1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game stalls after conquering a city

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by makotech222, Apr 6, 2013.

1. makotech222

makotech222 Chieftain

The game i'm on now, save attached, i'm attacking a greek city named something starting with an H. As soon as i move my troops onto the city and conquer it, the game sorta just stops. Usually when you conquer a city, the popup comes up regarding what you want to do with the city, like conquer or raze, but it doesn't come. Pretty much all buttons stop working and i have to alt+f4 out of the game.

I have a few modules disabled, and some cheat traits enabled for my civ. Otherwise, im working off yesterdays svn.

Also checked the logs and nothing really strange at all. This was the only thing slightly relevant in Pythondbg.txt:

PY:player 3 Civilization Greek Empire Unit Axeman was killed by Player 5
    PY:player 3 Civilization Greek Empire Unit Wardogs was killed by Player 5
    PY:player 3 Civilization Greek Empire Unit Light Swordsman was killed by Player 5
    PY:player 3 Civilization Greek Empire Unit Elephant Worker was killed by Player 5
    PY:player 5 Civilization Chinese Empire Unit Trained Dogs was killed by Player 3
    PY:player 3 Civilization Greek Empire Unit Ballista was killed by Player 5
    PY:persepolis has grown
    PY:pasargadae has grown
    PY: Revolt - National wonder National Courier System build in Susa
    PY:Ghulaman has grown
    19 SCREEN TURNED ON

SCREEN OFF

PY:OnPreSave
    PY:player 3 Civilization Greek Empire Unit Skirmisher was killed by Player 0
    PY:player 3 Civilization Greek Empire Unit Horse Archer was killed by Player 0
    PY:player 3 Civilization Greek Empire Unit Horse Archer was killed by Player 0
    PY:player 3 Civilization Greek Empire Unit Crossbowman was killed by Player 0
    PY:player 3 Civilization Greek Empire Unit Crossbowman was killed by Player 0
    PY:player 3 Civilization Greek Empire Unit Ancient Hand Cannon was killed by Player 0
    PY: Revolt - Loss of Halicarnassus by Greek Empire (1 bConq): 125 rev idx change
    PY:City Acquired Event: Halicarnassus
    PY: Revolt - Acquisition of Halicarnassus by American Empire reduces rev indices by -115
    PY: Revolt - New rev idx for Halicarnassus is 316
    PY:OnUnInit
    UnInit Python

Attached Files:

2. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

Known bug, known for ages actually, pre-RoM:AND days. Click on the anywhere mini map will unlock the problem. I am hoping that some of he work Koshling has been doing in the last few days will fix this problem for good. What he is fixing sounds very similar to this.

3. makotech222

makotech222 Chieftain

Interesting. Ill give it a try, thanks for the help. Im curious to what causes it, tho?

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

The theory I always herd was "Revolution code" even if you don't have that option on.:mischief: It is one of those difficult to diagnose problems since if you saved before attacking it may freeze for you but not anyone else playing from the save.

5. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I am unable to load the save because of the extra traits you added which it depends on (and I don't have), so I am unable to look into this.

6. makotech222

makotech222 Chieftain

Ah, sorry koshling. Wish i could fix it :p

The clicking of the map does indeed fix it. But it seems to be happening a lot more often now, like pretty much anytime i attack any stack, regardless of if its on a city.

7. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Could you post your traitinfos XML?

8. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Do you have the 'stack attack' option turned on?

9. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

Yes it is a problem with the "Stack Attack" option - I have both on so can't tell you which one is causing the problem, I've just had it twice in my game - the one I forgot to save and then tried to use the "go to city" button on a naval unit which caused a CTD.

10. makotech222

makotech222 Chieftain

Yeah i have stack attack on. I suspect it happens a lot when i have artillery in my stack.

11. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Well post that save (or just the minidump if it isn't repeatable) and we can figure out what is causing it (stack attack or the new mission).

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

@DH/ls: I was merging in the goto city code yesterday and noticed that there does appear to be a possible bug in the naval portion (an unusual use of the number 10 was in a suspicious parameter spot...) but I'm not touching anything there. Just sayin'... ya might wanna take a look at that ls.

As for the stack attack: that code is tough to keep updated correctly. Many changes to the combat resolution section have needed to be copied over to that portion and its very possible some bugs may exist from that copying. At some point I'll take a deeper look at it. I haven't put the highest priority on making sure it's all cleanly sorted out since it was already bugged in multiple ways when I first took a look at it. If we're to have any resolution to those, I'd need to know exactly what the bug is and what's triggering it. And some time to get around to it so it may be cause for a new thread here in the bug reports section.

13. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Nah, that code is
    Code:
    if (pCity->isCoastal(10))
    and the param is iMinWaterSize, which is how big of a body of water it needs to be for it to be 'coastal'. I just made it 10 because that is what qualifies as a salt-water city.

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

What if there's just a few, as in the city is in a 'sound' like Seattle would be on a zoomed in map?

15. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Well, a better solution might be to check if the unit can get to the city but when I tried adding that check it was ignored. :( At any rate if the body of water involved is 10 tiles why are you using this feature anyways? :p

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Ah... its the size of the body of water not the size of the amount of water tiles in the city radius then? Ok... well that makes more sense yes.