Game Speed

uncle dan

Chieftain
I have ST Mod 3.25 installed and I find that the wait between turns gets to be pretty extreme. I know I'm not alone in that observation. Are there any solutions, tweaks, or optimizations people use?

There are, unfortunately, no easy solutions to this problem. At least, for non-modders, anyway.

There are ways of making the mod faster. I've implemented most of them in my mod Final Frontier Plus, but that's not for Star Trek, it's for Final Frontier. And while deanej wants to merge that with Star Trek, those methods require you to compile a new DLL, and I'm guessing you don't want to do that.

There are a few things that could be done more easily in Python only, without any recompilation, but they probably don't amount to much.

I can give you technical details about why the mod is slow, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

I thought 3.0 was going to incorporate your improvements; as it is it is currently faster han 2.0 was on my machine: currently at turn 150 on standard map size and dense systems I am clocking 8 seconds between turns and in 2.xx it was doing 30-40 seconds. Will 4.0 have these further improvements that will make it even faster?

One last question: well this mod make any system slow, or just 'older' ones? I'm going to upgrade soon (for completely seperate reasons, but hey, gaming faster is fun, too :D) and I don't want to get too excited if the game will just use more resources without going faster.

Anyhow I really like this mod and appreciate all the hard work that went into make it/making it totally awesome. Thank you.

It'll still be slow, but not as slow as on an older system.

3.0 includes some of it's own optimizations, though many of those are similar to stuff in Final Frontier Plus. 4.0 will merge in Final Frontier Plus - I'm waiting for the release of the mod platform version before doing it, though, so right now Star Trek development is mostly on hiatus. This is a good time to do conceptual work for my next mod, but I can't start coding there until FFH .41o is released! So right now I'm actually playing civ for a change until this stuff gets released.

You deserve the break.

So with 4.0 can we expect a similar increase in performance like going to 3.0?

I look forward to your works after you release 4.x

I'm playing my first Star Trek mod game using 3.25 patch. It's fun, but boy oh boy is it a long time between turns. I'm on turn 85 on a huge map with 7 other civilization. When I finish moving my units, it probably takes 1-2 mins for the "waiting for other civilizations" to finish and then my next turn begin. My computer is very current, and my other games of Civ 4 take nowhere near this long. Don't know exactly what to do, but I may have to wait for an update before I continue to play this mod.

First: my two year old gaming laptop is faster than that, so make sure you shutdown everything you don't need, and turning off hostile aliens helps too.

Second: 4.0 beta is lightning fast in comparison.

To clarify, my computer is faster with the changes suggested. Really 4.0 is much faster and I strongly suggest that.

Yes, 4.0 is MUCH faster than any prior version. It's just a beta, but the current version seems to be pretty bug-free. The scenarios aren't updated yet, but it's good for the epic game; you do need to do a fix mentioned at the end of the 4.0 and the Future thread to fix a load/save issue (though it does make it slower it should still be MUCH faster than prior versions).

Top Bottom