game won't play

witko

Chieftain
running civ3 complete on macbookpro(10.4.11). game was playing fine last week. nothing changed but now game won't even start. click on icon in dock and icon "bounces" then nothing. click on icon in HD, icon "expands" then nothing. restarted comp, turned com on & off, reinstalled civ3, checked cd drive, still nothing. everything else on the comp is fine but civ3 won't start. :confused:

suggestions would be appreciated

I guess it's finding your DVD OK, otherwise you would get the "Please insert the original disc" message. Does the same thing happen if you try to run Play The World?

Try holding down the Option key while you launch it, to get the Display Preferences dialog up. If that appears, check the settings. Maybe something there has become corrupt.

Next option - try trashing the Preferences file. It's at:
<Home>/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.civ3conquests.plist

If that doesn't help, try trashing the .ini file:
/Users/alan/Library/Preferences/Civilization 3 Complete/conquests.ini

You could try reinstalling Civ - maybe something in the software is corrupted.

Have you contacted Aspyr Support?

Is anything written to your system or console log when this happens?

You can open the logs by launching /Applications/Utilities/Console and then selecting 'Open System Log' and 'Open Console Log' in the File menu. There may also be something in the CrashLog for Civ3.

still no luck. console log states: "Could not generate XML data for property list"

Have you recently installed the Quicktime 7.6 upgrade? Some Civ4 users who are still on Tiger are reporting that they can't launch Civ4 since the update.

If so, it may be worth starting to investigate out how to revert to the previous Quicktime version,

yep, according to aspyr, quicktime's recent update to 7.6 for the tiger platform won't allow many applications to function - including civ3. apple is aware, but there's nothing available at the moment to correct this. rolling back to quicktime 7.55 seems to be the only way around it.

Isteve's version of fixing the QT problem works great! This is a great site so glad I found it.

Thanks guys now I can feed my addiction even more!

thanx to AlanH, iSteve and all involved. installed QT 7.3.1 using Pacifist and the game is up and running again.

Top Bottom