1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Question - What would you do now?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Lorax, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Lorax

Lorax Chieftain

I have a game abot 1825AD and I am at a crossroads what to do.....I have a very large (probably huge) military - advisor says I am larger than everyone else and I have nukes just as a deterrent from others using them....

5 Civs left
    Byzantines (small and hapless)
    Germany (Backwards in every way)
    Netherlands (Large and I have a MPP with them)
    Russians (Large, resource rich and biggest miltary rival - bully)
    Egypt (Large with a MPP with the Netherlands)

I am thinking instead of a space race victory just to wreak havoc and start a war - Egypt & Russia vs Me & Netherlands.....I think I can take either Egypt or Russia and with the Netherlands squeezed between them - I can force Russia & Egypt into two front wars....

Should I throw caution to the wind and start a big war rather than have this large force go to waste? Or try for a space race victory....Diplomacy is out as all the civs hate me except Netherlands who is "Cautious", but I built the UN to make sure they cant win diplomatically......

2. Talar

Talar Warlord

In your situation I would invade russia, isn't that every generals dream scenario after all ;)

3. wilbill

wilbill That Old Time Religion

Let's see, you have MPP with Netherlands and Netherlands has MPP with Egypt. You'll need to be careful about starting that war or you'll end up with all of 'em against you.

4. Lorax

Lorax Chieftain

Whoops....mistyped - Egypt & Russia have the MPP....

5. Bobisback

Bobisback Emperor

I would go to war;)

6. Bleser

Bleser Prince

Screenshots would be nice...and maybe a technology breakdown - what kind of units would be fighting here? Modern Armor vs. Mech Infantry? If so, your Modern armor only have a 21.6% chance of winning if the Mech Infatry is in a Metropolis (which most probably are). So be ready for a long war, unless you use lots of artillery and air power to soften them up.

7. jm chen

jm chen power lurker

For me it would depend on the map. How far would the new cities be from your capital? I would eliminate the weakest rival first, giving you more time to generate promotions and maybe even a leader. Could you acquire new resources by taking over this rival's territory? The two-front war is tempting, as long as it won't put YOU in a two-front war...

8. Capt Buttkick

Capt Buttkick Emperor

Space race, unless you want to brush up on modern warfare :)
    Deterrent forces (also other than the nukes) aren't a waste. They've served their purpose if noone attacks you.

9. majk-iii

majk-iii Eeh?

airpower, marines and Modern Army-Armies... yeah and more airpower. Lethal bombardment is beautiful... en masse.
    Is it pangea or arch or what?
    Either take the small civs first or get them on your side aswell... russia will probably go after them first... or at least have to stretch their armies, meaning less counter-attacks.

10. majk-iii

majk-iii Eeh?

why is it btw that ai-civs seem to be able to choose not to honor mpp's when u are automaticly going to war if they're attacked???

11. majk-iii

majk-iii Eeh?

...That **** really bugs me.

12. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

I'd probably let world war lose.

13. ybbor

ybbor Will not change his avata

dependds, normally i would say take the 2 weak ones, but in this case only if a)thier only border is with you, and the other, not a neighboring nation, or b)they are on thier own continent, far from russia or egypt, the reason? those cities will make an okay extra production area, provide eliets/leaders, but you can't be bothered with having decent defenders, or building infastructure

14. Lorax

Lorax Chieftain

In a strange turn of events....

Everyone was signing MPPs. I decided to reup with Netherlands. Egypt made one Byzantines, etc...

Russia decided to declare war on the Netherlands - not surprising, they are neighbors and major rivals....This domino effect of MPPs brought everyone else into the war aligned AGAINST Russia...I am pretty pleased about it, I dont have a tech advantage with Russia, they have Modern Armor too, but I have a tactical advantage as I only have to fight them -where they have to fight nearly a 3 front war....

I have discovered the ominpotence of Artillery...!!! Taking down Modern Armor to 1 or 2 HPs and finishing the job with my Modern Armor....

Couple of Questions:
    -----------------------------
    1. How do you take out Radar Towers?
    2. If I use nukes against Russia (last resort) will the other Civ who are aligned with me - get mad at me?

Thanks in advance...

15. ybbor

ybbor Will not change his avata

1) first get rid of all units (when using bombers, if using artillary get them down to 1) get rid of all other teerrain improvements, and then bombard the square, or move a unit onto the square (it takes another move [for lack of a better word] for it to br shown as dissapeered, you'll get it once you see it

2)oh yeah!!!!!!!!! yes, again yes, with a side of yes, and with the mandatory yes, without the possibility of no, longterm anyway, temporaraly it may slightly help, read the war acadamy article for more explinatiion