Game Seeds

Yosemite

Yer Brain on Sean Connery
Quick question: What is the game's seed? When you're setting up a game, I see the spot to enter it, and there's the "preserve random seed" option. I always assumed it was sort of your rank in the group of players from the beginning, because I've heard it used in sports terms (if you're the fifth seed at the beginning of a wrestling meet, it means you are projected to come in fifth place).

But I've seen it used here in ways that make it sound like it affects the map and terrain, etc. Can someone explain this please?

Thanks for any insight.

World seed is the number assign to a map when it is generated. The idea was if you like a map you could give the number to some and they could gen the same map. It does not work out exactly though.

Preserve seed is for the random number generator. The game came out with no means to disable that and the cheaters got mad, so they allowed them to turn it off.

The "seed" in this game always refers to a number that is passed to the Random Number Generator. The "World Seed" is used to generate the map. If you enter the same seed, and all other conditions (World Size, specific civs, etc.) are the same, you should get the same map generated.

"Preserve Random Seed" means to keep the current RNG seed in games that you save. This is to prevent "reloaders" from replaying battles until they get the results they want.

Top Bottom