1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Speed

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Jamolisim, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Jamolisim

Jamolisim Chieftain

Hi all- new here but love the site and forums. I am a big Civ fan and am liking Civ 6 but it seems like even on huge maps the world is somewhat smaller than Civ 5 and Civ 4...oh well. Anyway, I usually play on "Standard" speed and am wondering what everyone here plays on. For the record, I play on King level as I still have so much to learn but believe that level gives me a challenge. How would a slower/faster game speed affect play? I'm thinking of going to slower so the games last longer- would that make sense?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  2. Mambo668

Mambo668 Chieftain

U should try to play inland see map. There is plenty of room there to expand often 8-10 cities on standard size map.
    Big see in the middle (a lot of see resources) is very cool too for the strategic reasons and faster transport to kill anoying AI's on the far other side.
    Many cities = faster tech pace so U should play epic or marathon on this kind of map.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I play Marathon. My last game, which was my first game, lasted 1000 turns and took me about 30 hours. Build, tech, civic, Great Person, and pantheon times are all much longer than standard, but units move at the same speed.

4. kampori

kampori Warlord

I pretty much only play on Emperor at standard, purely on Huge maps. King if I feel like an easy game of Sims-Civ. I've never tried any speed slower. On CiV I think I only ever played on quick.

I finally finished my last achievement-grabbing for each map type and speed, so can now relax into my standard games of standard/huge/continents.
    I absolutely cannot wait until the Earth map becomes available. I pretty much only ever played on Earth in CiV

5. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Mostly Standard, but I have to say the new Multiplayer Speed is pretty cool, too. Can be quite some fun to breeze through a game in an hour or so.

6. Lord_Azazel

Lord_Azazel Prime Swatter

I've always found the standard speed to be too fast, you don't get to use you units while they're new sorta. I've only finished one, that was marathon, got boring the last couple of days I played it. So now I'm playing on epic speed, but I've reached the industrial era på 1190AD. Science goes way too fast in this game.

7. Ozisl

Ozisl Warlord

I've always preferred marathon. Can't wait for the mods that extend earlier eras.

8. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

For a standard map size, I prefer standard map speed; but if playing anything larger than standard map, I prefer Epic. (On bigger maps, movement takes too long relative to unit production otherwise.)

As to how it effects play, Quill18 stated that Immortal on standard speed felt harder to him than Deity on epic speed.

9. zagosya

zagosya Chieftain

I tried standard speed couple of times and got bored with long building times - 20ish turns for district is too much for me. Also, my computer is kinda old so I cannot play large maps because of turn transition times (during last 50 turns of my first deity science game on large/standard I even decided to read a book between turns).
    So now I play quick speed only, small and standard maps, immortal/deity

10. Iron Angel

Iron Angel Classified

I am of the same opinion as you. I kinda like the early era, with the horsemen, archers and such roaming around. I feel that on standard speed and faster, you don't really get to play the unit before an upgrade to it is ready.
    Never play standard, as the eras goes by to fast. Tried some Marathon, but I have noticed that the AI does not respect the 200% slower rule, at all. I focused on getting the 75 Faith to found my Pantheon from the first turn, but the AI already founded their Pantheons while I was still at just below 40 Faith. I mean, I like being in every era for a longer time, but it is no fun when the opponents aren't abiding to the rules that are set.

Now I have just settled on doing Epic speed. Is it a bug that the AI does not follow the set speed rules, or is it just how it is supposed to be?
    They should either put in more science, or split up some of them to make more and keep us in the eras for a bit longer.

11. phoinix

phoinix Warlord

Agreed. I play Epic speed just to make eras last a little longer. I m currently playing an emperor game on standard speed as Germany. I decided to focus on commerce and production and not make any campuses so that I tech slower. It helps to a degree but the AIs are 1-2 eras ahead of me (even though they mostly use heavy chariots for war). I think they should increase the tech costs as early important techs that unlock many things go by relatively fast.

12. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

I tried a standard speed game and it felt far to fast so I'm trying an epic speed game and it still feels to fast. Its basically the eurekas as without really trying tech just fly's past. If they were a real effort to get and rewarded doing something a bit different then I think the 50% boost would be ok. As it is its to much and is impacting the feel of the games progress.

Maybe I'll play a marathon game but I never liked that speed so I don't expect I will here either.