1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game settings tips, please

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by CharlieM, Jun 30, 2012.

1. CharlieM

CharlieM Creative, Spiritual

I am struggling to win on King. I like quick game speed, and tend to pick continents maps, using a variety of civs. I have been using large size maps lately.

I would like to win on King.

Is it considered easier to win on a longer game speed? Or on quick?

And what about maps types? I suppose it depends on your civ and its strengths, but are there maps that are generally easier to play in general?

Finally, what about map size? I am thinking it is easier to win domination on a smaller map, maybe easier to stay peaceful and win on a larger map?

2. Charlie_B

Charlie_B Warlord

On slower speeds it's a lot easier to make a tech advantage count. If you race to a key military tech you can mass the unit and it will be a long time before they're obsolete.

It's difficult to say what map ypes are the best aside from the obvious civ synergies (such as Polynesia on archipelago). Generally you're going to meet everyone a lot quicker on pangea and thereofre are more likely to be DOWed early. On the other hand, if you play continents and get unlucky there will be one guy on a rival continent who dominates it early and builds up an almost unassailable lead befure you've had a change to meet him. On balance, continents are probably easier.

Larger maps mean more people to annoy. In my expeirence they don't necessarily lead to more peaceful games. They certainly do lead to more RA opportunities, and that makes them a lot easier.

If you're still starting out on King I'd suggest either using a civ/map synergy (eg Mongolia and plains, Inca and hills, England and sea) or one of the stronger all-around civs (Such as Egypt or Babylon).

3. Andulias

Andulias A Stranger on a Train

While say, wasting a worker turn on an Epic speed has a bigger impact on your game, generally speaking slower game speed does make the game a lot easier, especially if you are taking the war route. The slower production speed means the AI will not be able to bring in reinforcements as often, and since they waste their units most of the time, it makes the game much easier.
    I think it would be fair to say that Pangea maps are the easiest. Most of the time you won't need to bother with building up a navy, which means one thing less to worry about, and you don't have to transport any troops over a whole ocean to assault anotehr civ.
    Yes, a domination victory is of course harder on a bigger map. Staying peaceful? Well, it depends on how many civs there are in the game, if you have 4 civs on a huge map there won't be as many wars as when you are up against 20.