1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Settings and Leader Choice

Discussion in 'Team CDZ' started by DaveMcW, Mar 28, 2010.

1. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

The settings for the game are:

Map: Custom Mystery Map
    Map Size: Standard
    Huts: Off
    Events: Off
    Vassal States: Off
    Barbarians: Normal
    Tech Trading: Normal
    Difficulty Level: Monarch
    Game Speed: Normal
    Turns: Simultaneous
    Duplicate Leaders: Yes
    Restricted Leaders: Yes

With these settings in place, your team should now be able to finalize your choice of leader. Teams are allowed to use the same leader. If you really want a unique leader, you can submit a list of alternate leaders to be used if someone else gets your top pick.

I also need a game password for your team.

The deadline for picking your leader(s) will be Thursday, April 1.

2. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

So I'm going to submit Ragnar for this one then, i feel that it'll offer us a happy medium depending on the map (Which we don't know what it is)

3. akots

akots Poet

Not sure, Ragnar and any financial leader will not be very good on map without water. Unique building will be useless. Aggressive trait is also useless later on if there is enough room for expansion.

There should be enough room since the map size is standard. Probably, ancient era will go without major wars.

I'd still try to pick somebody creative/organized/expansive/imperialistic.

If we pick an aggressive leader, we would have to rush some neighbor.

I'd go with either Roman leader. They are both quite nice.

Keep in mind that early development and empire maintenance is the key especially considering Monarch difficulty. Organized trait will be extremely valuable.

4. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

I'm unsure why you're discounting the financial trait, even without water it is the most powerful trait in the game. Perhaps i have read the post wrong.

I was thinking the Aggressive trait as everyone else had been saying how they wanted to be aggressive and rush folk etc.

5. socralynnek

socralynnek Civ & Hattrick addict

Personally, I'd agree to Vikings.

I think, we should play to win, and that includes some gambles. We gamble for a map taht includes enough water to make Ragnar look good.

And amphibious attacks in pitboss are a great way of waging war IMO.

But I could live with Rome either.

6. Robi D

Robi D Minister of (Dis)Order

For all there talk of aggression there voting for the game settings suggest otherwise, 6 civs on a standard map leaves plenty of room for everyone and voting for tech trading being on means its more important to make a friend to trade with, not an enemy. I think financial is good on any map but i also agree with akots on the organised trait. To have both means picking Darius, where the problem is the UU comes early, unless our plan is to hit someone early in which case its the perfect unit to do so

7. akots

akots Poet

Darius is fine as well IMO. Immortals are very good and they have defensive bonus which is always handy.

I'm not against Ragnar in general. There may be some water there. Or not.

The main advantage of financial trait is working coastal tiles which essentially eliminates the need for early cottages. Thus, less workers are needed and growth is not impaired. So, one can slave as usual without worrying for idling cottages. Later on, this one extra gold piece is not very important giving only 15% on fully grown cottages. And this much is easily gained with organized leader in a sizable empire. I hope we are not going to build banks. I also hope we are not going to play with 3 cities. But I'm not a builder type.

Aggressive will be useless eventually as well. Vassalage and/or Theocracy give the same bonus and it is not spread to mounted units. Catapults also negate the trait essentially. I'm not talking about more advanced troops.

On a map with expansion room speed of expansion will be the key. Grab as much land as you can and build as many cities as possible. Or course, peaceful means are always preferable.

8. Robi D

So we have Ragnar and Darius put forward as choices, we need to get some more opinios in as we have to make a decision by thrusday

9. akots

akots Poet

Augustus or Julius might be considered as well. Personally, I have no preference between these four guys.

10. Robi D

While i don't mind the Roman leaders, i don't think the preats are as useful in MP games simply because humans are well aware of them and axes are significantly cheaper to build and they are available sooner.

IMO i would choose either Ragnar or Darius but which one i'd go for depends on our strategy. If we are planning to attack someone early the Immortals are perfect and with the organised trait we can keep most of the cities we capture and start developing them without being crushed by maintainance costs. If we are content to steadly and peacefully expand then Ragnar would be my choice

11. Shabbaman

Shabbaman rebuffing the rebels

BCLG loves to beat people up with praetorians, the really cool guys at that other site probably know that as well ;) Personally I like the financial trait best. Other than that, I have no opinion.

12. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

I can't remember using praets before but maybe i do?!

The only drawback with darius is the ultimately sucky Uu (as in all likelihood we wont be in a position to use it) but after using him in the latest GOTM the traits combine very well so i would be happy with either.

It simply depends what game we're going to play- i would say Ragnar would suit slightly more aggressive (@robi before i was talking about CDZ not everyone else :)) and Darius slightly less. I agree with robi with regards to the praets.

So in all i would be quite happy with either Ragnar or Darius and less so the Roman leaders.

13. socralynnek

socralynnek Civ & Hattrick addict

I could live with all 4. Personal favorite still Ragnar, for the reasons stated above.

14. Robi D

Well based on the discussions that have taken place so far Ragnar is the most preferred choice.

So unless anyone voices some objections in the next 24hrs Ragnar is who we are picking to play with

15. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Ragnar's a good choice, definately, but without some seas he becomes less powerful. But on any map, in an MP game, a combination of agressive and financial is quite good. I'd vote for Ragnar and then just hope that the mapmaker doesn't mess up our chances of getting an early city (capital, 2nd or 3rd city) on the coast...

16. akots

akots Poet

Probably, UU of Persia is a bit too early for this type of map. Berserks are quite OK if there would be wars. I'd still like to have organized bonus for courthouses and lower maintenance.

There is no optimal choice however. So, it can be Ragnar. At least we might be able to rule the seas if there are any.

We can argue about usability of Praetorians for a long time. The main point is that they guarantee security from early attacks prior to macemen. It is a peace-enforcing unit. It is really not that good in waging wars on enemy territory especially against aggressive neighbors. But couple with catapults, Preats guarantee victory against any single opponent. That might be a bit too early for this map however. First wars apart from early rushes will probably start after macemen or with gunpowder. Since tech trading is apparently on, tech pace will be extremely fast and pace of settling and developing will be extremely slow compared to that. So, anything which gives bonus on building improvements should be helpful. I was even thinking about Mehmed or my current Ethiopian leader which has bonuses for almost every building in the game. UU and UB though suck for both.

17. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

So, any suggestions for a team password?

18. Robi D

wewillspamu

19. Robi D

On a seperate topic (for the team) should we fill in our details as well?
    My proposal
    Civ Description: CDZland Kleptocracy
    Short Description: CDZland
    Civ Adjective: CDZers

And on a slightly more serious note should we setup a team email for diplomacy with other team and who is willing to play the turns for now?

20. akots

akots Poet

Anything is OK as long as the capital is Orenburg. :lol: