. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

Do everything as manual as possible :D - we do have the manpower for that, after all.

4. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

I agree; manual doesn't take that long in Civ 4, compared to Civ 3.

5. Bengeance

Bengeance Civ Retributioner

Yeah, I definitely vote for taking the extra time to do it manually. We've got plenty of manpower and should be able to plan out in detail what we would like to accomplish with each set of turns.

6. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

manual all the way, i do prefer stack attacks though as i dont like having my forces spread out other than a few scouts.

7. Gloriana

Gloriana Chieftain

I agree on the manual as well! 'Nuff said. (for a change...)

8. DaveShack

I would tend to use manual for worker actions, but use the advanced buttons for city MM. Emphasize production, food, commerce, great people, no growth are really powerful in terms of usability.

The cities should be on a governor by governor basis.

9. Bengeance

Bengeance Civ Retributioner

I assumed that the govenors of each city/state would have the final say on those sorts of things short of an official poll by the Assembly. I was just thinking that with all the time the officials should have to plan out each city/worker/project that micromanaging becomes more of a friend and less of a pain in the rear.