1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Settings Discussion

Discussion in 'Team Mad Scientists' started by Sullla, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Sullla

Sullla Patrician Roman Dictator

Hello, and greetings to Team 5! I've been asked to create the map for the Demogame, and before I get started I need to hear a consensus from each of the teams on some of the game settings. I would like you guys to discuss the following options, and come up with a team answer to the following six settings:

- Huts: On/Off
    - Events: On/Off
    - Vassal States: On/Off
    - Barbarians: None, Normal, or Raging
    - Tech Trading: Normal, No Tech Trading, No Tech Brokering
    - Difficulty Level: Low (Noble/Prince), Medium (Monarch/Emperor), High (Immortal/Deity)

Be aware that difficulty level affects three main issues with no AIs in the game: research costs, inflation/maintenance, and barbarian strength. It might sound cool to be playing on Deity, but... the game balance frankly is not as good at the highest setting, and the game just generally runs better at the more moderate settings. And while I don't want to prejudice the voting, I would strongly recommend turning off Vassal States, which add little to the gameplay while opening up a number of gamey exploits. Of course, this is YOUR team, and you can tell me to screw off if you like. :D

I'm asking each team to come to a decision on these six settings by Wednesday, November 19th of next week. You can decide in any fashion your team chooses - how to go about doing so is up to you! Once all five teams have voted, I'll tally them up and see which options won. Each team as a whole has one vote, and 3/5 majority wins. For non-binary options like difficulty setting, I'll pick whatever setting is closest to the group vote (e.g. if there are three "Medium" and two "High" votes, I will choose Emperor as the difficulty level). Assume that any setting not listed here will be turned off for the game. Thus you won't see "No City Razing" or "Always War/Peace" or anything like that.

Good luck and happy voting! :king:

2. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

My Votes:
    Huts on
    Events off
    VS off
    No Barbs
    Tech Trading normal
    low difficulty

3. Hummel

Hummel Warlord

Huts - on
    Events - off
    VS - off
    Barbs - normal
    Tech Trading - No Tech Brokering
    difficulty - medium

4. JoeyDawt

JoeyDawt Chieftain

Huts- on
    events- off
    VS- off
    Barbs-normal
    Tech trading normal
    difficulty - low

5. Unionfield

Unionfield Warlord

- Huts: On
    - Events: On
    - Vassal States: Off
    - Barbarians: Normal
    - Tech Trading: No Tech Trading
    - Difficulty Level: Low

6. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

One thing to consider with Tech Trading:
    If there's no tech trading allowed, then the only thing that teams can realistically trade is resources. This also means that two teams can't coordinate research and therefore research faster than other teams who aren't coordinating.

No tech trading favors a militaristic approach to the world, allowing trading helps both civs advance faster.

7. Unionfield

Unionfield Warlord

Don't worry... if this goes like leader trait voting, no one will listen to me. :goodjob:

8. Domino369

Domino369 Warlord

- Huts: On
    - Events: On
    - Vassal States: On
    - Barbarians: None, Normal, or Raging
    - Tech Trading: Normal
    - Difficulty Level: Raging if we're playing Prince or less, Normal if we're playing Monarch, None if we're playing anything higher. (maybe normal if Emperor, but I have never tried this as the one time I did play Emperor, it was with Raging with the Rise of Mankind Mod and I got racked by the Civs who were once barbarians popping up city-squares near me ><)

9. James009

James009 Warlord

• Huts: On
    • Events: On
    • Vassal States: -
    • Barbarians: Normal
    • Tech Trading: Normal
    • Difficulty Level: Low (Prince) or Medium (Monarch/Emperor)

I'm looking forward to a fun game :)

10. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

• Huts: On
    • Events: On
    • Vassal States: On with rules restrictions, or off to keep rules simple
    • Barbarians: Normal
    • Tech Trading: Normal
    • Difficulty Level: Low
    For many of these settings, the setting dictates a strategy.

Huts on makes it more important to start with a scout and gives some chance of an early gold reserve, off devalues scouts and means it will be unlikely to have cash.

If huts are off, then events can be really damaging. No cash means you usually have to take the worst option on an event.

The barb setting gets really interesting when on an island. No barbs means you can skip military early and grow quickly. But there's the uncertainty of knowing if you're really on an island.

I would expect that tech trading off leads to financial civs getting runaway tech leads. I figure that means early war to slow the tech leader down. To be honest I'm not quite sure what strategy to use with tech trading on but brokering off.

11. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Prince

Huts - on
    Events - on
    VS - on
    Barbs - off
    Tech trading - normal
    Difficulty - medium (Monarch)

12. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Prince

Code:
            PG        H        JD        UF        D        J        DS        TB
    Huts    on        on       on        on        on       on       on        on
    Events  off       off      off       on        on       on       on        on
    Vassal  off       off      off       off       on       -        -         on
    Barb    none      normal   normal    normal    linked   normal   normal    off
    Tech    normal    no brok  normal    no trad   normal   normal   normal    normal
    Diff    low       medium   low       low       -        low/med  low       medium

13. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Prince

Our votes so far:
    - Huts: On (8 votes)
    - Events: On (5 votes)
    - Vassal States: Off (4 votes)
    - Barbarians: Normal (5 votes)
    - Tech Trading: Normal (6 votes)
    - Difficulty Level: Low (4 1/2 votes)

14. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Thanks for the tally!

15. cujo376

cujo376 Chieftain

Huts - on
    Events - off
    VS - on
    Barbs - on
    Tech trading - normal
    Difficulty - Prince or Monarch

16. Sullla

Sullla Patrician Roman Dictator

Thank you indeed, TinkerBell! :goodjob: With two days remaining, your team is definitely leaning towards the following options:

Huts: On
    Events: On, but still very much contested (5/4) I would encourage you to discuss this further, and come to a clear consensus by Wednesday.
    Vassal States: Off, also very close (4/3)
    Barbarians: Normal
    Tech Trading: Normal
    Difficulty: The consensus seems to be right on the Low/Medium edge, or a vote for Prince/Monarch difficulty. I will probably mark your team down as a Low/Medium vote, if that's alright.

Just sending a reminder that the deadline is coming up. Good luck with your discussion! :)

17. Unionfield

Unionfield Warlord

I voted to keep Events on, so here's my argument:

Part of the fun of these games is dealing with the unexpected. If we all sit around saying "let's shoot for this victory, or this victory," it'll get boring quickly. Either we'll be on a clear path to victory, or meander to defeat or whatever. I recognize that most events involve inherent disadvantages to the player -- lose a farm here, subtract 30 gold here -- but every player will get them, and thus there is a balance in that.

But we shouldn't have total control over our destiny, because reality has never been like that. Let's do events, throw some caution to the wind and make the game just a bit more exciting.

18. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I completely agree with Unionfield. One of the reasons I prefer MP to SP games is the sheer unpredictability. You never know what a human is going to do, whereas the AI is more or less predictable. The way a team handles the unexpected is the real sign skill.

As for Vassal States, I'm pretty unfamiliar with them - so I'm relying on one of the stronger arguments from the UN thread: With Vassal States ON, there are exploits that would have to be guarded against, and many of the effects can be achieved through in-game treaties. In other words, Vassal States ON creates more problems than it solves.

Events ON* This means I'm changing my vote ;)
    Vassal States OFF

19. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Prince

I like the event cause it gives some unexpectedness to the game. Having a small giggle when an enemy loses a mine or so.

And for vessals, just have them loose. I'd prefer losing above becoming a vessel!

20. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

Huts - on
    Events - off
    VS - on
    Barbs - Normal
    Tech trading - normal
    Difficulty - medium (Monarch)