Game reusing old civs for new games

Sr_Rainbow

Chieftain
Has any one else noticed that the game seems to always try to give you the same civ to play with over and over again? After generating a few maps with 'random civs' I see that I always get the Celts(I know this because a pantheon always gets founded at around turn 5). Is this some kind of bug, or what? And does anybody know of a way to fix this?

It could be because of religious city states, if you play on quick, first one to a relgious CS actually gets a pantheon.

On standard it's 2 religious CS's. If you play on a high difficulty, it could be a religious CS + a really fast shrine chuck.

Or you might have manually selected the Celts in an earlier game (through the Advanced Setup screen) and that setting has been preserved.

Or you might have manually selected the Celts in an earlier game (through the Advanced Setup screen) and that setting has been preserved.

^^Either that is happening or sometimes that does happen where the game automatically chooses the same civilization again. I once got Shaka twice in 2 randoms.

Early pantheon from a civ you have yet to meet does not always mean it's the Celts.

If you have Ancient Ruins on, any Civ could get lucky and get enough faith through them.

Religious CS give an early gift of faith.

On Difficulties above King, all AI begin with Pottery (which lets them build shrines before you can even research them).

Ethiopia can get an early Pantheon since their Monument replacement (Stele) generates Faith.

I've also gotten Mongolia and Japan many times before, and they always seem to end up hating each other through out the whole game.

Everything which is not forbidden is compulsory!

(a/b)^n

It happens sometimes. I had a long, long string of games with Shaka as a neighbor.

Ethiopia, Iroquois and a few others are memorable to me simply because they're a constant pain. Any game which has Morocco in it, I can pretty much forget about him. Same as Brazil, and half the time Venice spawns I only know about it when I see a puppet city named Venice in another empire.

The most common civ I see in my games is "unknown civilization" -- as in, "An unknown civilization has lost their capital." That guy appears in nearly every game I play.

Early pantheon from a civ you have yet to meet does not always mean it's the Celts.
Not always, no, but on turn 5 as the OP mentioned, it's practically guaranteed to be the Celts. The only other possibility is a civ starting incredibly close to 2 faith city-states.

I have similar doubts regarding the RNG of this game. 40+ civs from which to choose, yet Random chooses from a pool of about 4 for me.

There is a mod in the Steam Workshop, called Really Advanced Setup, that allows you to ban one or more civs.

As with any mod, no achievements, of course.

I've noticed a distinct lack of randomness in some of the random selections too. Not only that, but, as found by experimenting with continually pressing the restart button, it seems there are only a small number of places on a map where it will start you.

There is a mod in the Steam Workshop, called Really Advanced Setup, that allows you to ban one or more civs.

I'm playing the Play Europe mod and I just got the 'all roads lead to Rome' achievement?

Several achievements are possible with mods, just not victory based ones (win the game as a civ, win the game on a difficulty, win the game on a specific map, etc.). Can still get Civ specific achievements like building a road with a Legion or the global ones like chopping down 1000 forest.

Top Bottom