1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game speed - I want to enjoy every era!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Dutch Dave, May 26, 2016.

1. Dutch Dave

Dutch Dave Chieftain

As most of you guys/girls I’m excited about Civ VI, so excited that today I registered to this forum. ;) The updates on Civ VI we’ve heard so far sound really great.

The thing I’m still curious about is the game speed of Civ VI.
    I only play Civ at marathon speed, mainly because I almost ALWAYS feel that the first era’s go by too fast. I really want to immerse myself in every era of the game before I’m on to the next one. I fully want to enjoy warriors and archers, knights and catapults, musketeers and canons, galleons and privateers, riflemen and triplanes. I don’t want to go from playing with knights to playing with tanks because of a too fast progressing tech tree.

The downside to a slow game is of course that sometimes there’ll be a lot of turns you have to wait in order for something to happen (f.e. new techs to unlock to build new buildings or units). There’s a balance there, which seems to be best in CiV if i played a marathon game at Immortal (or higher) level with a quick unit production mod.

It seems to be an intricate balance to get right, I’m curious about how it will turn out in Civ VI. What do you guys think?

2. EthelredFTL

EthelredFTL Warlord

I'm with you on the speed preference - everything less than Epic seems "slippery" and I prefer marathon because it feels more "tactile".

This though is not something I'm worried about though maybe I shouldn't take anything for granted. I would hate to see the loss of my deviant speed preference.

3. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Well, there seem to be quite a lot of bonuses from exploration/military actions, so I'd assume there'll be enough to do in the early game on Marathon. Midgame will probably be dominated by war, at least I hope it will. :p And with the number of Cities no longer being hardcapped by Global Happiness conquering will probably be a lot more viable. And hopefully also a lot more fun, with Plundering of City Districts, etc.

I hope they added more stuff to do in the later stages for all game speeds, so it's not just "Hit Enter, wait, repeat" anymore.

Passive games will probably still be boring as hell on Marathon, at least I haven't seen anything that would indicate otherwise.

4. Hajee

Hajee Prince

Mods to fix that.

I am the same way, I like to spend hours in each era. I made a mod for civ 5 that not only triples the research time, but requires you to research every tech in that era to unlock a end Era tech before you can go into the next era, which takes 100's of turns to complete so you can enjoy your time in each era.

5. Schwarzauge

Schwarzauge Chieftain

Game Speed hu?
    I once played @ Marathon, but still then decided that its too fast to enjoy every Era at full.
    So I managed the tech tree not to be at 300% research time ( Marathon standard I guess ) but at 900 %.
    A few tweaks later ( building, culture and faith ) I got my perfect speed.

Nearly 150 to 200 rounds for the first Era.

And this is what I call immersion in Civilization. :)

6. Aquila SPQR

Aquila SPQR Prince

Same here, I'm always playing on my modded marathon speed - slowed research times even more. But fortunately Civ games' speeds are easy to mod.

7. Nixalo

Nixalo Warlord

I wish for a long era option in vanilla. Favorite part of the games is the early part until right after you get siege weapons.

8. Ryuu Falconwing

Ryuu Falconwing Chieftain

I'd personally be very happy with the Historical Eras mod being made an optional speed in 6. But I suppose the game is hard to balance around that.

9. Grayson Carlyle

Grayson Carlyle Chieftain

I did a similar thing, though ran into science overflow problems in the atomic era (or earlier sometimes!) when the AI owned 30+ cities and the science cost per tech went to a negative number, causing the game to be unfun when they instantly hit full tech. Hopefully no more 32-bit ints for these values in Civ6!

If a game ends before turn 1500, it's too short for me.

10. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

I always play on Marathon as well.
    Would like to mod the the extra time into my games but am playing Vox Populi currently so...

My wishlist for CivIV was to have each era end before the next era starts. Essentially making it 5 or 6 separate games where there is a winner for each game and the combined best player for all of the eras wins the game in the end.

This would allow a person just to play in one era and finish with a declared winner.
    Would also allow for differing strategies each era, early wars could result in the loss of a Civ, mid wars would be all about taking land, late wars would be about winning over hearts and minds of the people.

I hope they keep all of the current speeds in the game. Would love to see an adjustable Options Menu for speed so no modding would be required.

11. Battlehelm043

Battlehelm043 Warlord

Agreed I dislike being forced to use epic on most of my games, but lately it is the only way to play through an era like the classical one. (I love my Legions lol!!!) I am worried with the 50% tech boosts from districts and other impacts on science, mainly because the fast your tech up the quicker an era slips by. This is something I hope they do address because it would be a waste not too.

12. Battlehelm043

Battlehelm043 Warlord

Welcome to the forums btw! :goodjob:

13. DioAurion

DioAurion Warlord

If there are indeed fewer techs this time around, I imagine you will somewhat be getting your wish.

14. Erudain

Erudain Chieftain

Man, probably too late for the idea, but I'd totally love to have one scenario or game mode where techs/units/buildings are locked behind the timeline....nothing kills immersion for me as being able to beeline techs and be deploying submarines and howitzers by the 1400s or building solar plants in the 1600s...

Would love one scenario with say "no planes before 1900", "no guns before 1300s" "no red cross wonder before 1850s" etc

15. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

That would be pretty silly imho, as it would punish playing well. Civ is not a history simulator and the year is certainly not to be taken literally.

16. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I hope there will be a speed that is slower than Epic but faster than Marathon. (Civ V speed)

In Civ IV I wanted a speed that was faster than Marathon, but IMO Firaxis went overboard with Marathon speed in Civ V.

17. Chandler

Chandler Warlord

I'd be thankful if they just adapted the game so that EVERYTHING increased over time. It sucks to play as Spain on Marathon, because their UA (which in Standard speed grants you a settler if you find a natural wonder near you) gives you the same amount of money in every speed mode. The same goes for Mausoleum at Halicarnassus.

18. ZTZaorish

ZTZaorish Warlord

It's true that eras go by kind of quick. Unfortunately though, you risk running into quite a few issues if you extend them out too much.
    1. You may see even less of the eras than you did in Civ V. (Especially in MP, i almost never see the industrial era before somebody has won)
    Obviously conquering can made more difficult, but you see my point.
    2. The games may last very very long. Unless turn timers are shorter, in which case i guess the eras will still feel short in terms of time spent in them.

Either way, settings and or mods will help with this. Especially if these mods work in MP. *fingers crossed*

19. Raw is War?

Raw is War? Soul Reaper

I always play Epic. The only thing I don't like about Marathon is the fact it takes so much longer to build anything, which to me kinda defeats the point of having the longer eras. I hope Civ VI has a game speed that ONLY increase tech research (with the exception of builders maybe).

20. Jewman

Jewman Prince

I would love for the Huns or some other "barbarian" type civ that is eventually introduced that have the UA that they can make a civ lose a technology when they take their city (capped at like maybe 5). This would reflect the fall of Rome and would be like the opposite of how the Assyrians are right now.