1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Start

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by sealboy6, Jan 6, 2006.

1. sealboy6

sealboy6 Uggy

This probably has been talked about before, but what is the best way to start a game. I usually let my capital grow to a 3 by building warriors, barracks, or other things, and then when I hit three, I build a worker then a settler. Is there a better way to do this so that your opening is amazing. Thanks for the help.

2. Crimso

Crimso ...aaaaaagh!

Chopping is the preferred method by a lot of us here. Before, using a rough strategy like yours, I would get my second city by 2000 BC, third by 1000 BC. With chopping though, I can double that rate of expansion.

Edit: Here's the best link I could find on chopping in thirty seconds: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=138682

3. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Worker first is usually best, unless you are under attack from the start and need to defend.

Improving a corn/wheat/rice/game tile is even better than chopping.

4. Scholastic

Scholastic Chieftain

Generally:

First techs: Animal husbandry and agriculture, perhaps bronze working and masonry, and then straight to theology.

Generally, i build about the same stuff you do in that order. Warrior or two, etc etc etc, namely to let my population increase to about 3 or more, then worker. If you have agriculture and animal husbandry, you can get considerably population growth with that first worker.

This is where i deviate from yours and have a really cool way of doing things. An AI will not cross your borders without getting an open borders agreement or declaring war. So what i do is, when i build settlers, i start to make a number of cities so that my cultural influence creates a border across the area i wanna claim, and refuse any and all open borders agreements, leaving the cultural influence an impassible wall to anyone else who would otherwise try to take that land, leaving you able to secure you a decent bit of land.

After i do this, i focus first on money, and then on education, in that order to stabilize my economy.

5. Scholastic

Scholastic Chieftain

that's just stupid. If you build a worker first, you'll be sacrificing population growth.

6. Jantis

Jantis Chieftain

Let me get this out of the way first: Stating that a person's idea is stupid is a really bad way to start off any comment. It is unnecessary and rude. I suggest you take a different approach in the future if you want people to take you seriously. But take my comments for what they are worth to you.

As for the point of sacrificing population growth - generally most people feel it is well worth getting as early access to both tile development and/or chopping by sacrificing a few turns of growth. What is the point of growing your city if the most you get is one or two extra food or hammers? Don't just think 10 turns or 20 turns, you have to think of 50 turns and 100. Sometimes it is worth an early (15 turns) sacrifice in production in order to get much greater yields in the long run because your worker has built a mine or a farm within 20 turns of you starting the game. Then when you throw in things like chop rushing, you can end up with two workers, or a worker and a settler or whatever other combinations - which gives you a distinct advantage while you're still in the early game (around 100-200 turns). You cannot simply look at it in the short term, you have to look long term, too.

But there are different ways to play the game. If it works for you, then that's great. Just remember as you get on higher playing levels some of these suggestions people have given you. You will find they aren't always so "stupid" after all.

7. Finite Monkey

Finite Monkey Warlord

Given the above comment I find your name ironic. You shut down an idea wihout really giving it thought.

Depending upon my Civ's strating techs and available resources I very well might build the worker first.

Personally it usually works out for me as 1 warrior while researching bronze working then time my first worker to come out right about the time bronze working is completed.

As the above poster commented though you sacrifice initial population growth you more than make up for it in initial production which is when it matters most. A size 3 city with 6 production (generous estimate here) is not nearly as good as a size 1-2 city with a worker.

8. jedimogg

jedimogg Chieftain

i usually play on epic or marathon

i usually build warriors until my city reaches pop 2. then i build a worker (assuming you have techs that give your workers something to do). then more warriors until you reach pop 3. then a settler. as soon as i research archery, i switch from warriors to archers. i try to have about 5 or 6 military units to defend the barb rush and prevent barbs from pilliaging my improvements. all the while i research the techs to build the oracle, and use the oracle to discover metal casting.