Game Speed Imbalance

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Periander, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Periander

Periander Chieftain

I'm relatively new to these forums, and even though I searched, couldn't find a thread about this subject, so if there already is one, apologies.

I wanted to discuss the differences between a Quick game and a Marathon game. From a general point of view, I find it very difficult to win a Monarch game on the fastest speed, whereas, I have no problem beating Monarch on Marathon.

A large part of it comes down to unit movement, perhaps they could implement double movement in the quicker games to counter-act this.

2. opensilo

opensilo Warlord

I've played around with game speed too, and found the same thing you did: the slower (epic/marathon) speeds are easier. And you're right, since the unit movement remains the same as measured in turns, not in game-years, the slower speeds play to the advantage of the human player who will generally be better at waging war than the AI.

I've come to the--not unique, others have come to it too--conclusion that the game speed is roughly balanced by map size. So, a normal speed/standard size game compares to a quick/small game and an epic/large game. This assumes that you use the default number of civs for the map size (e.g. 5 on small, 7 on normal, etc.) They aren't quite the same game, of course, since issues like tech trading and religious coalitions depend on the number of civs in the game. But, in terms of waging war, they're similar.

3. atreas

atreas King

I agree with the observation about the relation between speed and map size. To put it generally, the more turns there are inbetween (slower game) the easier is for the human to exploit the AI defects in wars. That makes the game easier, especially when you have a "close by" opponent to throw your army on.

But there are other aspects that are really much harder in slower speeds, especially in harder levels. There was another thread on this subject already, but to sum up the main problems (especially in Marathon) are the early research (you are in danger of being left without anything useful to do), the extreme value of village huts and luck elements (that is less strategy), and most importantly the many times bigger difficulty put by the Barbarians (for the reason that unit creation is slower, but barbarians continue to appear in the same rate).

4. ytsejam02

ytsejam02 Chieftain

I agree. I have the same beef with the quick game. My units still move the same number of spaces. So if I play an epic game, a worker moves 1 space in, say 10 years around 1500BC, but in a quick game, my worker moves 1 space in 20 years. How does that make sense? By the time I move units from one side of the screen to the other, the game will be over! This should be addressed in a patch.

I believe cultural buildings have more of an effect in a quick game, so why not allow units to move an extra space?

5. opensilo

opensilo Warlord

Atreas makes good points about the difficulties of marathon speed. Overall, though. I think playing quick is like increasing the difficulty at least half a notch. In addition to the movement "penalty", you can research worker techs faster than your workers can implement them. This benefits the AI immensely on higher levels, since it starts with a worker (on emperor). The faster barbs on marathon can be countered by prioritizing early fog busters or turning them off completely (though I don't like this "ultimate solution"). And the huts truly do increase the gamble nature, and so might tend to favor early scouts (faster to huts, no barb pops).

6. bluedevil99

bluedevil99 Warlord

Epic and marathon are much easier if you're warmongering. I think Cultural victories are easier on faster speeds, though, since as long as your big 3 cities are interior and you've built up a decent defense and saved a few great artists, it's much harder for the AI to stop you with a late rush. (My first prince win was actually cultural on arcipalego at quick speed.)