1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

game processing speed

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Mind Flower, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Mind Flower

Mind Flower Chieftain

I was running from mod folder in my documents and the game was running so slow between turns i lost interest. I installed Invictus in program files and runs really smooth. Does the filepath have an impact on processing speed?? Are there settings I can use to lower the game processing demand much lower to like invictus levels?

2. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

Invictus mod is way smaller than this one.
    File path doesn't have any impact on processing speed.

You can play with two or three AIs if you want quicker turns.

3. Mind Flower

Mind Flower Chieftain

Im using a 08 Laptop with a business nVidia Chipset for graphics modeling It does not have 1gb vram. It has 4 gigs of ram but there is room for 8 gigs,

You think if I got 8 gigs it would fix the problem? Do I need a real gaming pc? Is there a rare or unusual feature in PCs that is sought after when playing a game like this?

4. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

8 GB rams means MAFs are practically gone - you would have to be in midgame on Huge map, and after playing for half of day MAF could happen.
    On other hand those could be just random crashes.

Most important thing is CPU, that has very good performance in singlethreaded software like this game.

I have Intel i3-3220 (it has 3.3 Ghz), but mine isn't best CPU for this game around here.

5. Mind Flower

Mind Flower Chieftain

mafs? I can only guess what that means. Memory access failure? I use core 2 Duo 2.53 ghz

6. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

Yeah.

Get some gaming PC - CPU you have is much worse than mine.

7. Mind Flower

Mind Flower Chieftain

what does maf do. I can play all day and not crash once but the average weight between turns is 1min +

8. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

MAF is when you run out of memory. It's crash due to lack of memory - game can't use more than 2900 MB of ram.

Waiting one minute isn't bad.
    On Huge map with 7 AIs and in midgame (Modern era) wait time can be in between 3 - 5 minutes depending on CPU and what is happening in game.

I have windowed mode, so I can tab out easily and do something else in meantime.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Mind Flower likes this.
  9. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

4GB RAM should be enough to avoid MAF (memory allocation failure = out of RAM and crash to desktop), but you will have to really minimize the amount of software that use RAM which are running underneath the game.

CPU frequency (Hz) is very important for game turn time, but multiple CPU cores won't help much at all. CPU single thread performance is all that counts, multithread performance is irrelevant for this game.
    Some have reported that good frequency RAM chips (like 3 GHz or more) can improve game experience by reducing stuttering and such.
    Graphic card is not particularity important, but 1 GB of VRAM is recommended.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Mind Flower likes this.
  10. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

8 GB of RAM means, that system and other software don't steal RAM from Civ4.
    Multithreading means, that other things shouldn't get in way of Civ4 too much.

Basically those things improve experience with game indirectly.

Mind Flower likes this.
  11. tmv

tmv Chieftain

Keep in mind that you need a 64bit OS for this, otherwise the additional 4 GB of RAM really don't do anything. In fact, any large software that is always running should better be 64 bit - Civ 4 is 32 bit unfortunately, and that cannot be helped, but 64 bit software that is always active (like antivirus) can "move out of the way" for 32 bit software / games.

Mind Flower and raxo2222 like this.
  12. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

I know.

I guess not everyone has 64bit windows yet :p

tmv likes this.