Game won't display properly in my monitor

Toulouse

Warlord
Thanks for reading this.

After the most recent patch I decided to give this game another try.

However, when I load the game it starts in a window at a very low resolution (the intro movie). When I escape to the main menu, I get a full screen but it doesn't fit -- it's too big -- same for the game.

Seems like a simple enough problem to fix, but I can't figure it out. My screen resolution is 1900x1200.

What kind of screen proportions are that o_O? It's not 16:9 and not 4:3...er...wait...math...19:12. Might just be that it's not supported.

If CIV V doesn't support 1900x1200 screen resolution, then why is an option then? Or perhaps I misunderstand you or vice versa.

You understood me right. :think: well, good question.
Might be, that something is borked here. In one of the patches, user were forced to start with windowed mode, if the game doesn't detect a supported resolution. This seems to be the case here, but then i have no idea why it switches back to fullscreen mode :think:.
I guess there's currently no other option than playing in windowed mode :sad:.

In one of the patches, user were forced to start with windowed mode

Is this true? We all have to start with windowed mode now? It used to work perfectly in full screen in my native resolution.

I actually reinstalled the game to solve this problem to no avail:confused:

------------------------------------------

Getting desperate now...I seem unable to get the game image to fit in my computer monitor fullscreen. Any ideas at all?

The only way I can get the game image to fit my screen so it syncs with where my mouse is on the screen is to play in a window mode at 1536 x960 resolution.

It gets worse. :hammer2:

But I can't reach all the UI to click on things -- because the windows toolbar at the bottom gets in the way. Disturbingly, I can use my mouse to move around the map, I can only click and grab the map to move it.

What is going on?

Is this true? We all have to start with windowed mode now?

No, only if you have an unusual resolution.

...else...no idea :dunno:. Do you have another monitor with which you could test if it's computer or resolution dependent?

Change the in-game resolution to 1900x1200.

Interesting idea but we can't change graphic settings in-game.

The only thing I can think of that's changed since I last played this game in December (besides the patches) is I'm using Windows 7 now instead of Vista, and I've updated my Nvidia driver but the driver is from January. Plus I reinstalled the game yesterday.

I had a similar screen-fit problem with Men of War and as I recall there was something, some command -- alt + ? that forces the game to fit the monitor display. Not working right now though.

You can't change them in-game (when playing a game of CiV) but what about on the main menu via "options"? Not trying to patronizing just don't fully understand your problem.

You can't change them in-game (when playing a game of CiV) but what about on the main menu via "options"? Not trying to patronizing just don't fully understand your problem.

My problem is that when I set -- using the main menu -- the video display to my native resolution 1900 x1200, the picture becomes too big for my monitor and thus is unplayable. The only way I can play the game is at a much lower resolution. I used to be able to play the game at my native resolution.

My problem is that when I set -- using the main menu -- the video display to my native resolution 1900 x1200, the picture becomes too big for my monitor and thus is unplayable. The only way I can play the game is at a much lower resolution. I used to be able to play the game at my native resolution.
That is actually quite annoying...

No idea what may cause this. What have you tried to solve this? Did you manually update your video drivers already? Also if you use another resolution, it it then ok again?

The game fits only at 1536 x 960, playing in windowed mode. The intro movie always loads in windowed mode whether I have full screen selected or not. It used to work fine. This is all post patch and upgrading to Windows 7 on my part.

In full screen mode, the game never fits my 24" screen or matches up with my cursor. I've been trying to get 2K to help me solve this problem for two weeks but it's devolved into...every other day I get an email from 2K support asking me questions I've already answered such as "what is your native resolution."

Time to unistall and forget about this game I guess. :hammer2:

Had some small hope with the new Nvidia drivers and it worked one time with the new drivers installed. After that, it's back to the same old -- the intro movie loads in a very low-res windowed mode when DX 11 is selected and once I get to the splash screen and the rest of the game the video is too large for my screen...

Alt-enter is the fit to screen command...

Have you upgraded from vista, or did you do a fresh install?

At the moment I am wondering what brand of screen you use. Sometimes a screen too can profit from installing a driver that is a few kb. Did you look for a driver like that?

Falling that, see if you can find a file that saves the settings. Maybe that file borges and you need tomanually update it.

Alt-enter is the fit to screen command...

Have you upgraded from vista, or did you do a fresh install?

At the moment I am wondering what brand of screen you use. Sometimes a screen too can profit from installing a driver that is a few kb. Did you look for a driver like that?

Falling that, see if you can find a file that saves the settings. Maybe that file borges and you need tomanually update it.

Hey man thanks for these suggestions. Alt- enter doesn't work I actually have tried that before.

My monitor did have a new driver for my 2408wfp dell monitor but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to install it. Long story and may require my contacting Dell directly. Yes I upgraded in January to Windows 7 perhaps that is the source of the problem? Note all other games (14 or 15) work fine. I've uninstalled-reinstalled Civ V but that didn't work either.

Control panel --> Device manager --> Monitors, right click, properties --> Driver --> update driver --> Browse my computer ...

Right, but when I get to the "driver" folder in C:\DELL\DRIVER\R222066\driver --where the new driver files are located, windows won't let me open that last subfolder. My only option at that point is to click next. When I click next then windows states that I already have the best driver installed.

OK, I see the problem, and a quick look at the dell support page seem to indicate that their "install instructions" were copy'n pasted from some other driver and wouldn't work with that zip file :crazyeye:

The specs for that monitor indicate a unusually large range of supported refresh rates. Does it run with 59 or 60 Hz?

OK, I see the problem, and a quick look at the dell support page seem to indicate that their "install instructions" were copy'n pasted from some other driver and wouldn't work with that zip file :crazyeye:

The specs for that monitor indicate a unusually large range of supported refresh rates. Does it run with 59 or 60 Hz?

It can run with either. It is currently set at 59. The optimal resolution is 60 Hhz

Top Bottom